• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Need help remembering a pc rpg from the 90s: offline, medieval-based, adventure

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
In my bedroom sitting on my bed. I may pick up a b
Bringing this over from another forum since you guys seem more experienced and knowledgeable about vidya games -

So yeah; seeing Suzuki playing Warriorcats reminded me of the old days in the late 90s playing my own rpg. I remember it was really fun and/or addicting; so much so that I used my hour lunch break for school in the Philippines for playing it. I want to see if it's still around and play it again~ You're gonna need some details to help whittle down the thousands out there.

As already mentioned in the other forum:

- 2D
- Computer-based (Windows 95 or 98, as this was the 90s)
- Medieval or Middle Ages-based, y'know, knights, kings, and princesses, as well as some archers, thieves, magicians, and thieves tagging along
- Bird's eye-view: camera looks at the top of the head, but somewhat at an angle so you can see the characters' faces
- Pixels~ like Warcraft but different styled
- Big head character design, but not too big. Similar to what you see in egoboo.
- It may have been downloaded from download.com or some other free download site and not bought. It was the early days of computer rpgs~ some of the best story and mechanics came up 'round these times so even free games were good ._.
- Battle screen; battles are not like in Diablo where you fight enemies right on the map or terrain, but rather like Pokemon or the Final Fantasies before XII

Games it is not:
Warcraft
egoboo
Ultima Online
Meridian 59
Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds
Tibia
Lineage
Mir 2
Endless online
Diablo
Age of Empires
Star Craft
Doom
Might and Magic

Games it could be:
Something made using a version or form of RPG Maker

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Diablo. For sure, its Diablo. Classic Action/ Role-Playing Game.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
It most definitely wasn't Diablo. The camera in Diablo is angle too far down toward the ground.

Another aspect you just helped me remember: the battle sequences were like the classic FF - on a preset battle thing, not on the actual map.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It most definitely wasn't Diablo. The camera in Diablo is angle too far down toward the ground.

Another aspect you just helped me remember: the battle sequences were like the classic FF - on a preset battle thing, not on the actual map.

Oh. Well i feel much more dumb now.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
..?

I have no idea.

Hrm....

What did the main characters look like?

First post was tl;dr

I don't remember any intro that showed a closeup or full view of the characters. But I do remember they wore Golden Sun-esque clothes.

Another detail: the characters look the same when going out into the world map as in the non-world map areas.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Oh no I know exactly what you are talking about but I can't remember it's name!

When you go into battle is it sort of like a chessboard with your team on one side and the enemies on the other? And could you get Archangels and monks?

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
Oh no I know exactly what you are talking about but I can't remember it's name!

When you go into battle is it sort of like a chessboard with your team on one side and the enemies on the other? And could you get Archangels and monks?
Uhh.. no. Actually I'm not sure; your description is so vivid it makes me think maybe it was. But I never noticed a chessboard on the floor of the battle screen, and I mean the black-and-white-checkered kind of chessboard. There may have been lined squares on the floor. JUST TELL ME WHAT GAME YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT ;-;

Faris

Perfect Harmony
No there wasn't a chess board that was just the best way I could think to describe it cause you're team is on one side of the map and the enemies is on the other and they were lines up like pieces on a board I think.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Foto%2BHeroes%2Bof%2BMight%2Band%2BMagic%2B%255BJewel%2BCase%255D.jpg

This is the game I am thinking of. The Heroes of Might and Magic series.

W

westcoasynavykid

was it birthright??
over head view. turn based strat, RPG mode dungeon, multiple races, risk type map... Just an idea.

DrakeUltima

Awards
Bringing this over from another forum since you guys seem more experienced and knowledgeable about vidya games - So yeah; seeing Suzuki playing Warriorcats reminded me of the old days in the late 90s playing my own rpg. I remember it was really fun and/or addicting; so much so that I used my hour lunch break for school in the Philippines for playing it. I want to see if it's still around and play it again~ You're gonna need some details to help whittle down the thousands out there. As already mentioned in the other forum: - 2D - Computer-based (Windows 95 or 98, as this was the 90s) - Medieval or Middle Ages-based, y'know, knights, kings, and princesses, as well as some archers, thieves, magicians, and thieves tagging along - Bird's eye-view: camera looks at the top of the head, but somewhat at an angle so you can see the characters' faces - Offline - Pixels~ like Warcraft but different styled - Big head character design, but not too big. Similar to what you see in egoboo. - It may have been downloaded from download.com or some other free download site and not bought. It was the early days of computer rpgs~ some of the best story and mechanics came up 'round these times so even free games were good ._. - Battle screen; battles are not like in Diablo where you fight enemies right on the map or terrain, but rather like Pokemon or the Final Fantasies before XII Games it is not: Warcraft egoboo Ultima Online Meridian 59 Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds Tibia Lineage Mir 2 Endless online Diablo Age of Empires Star Craft Doom Might and Magic Games it could be: Something made using a version or form of RPG Maker

Wow, I'm also searching this game for years.

At start you will change the skin color, and stuff in your avatar. Then you'll wake up in a castle then some "Sir" will talk to you and once you attacked one of those guards they'll chase you and kill you.

You can learn swordsmanship, fireball/magic, bow and arrow. You can open chests and get what's inside, roam around the castle to search for items. You can buy tunics in the market. And also, there is a strong guard using a tower shield, so you can steal it by killing that guard.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
It's not the old Ultima, or Birthright, or Castle of the Winds. It looked more like the games made with RPGMaker and more anime-style, like the old FF games.

It's been over 10 years and I'm still not able to remember the name of this game, even though the image of it sticks in my head.

Some more details. In the first (or one of the first) screens you're in the throne room, presumably after being summoned there. The king, with his queen beside him and the attendants also standing in the room, talks to you about something that needs to be done. Beside you are 2-3 of your companions. After the talk is over you go to the left side to get out of the castle and then up to go to the next map.

There are different classes in this game. Knight, magician/wizard, and archer are ones I can definitely remember. The fight scenes were in 2D and the fighters are on opposite sides, with the player team on the bottom and enemy team on the top side.

LadyCole

Awards
I know exactly what you are talking about and I am looking for the name too. It did have some chess aspect to it but none of these are even close :(

LadyCole

Awards
I know exactly what you are talking about and I am looking for the name too. It did have some chess aspect to it but none of these are even close :(
Nope I was wrong. I think I was thinking of that encyclopedia Encarta game. The image does not really match my memory but the music does. And the checkerboard floor seems to fit. Good luck to you😕😶‍🌫️

Back