• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Need Some help being a gamer and a adult.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Hello next year i will be 20, and more mature by then. Now of course my gaming wishlist consist of games at the 59.96 range in the future. So any advice on to balance out to get games day one would be appreciated. its been awhile since i been here, so removed the post if needed be.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Uh...you mean you need advice to help you save money?
Well, first of all, it depends on the job you'll be having and the cost for your apartment and food. You could make a list where you write down how much money you have each month, how much you need to live (apartment, energy, food, maybe a little saving in case something like your fridge dies and you need to buy a new one) and then you'll see your spare money for every month. Handle that well and buying a game every few months shouldn't be a big problem.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
In life, in general, hobbies come last unless they are related to your work life. If gaming is what you claim as a hobby, then take care of yourself first before your hobby.

Now, the age 20 is still very early to consider all of this (in my opinion), but it's never "too early" to start pondering about it. As you grow older, you will learn to balance important aspects in your life to ensure you are living successfully.

$60 may not seem a lot to some, but to others it is. It all depends on your income. If you are stressed about your purchases, then ensure they are smart ones. For example, if your automobile or form of transportation requires maintenance that costs $60 and the new game of your dreams, Kingdom Hearts III, also costs $60, then I hope you would make the smart decision to take care of your transportation first.

Because if your transportation is not operational, then how will you get work? If you can't get to work, then how will you pay for bills? If you can't pay bills, then you risk damage to your credit, your name, your reputation, and above all it will limit what you can do in life. Sustaining your life as an adult is important. Otherwise, you risk on losing what you had first acquired, which are the important things in life like a roof over your head, the food you eat, and other life necessities. Not some game called Kingdom Hearts III.

Major Kingdom Hearts fans in their 20's will probably shriek in horror because they can't play their beloved game, but it's not the end of the world. The game isn't going anywhere. It's not like there won't be other possibilities to play the game. Just tell yourself "eventually," work hard, and reach your goal.

Other alternatives to this concern is saving. Save money for small purchases. This could be done by creating a piggy bank, a swear jar, or even by creating a second savings account. The point is you know in the future you will spend an amount of money on something. Therefore, save and store money without touching it.

One final mention is to always look out for sales. Sales can be your best friend. At times, I see new games discounted weeks after they have been released. So instead of purchasing the game at full price, wait a few weeks to find it on sale. This can save you a good amount of money in the long run which could then be used for more important matters.

Life is like a balancing act. Don't lose focus, work hard, and make important choices.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I actually had to get a refund on my 3DSXL because I was worried about my account going under $100 dollars. I want to make sure that there is $100 dollars in there, in case of emergencies like food. I am running low on groceries, so I am planning on getting some tomorrow.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I also recently had to make some decisions regarding my hobbies. The bills started piling up, things cost more, and honestly I just had to decide what I could do without and make some decisions in advance regarding games I wanted.

As stated above, bills and living expenses come first. You can always shop around and see if maybe you can find an internet or car insurance provider that can offer you a lower rate than what you pay, and this may be able to help you save a few bucks. Food, you know off-brand stuff, not too much unnecessary junk food, stuff like that will save money.

Once all of the essentials are taken care of, if you have money leftover that you want to put toward gaming, you might want to prioritize which new releases you want most and start putting back five bucks here and there for it until you know you have enough for it. As for the games you may not be able to grab on day 1 though, in a positive light they may be cheaper and even have some free game,fixing patches by the time you are able to grab it.

Malla

Gaming isn't that expensive if you have a nice job. I don't so I don't buy almost anything day one. On PlayStation store literally every game will be -30% or even -50% if you wait 3-7 months depending on game. Other benefit of waiting is that hype settles down and you end up buying less bad games.

Classic saving tip is to put money aside every time you are about to buy chocolate or something like that. Of course if you are already living healthy it won't work, but for me those 1-2$ purchases add up to 6-7 discounted videogames per year. My final tip is to avoid capitalistic buying frenzy and cherish every purchase, finish every game fully before chasing the next big thing. It has been pretty hard for me, but in the long run it works extremely well because you don't want to 100â„… average games so you skip those. Saves time and money for other hobbies or better games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back