• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

New BBS Trailer and Nomura Interview!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
no i think aqua is still pretty bad. we only got one scene from him. we haven't heard any scenes where he needs to add that emotion.

that was only one scene and it was the first scene we saw when the japanese version came out. so we can't judge vanitas too fast, but from with that one line it sounds alright. when i heard the jap version i actually thought johny yong bosch could pull of vanitas.

anyways unlike vanitas ENG, we heard aqua when she's serious and when she tries to add emotion. she has potential but i'm still hoping for more

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
Well the JAP version sounds more bad*** and more like "I'll kill everyone and enjoy it!" while the ENG version sounds much more (dare I say it)... emo. All I hear from the ENG version is Sora trying to act serious. I don't get the "Yeah I'll kill everyone and enjoy it!" type of feel with the ENG version of Vanitas. I just get "I'm going to act very serious..." Heck, I think Vanitas's ENG VA has the LEAST emotion out of all the cast to be honest.
so basically the JAP version of Vanitas is just a "I'll kill everything." version of Sora and the ENG is the "I'm a douche." version of Sora. The ENG version of Sora is how I envisioned Vanitas to act anyway. He certainly wasn't "i'll kill you crazy" when he was talking with MX in LOD or when he met Ven in DI or when he met Ven in his room.

And how you say he has the least emotion when you've only heard two lines.....

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
so basically the JAP version of Vanitas is just a "I'll kill everything." version of Sora and the ENG is the "I'm a douche." version of Sora. The ENG version of Sora is how I envisioned Vanitas to act anyway. He certainly wasn't "i'll kill you crazy" when he was talking with MX in LOD or when he met Ven in DI or when he met Ven in his room.

And how you say he has the least emotion when you've only heard two lines.....

Well it wasn't just "I'll kill everything!" like the Hulk or anything. It was more like those cool villains who love what they do and are excited whenever they do something evil. He was pure evil. Vanitas was just Sora trying to act emo. And yes, he wasn't "I'll kill you" crazy in his talk with MX HOWEVER he still sounded like he was enjoying what he was doing and had some personality to him. With HJO... it's just the stereotypical emo voice that has been used in almost every single anime ever.

Because in those two lines he had no emotion, duh, why else would I say he has the least emotion?

Allister Rose

French Lover
again, not even in the first time we heard his voice we got that impression right off the back. it's one line and it was the same line they originally showed to the japanese one. i think we got the idea of his crazy yet charismatic tone when he first laughed

αsiя

space coke
Don't use "emo" when not knowing what it means, because Vanitas sounds no where near emo.

Last edited:

loke13

αsiя;5177352 said:
Don't use "emo" when not knowing what it means, because Vanitas did not sound no where near emo.
I agree with Asir what the heck do you mean by EMO?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
again, not even in the first time we heard his voice we got that impression right off the back. it's one line and it was the same line they originally showed to the japanese one. i think we got the idea of his crazy yet charismatic tone when he first laughed

I didn't. With ENG Vanitas VA the first thing I thought was "EMO!" and then I immediately thought "SORA!" and to be honest, I still feel that way. I NEVER got that with the JAP VA. I always found him to be more of the cool villain who loves what he does but isn't necessarily "joker insanity" either. Basically I got pure evil. With the ENG VA... I don't get that at all. I don't sense much evil in him. It just sounds like he's going "Oh, I'm Vanitas. I'm acting very serious because I'm talking in a dark tone... I don't enjoy what I do and I am adding very little emotion to my voice but just because I'm lowering my voice slightly makes me cool..." which is terrible in my opinion. And another problem is that he sounds FAR TOO MUCH LIKE SORA! Seriously, I can't listen to his voice for a second without thinking "it's Sora! It's Sora!" because HJO does NOT disguise his voice AT ALL and it irritates me. The JAP voice NEVER sounded like Sora. Even without the mask, it still didn't sound like Sora. Heck, if anything it sounded more like JAP Riku than Sora. But with HJO... it's terrible at how he fails to make a voice separate from Sora's.

loke13 said:
I agree with Asir what the heck do you mean by EMO?
The emotionless no-lifes who go "Oh my life sucks so much! I'm gonna go cut myself in a corner with a knife!" that put little to no emotion in their speech whatsoever. What else would I be talking about?

Allister Rose

French Lover
1. you already spoiled yourself, so your a bit bias. i barely hear it, but it doesn't exactly scream that VA. another thing you basically described someone just by one line. and no, you don't get joker insanity by the same line in JAP.

and i bet the crazy evil VA you heard was when he did the laugh, not when we heard that line for the first time (JAP).

loke13

FAR TOO MUCH LIKE SORA! Seriously, I can't listen to his voice for a second without thinking "it's Sora! It's Sora!" because HJO does NOT disguise his voice AT ALL and it irritates me. The JAP voice NEVER sounded like Sora. Even without the mask, it still didn't sound like Sora. Heck, if anything it sounded more like JAP Riku than Sora. But with HJO... it's terrible at how he fails to make a voice separate from Sora's.
Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how many people figured out that Vanitas VA was Sora's in the JAP version? Hell there were even Youtube videos about it.

αsiя

space coke
I didn't. With ENG Vanitas VA the first thing I thought was "EMO!" and then I immediately thought "SORA!" and to be honest, I still feel that way. I NEVER got that with the JAP VA. I always found him to be more of the cool villain who loves what he does but isn't necessarily "joker insanity" either. Basically I got pure evil. With the ENG VA... I don't get that at all. I don't sense much evil in him. It just sounds like he's going "Oh, I'm Vanitas. I'm acting very serious because I'm talking in a dark tone... I don't enjoy what I do and I am adding very little emotion to my voice but just because I'm lowering my voice slightly makes me cool..." which is terrible in my opinion. And another problem is that he sounds FAR TOO MUCH LIKE SORA! Seriously, I can't listen to his voice for a second without thinking "it's Sora! It's Sora!" because HJO does NOT disguise his voice AT ALL and it irritates me. The JAP voice NEVER sounded like Sora. Even without the mask, it still didn't sound like Sora. Heck, if anything it sounded more like JAP Riku than Sora. But with HJO... it's terrible at how he fails to make a voice separate from Sora's.

You're comparing a professional voice actor with a someone who isn't a professional. It's just like you feel Terra's VA fits him in the English version but not in the JP version, I see the opposite. Sure I like Vanitas JP VA more but the English VA is what I expected.

Also you need to found out what "emo" actually means.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
1. you already spoiled yourself, so your a bit bias. i barely hear it, but it doesn't exactly scream that VA. another thing you basically described someone just by one line. and no, you don't get joker insanity by the same line in JAP.

and i bet the crazy evil VA you heard was when he did the laugh, not when we heard that line for the first time (JAP).

1. I didn't spoil myself, my friends spoiled me. Trust me, I HATE spoilers. And no, I'm not biased just because I saw his face. The JAP version NEVER sounded like that character even when the mask was removed. So if I truly was biased about this, I would go out and say Vanitas JAP voice sounded like Sora but it doesn't. It sounds more like Riku than Sora And yes it does scream out his VA... A LOT.

Okay I never said "crazy evil" I just said pure evil. There's a difference. And no, I got the pure evil vibe directly when he first spoke in the early trailers. The laugh made me get a "crazy evil" vibe but before that I got a "pure evil" vibe. The thing is that Vanitas ENG VA fails to provide either of these. Yes, I know there are still more lines to come... but I can still judge what I've heard so far. Heck BBS didn't come out but you're still saying Aqua's VA sucks so I can do the exact same thing. I can hope that Vanitas ENG VA provides the "pure evil" feel but right now he just sounds like a stereotypical emo version of Sora.

asir said:
You're comparing a professional voice actor with a someone who isn't a professional.
I'm comparing the ENG and JAP version of an actor. Which is what almost everyone has done thus far so why am I suddenly guilty when others do the exact same thing? And HJO has been in so many movies (including voice work), don't give me this crap about him being "unprofessional"

asir said:
Also you need to found out what "emo" actually means.

I know what it means, it's a type of music. But so many people already describe emo as those who hate life that is might as well just be a second definition.

Allister Rose

French Lover
1. I didn't spoil myself, my friends spoiled me. Trust me, I HATE spoilers. And no, I'm not biased just because I saw his face. The JAP version NEVER sounded like that character even when the mask was removed. So if I truly was biased about this, I would go out and say Vanitas JAP voice sounded like Sora but it doesn't. It sounds more like Riku than Sora And yes it does scream out his VA... A LOT.

Okay I never said "crazy evil" I just said pure evil. There's a difference. And no, I got the pure evil vibe directly when he first spoke in the early trailers. The laugh made me get a "crazy evil" vibe but before that I got a "pure evil" vibe. The thing is that Vanitas ENG VA fails to provide either of these. Yes, I know there are still more lines to come... but I can still judge what I've heard so far. Heck BBS didn't come out but you're still saying Aqua's VA sucks so I can do the exact same thing. I can hope that Vanitas ENG VA provides the "pure evil" feel but right now he just sounds like a stereotypical emo version of Sora.

it's not emo....either way everyone got pissy with me because i did the same with aqua.....and i still have some-what the same opinion.

but vanitas is different, we got only one line. and trust me, there were youtube videos of it as loke13 said. so maybe you didn't get it but others did. and it doesn't even matter who spoiled you. point is your slightly more bias and yes the JAP VA is more profesional at hiding his voice.

but oh well, MX and terra could do a little better, and Aqua can do a hell a lot better

αsiя

space coke

I'm comparing the ENG and JAP version of an actor. Which is what almost everyone has done thus far so why am I suddenly guilty when others do the exact same thing? And HJO has been in so many movies (including voice work), don't give me this crap about him being "unprofessional"

I know what it means, it's a type of music. But so many people already describe emo as those who hate life that is might as well just be a second definition.

HJO has only VA for KH and for 3 other Disney films, which non require him to sound like a serious evil person.

I meant professional voice actor. There is a difference between voice actor and a actor. HJO has been doing the same character for a long time, he never got a chance to do different type of voices like Sora's JP VA.

Emo is a scene, not a type of music. Sure it's labeled with music, but there is a difference. "Emo" is a person who whines for no reason. Vanitas sounds nothing like a whiner. He only sounds like a more serious Sora, not a whiny Sora

Last edited:

loke13

Now you see that were are opinions differ you say he has no emotion in the trailer I say he does he's clearly mocking Ven in the trailer with his line "Exactly what I said IDIOT...." considering Vanitas wasn't supposed to exist in the first place, an "I hate life." attitude seems to be the perfect way to go if you're voicing a kid filled with negative emotions.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Now you see that were are opinions differ you say he has no emotion in the trailer I say he does he's clearly mocking Ven in the trailer with his line "Exactly what I said IDIOT...."

I said little to no emotion. There was small emotion in it, but it was very slight and still didn't do it for me. With the JAP version I hear a lot more emotion into it.

AlisterRose said:
but vanitas is different, we got only one line. and trust me, there were youtube videos of it as loke13 said. so maybe you didn't get it but others did. and it doesn't even matter who spoiled you. point is your slightly more bias and yes the JAP VA is more profesional at hiding his voice.

Vanitas isn't different in any way than you judging Aqua. Did you play the English version of the game? No. Doesn't matter how many clips you view, unless you watch an entire play-through your opinion of Aqua is as good as my opinion on Vanitas. And being spoiled the identity doesn't make me any more biased at all. If his identity would change the way I heard his voice, it would've done the exact same for Vanitas JAP VA. But no, how I heard the JAP VA didn't change due to knowing his face. Even without the mask, I would've thought "Hmm... Vanitas sounds an awful lot like Sora." Heck, I have a friend who managed not to get spoiled and he still thinks Vanitas sounds like Sora. Knowing the identity doesn't make me hear his voice any different. AT ALL.

Allister Rose

French Lover
but the thing is it's only you while others already did. it was already hinted on youtube.

and i don't think it's a problem to sound like him. just look at xion, does anyone had a problem with her sounding like kairi?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Allister Rose said:
but the thing is it's only you while others already did. it was already hinted on youtube.
What's only me? Who are these "others" and what did they do? What was hinted on youtube? That line makes no sense :/

and i don't think it's a problem to sound like him. just look at xion, does anyone had a problem with her sounding like kairi?

It IS a problem because his voice spoils his identity which is a MAJOR SPOILER. And Xion is completely different because she already looks like Kairi. It's not like she had a secret identity (okay she kind of did) that had it so that her sounding like Kairi would spoil anything. Vanitas sounding like Sora basically spoils his entire identity because it's obvious the ONLY reason they'd get HJO to play Vanitas is because he looks like Sora. Otherwise, it's obvious they would've gotten a different actor. So yes, it DOES matter who Vanitas sounds like.

loke13

I said little to no emotion. There was small emotion in it, but it was very slight and still didn't do it for me. With the JAP version I hear a lot more emotion into it.
[video=youtube;9by7gPexnCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9by7gPexnCM[/video]

I don't hear this so called emotion you keep talking about in fact he sounds the same if it wasn't for the you know language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back