• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Need some serious help...first time with a pet..

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaldin

Bronze Member
Awards
Alright this is a long story.

I was basically walking to my house, after pondering on getting a haircut (After all my damn hair is actually past my knees, and it's too brushed out like girl's hair so I hate it ><). When I saw this cute dog on the street. The problem was she was shaking and was so skinny when I petted her, I could feel her bones through her body which was a bad sign already. So I wasted my dinner food to buy dog food, to feed her. And obviously she was starving cause she almost ate it all.

So of course feeling sorry for her, I took her home, and since my parents practically live a whole floor away from me, they couldn't care less about the dog making a mess, since it'd only be upstairs not downstairs.

I already gave her a full time bath, and took her out for a walk before.

But I really really need help, this is my first time with a dog, she has no collar, so I think either her owner abandoned her, or she's really a full time stray. But she doesn't know how to fend for herself so I'm thinking abandonment.

I have no idea on the breed either.

dog92.jpg

This is EXACTLY how she looks, this picture's from this list of over 500 dog types. I could actually call her a twin.

But seriously guys, I need help.

Devious

If you plan to keep her, get a collar and a tag. There is actually a chip that you can get "installed" into the dog, just behind the shoulder blade, that works much like a collar and tag except more High-Tech.

If you don't want to keep her, I would say you should take her to a shelter or pin up signs that say "Dog Needed for a Home" or something of the like.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
Well you could either take her to the animal shelter, however doing that she's not guaranteed a good home or even if she'll live for that matter (because as you know after a certain amount of time they'll put the dog down)

It's either that or you take her in as your own and give her the type of home she deserves and be the best damn pet owner you can. It's hard at first, but after a while actually it's not that much of a burden as at first.

*I'm only saying the second option, because thats how i got the dog i have now, we found her the day before my birthday (ironically the exact type of dog i was supposed to be getting anyway) and then we got another, well technically we only paid for one, and *yada yada, she had puppies with the one we actually bout and yeah now i have 6 that live with me in my big house...*

Joy

Bronze Member
If you want to keep it, take it to the vet ASAP and have it checked out. The dog could be hurt, and the vet would help with that. Also, go get tags for the dog, and maybe the chip as others have suggested. Also, GET A RABIES SHOT! If this dog is a stray, then it could have rabies, which is NOT good.

If you don't want it, then shelter would work, though the dog might not be guaranteed to live.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
DO NOT LET HER EAT TOO MUCH. A bowl (or two early on, since she's so thin) is enough. Otherwise she'll get sick. She'll want to eat a lot more than she needs to, but you don't want that. And I know the name of that breed, but it's in the back of my head. Dx It's a type of Shepard. Meaning, that breed needs lots of space to romp and play. If she's healthy enough, that is. >.> But yeah. Go to the nearest Petsmart. Those people are always helpful.

And, seeing as you said it's your first time having a dog...I don't know if you know this. But feeding a dog chocolate is fatal. Most consider this common sense, but...you never know what others don't know.

Oh yeah. A common trait among strays or abused dogs is a random outburst of aggression. It may not happen for your dog, but don't get mad at her if it does.

And another edit. That dog's not healthy. There's no "not guaranteed to live" if you put in a shelter. It won't live. Plain and simple. I hate giving the truth sometimes. -.- My family put a puppy in a shelter once, and told them to give it to us if the owner dosen't come for it in a week. They put it to sleep the next day.

Last edited:

Savior of Dawn

Leader of the Dai Gurren Brigade
You'll need:
-Collar
-Tag (Register her)
-Food
-Vaccines (Get these as soon as possible, otherwise you can't let the dog out. The dog could catch something from a stray.)
-Find a local veterinarian (so you can ask for advice, get vaccines, and get checkups)
-Pay attention to the dog. Most likely this dog was abandoned, and is going to need a lot of emotional support. The best way to make a dog happy is to keep them on an equal level. Talk to her, pet her, hug her, kiss her, whatever. Treat it like it's your kid (Only, in this case, adopted).
-Leash. She'll need excursive, and it's a good way to bond with the dog. DO NOT TAKE HER ON WALKS UNTIL SHE'S BEEN VACCINATED.
-Training pads. Considering that she's going to be an inside dog, you'll need to train her to scratch the door when she needs to go to the bathroom.
-Dog Bed (Not necessarily needed) Inside dogs love sleeping, especially if you're not around. Try to get the point that she has her own bed, so she doesn't spread her fur 'n such all across your place.
-A name (She's gotta have a name. : P)

The vet could tell you the breed and the specific problems you may face with such breed. They can also tell you some generalizations of the breed.

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
That could be an Australian Shephard, but it doesn't look exactly like it...

I'm not sure what breed of dog it is, but just make sure you get all the shots taken care of and everything. Oh, and as mentioned before, maybe the dog HAS one of those chips, you should see if that's the case, too.

But make sure that you get her to the vet and all.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Pretty much agreeing with everyone else. Take her to the vet first though. Maybe she's got a bit of a flu or cold along with a sense of loneliness, but you never know with strays.

Someone mentioned a list of items and chores you'll have to do, but I'd also like to add that you make sure she's fixed. If not, spay her. Fixed animals won't make as much of a mess as a pup in the heat would. <-<

And I'm thinking border collie. o-o Or Australian Shepherd, but the border collie looks more like it.

Definitely put flyers up though. Take a picture, put it on a paper, put your name and number on there and post them up in the area you found her, on light poles and signs and in local stores and buildings and other such places. Specially those social areas a lot of people go to. She sounds abandoned, but you don't want to take a puppy from a little kid, do ya?

Good luck with her, hopefully you're able to keep her. Just make sure you don't neglect her. While I'm not a big fan of dogs, I wouldn't mind having one around as a companion. There's been many a dark night when I'd like a dog around to take care of the imaginary burglars. <<;;

Xaldin

Bronze Member
Awards
Thanks everyone ^^ I followed the advices as well and bought the things needed, and I'm not taking her to a shelter, cause I don't trust them that much anyways.

I'm going to be sure to take good care of her, still thinking of a name sadly x_x but these definatly helped me alot!

Thanks alot everyone!! <333333

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back