• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► NEO: The World Ends With You announced to release Summer 2021

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Thirteen years ago, the cult classic The World Ends With You (JPN: すばらしきこのせかい Subarashiki Kono Sekai trans. It's a Wonderful World) released on the Nintendo DS in Japan to critical acclaim. It has spawned an iOS/Android remake in 2012 with a special teaser featuring a brand new character hinting towards a continuation of the seriesa now-defunct free-to-play mobile game, a Nintendo Switch port in 2018 that added a brand new chapter called "A New Day" which further teased a continuation of the TWEWY franchise, and an anime coming in 2021

Despite the countless album releases with brand new remixes of classic hits, an abundance of new merchandise, even the formation of a band named after the infamous Def Märch (JPN: Death March) from the game, the announcement of the next installment continued to elude us.

That is, until now.

Square Enix has announced NEO: The World Ends With You for release on the Nintendo Switch and PS4 in Summer 2021.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, the rumored Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus series, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deliverance

Awards
God knows they tried for years to make the original popular enough to justify a sequel, so good for them on finally getting it out. Just please stop using KH to advertise it.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Something I noticed about Rindo btw

Apparently you can't be the protag of a TWEWY game unless you love Jupiter of the Monkey lololol

also i am so hype for this i woke up like 5 minutes before the countdown ended so i saw this first thing in the morning and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
God knows they tried for years to make the original popular enough to justify a sequel, so good for them on finally getting it out. Just please stop using KH to advertise it.

On one hand I definitely want them to stop that bs of putting it in KH to make it catch on, but on the other hand there is that part of me that still wants to see Sora and Riku go to Shibuya at some point so I'd be happy for a crossover again, but only if TWEWY is also allowed to stand on its own and be what it is.

Something I noticed about Rindo btw

Apparently you can't be the protag of a TWEWY game unless you love Jupiter of the Monkey lololol

also i am so hype for this i woke up like 5 minutes before the countdown ended so i saw this first thing in the morning and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

YEAH! I noticed it too. J of M suits them well xD

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
OHMYGOD! IT'S HAPPENING! TWEWY IS GONNA HIT FULL MAINSTREAM!

I feel like Neo: TWEWY is gonna be the new mainline of TWEWY and this will be the staple gameplay to make it a franchise

Also:

The Neo cast is just Zennial TWEWY :v

Edit:

On one hand I definitely want them to stop that bs of putting it in KH to make it catch on, but on the other hand there is that part of me that still wants to see Sora and Riku go to Shibuya at some point so I'd be happy for a crossover again, but only if TWEWY is also allowed to stand on its own and be what it is.
Neo: TWEWY x KH

Play as Sora/Riku using pins

:O

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Oh, neat. I wonder why PS4 though, but who cares since backwards compatibility is now a thing again (…after 14 years…)?

They still haven’t revealed Hype-chan’s name.

D

Deleted member 246005

It looks cool. I never got to play the original but always wanted to so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

KeyToDestiny

Awards
I still can't believe this is happening. But the signs were pointing towards it(remaster, anime etc) I didn't wanna hype myself too much but thank goodness it's happening.

Oh, neat. I wonder why PS4 though, but who cares since backwards compatibility is now a thing again (…after 14 years…)?

They still haven’t revealed Hype-chan’s name.
Her name's Tsugumi Matsunae.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Her name's Tsugumi Matsunae.
Huh, I guess I missed an article or interview somewhere. Ah well, who cares?

What matters is the game’s finally announced and TWEWY fans can celebrate.

I wonder what other surprises there’s going to be for 2021.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
She says her name in the trailer xD
Not exactly fluent in Japanese here. Only used the language when speaking or writing business, and even then there’s speech lapses and kanji homophonic difficulty.:ROFLMAO:But if it keeps the dough rolling I’ll even study Dutch or Swahili or something.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I wonder why PS4 though,
This is just my Marketing side speaking, but it's possible that Square Enix's Marketing re-examined TWEWY as a brand. That would entail a plan, meaning that they must have enlisted a couple of objectives, and I'm sure one of them was "broaden audience" (get to more people).

This is where the Animé comes into play and the decision to make Neo multiplat instead of just Switch exclusive, even though the franchise has been loyal to Nintendo machines (NDS, NS).

With that said, it's possible that Square has high-hopes for TWEWY as a brand and Neo and the Animé may just be a part of what could be a rich future for the series.

Edit:

Also, THEORY TIME!

Tsugumi has red-eyes. I presume she's being controlled by a Red Pin. Question is: who and why?

Also, "Tsugumi" means "thrush" which is... "Thrush (oropharyngeal candidiasis) is a medical condition in which a yeast-like fungus called Candida albicans overgrows in the mouth and throat. Thrush may be triggered to occur by a variety of factors, including illness, pregnancy, medications, smoking, or dentures.". Her condition? Dead. Fungus in the mouth and throat? Someone controlling her via the Red Pin.

"Matsunae" seems to be the combination of something with "seedling". There are some plant metaphors with this girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back