• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Nearly anorexic?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I was debating making a thread about this or not, but I seriously could use some help. It's not so serious that I need to go see a doctor or anything, but I admit that I'm not eating much at all and basically starving myself. However, it's a strange case and I kinda wanted to see if this happened to anybody before, too. I'm NOT starving myself on purpose. I'm not that stupid. :[

Ever since I saw a certain movie called... I dunno... maybe "The Dark Knight", I've basically been 'afraid to swallow'. That's not necessarily what it is, but you could explain it like that. It's basically you go to swallow, you panic because you think you're going to choke or something, and end up not eating; it also applies to drinking, too. It happened when I was little, I got over it, but it's back and I seriously do NOT understand why I do it. I think if I get too scared, I get afraid to swallow and starve myself. It also has something to do with conjestion and allergies. D:

I know this has happened to my dad and I've talked to him about it, but he doesn't seem like he could offer much help other than what he's told me already. I just don't want to become anorexic and I've been definitely trying to get over this whole thing. Though, the fact that I've been losing weight actually is making me want to not get over it just for a little bit. That's probably very stupid of me, but it's starting to get pretty tempting even if it's unhealthy weight loss. Still very stupid of me to consider that, though. >.< [and i'm not even overweight... o__0;]

So, has anybody else ever had something like this happen to them?

...And please don't tell me to go eat a sandwich. Or go eat something. I'll try, but this thing is a pain in the butt and is saying 'NO YOU CAN'T EAT SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS SOUP.' Anywho...

Thanks in advance!

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
...And please don't tell me to go eat a sandwich. Or go eat something.
I honestly chuckled when I saw this sentence.

Regardless, I don't know how much I can help you. The best thing I can say right now is instead of trying to eat, try to kinda psyche yourself into eating. Just kinda try telling yourself that if you shallow, you won't choke.

T

Tyler Durden

How would watching 'The Dark Knight' make you afraid of swallowing?

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Heights? I dunno. . .

You're having a problem drinking too?

I say just start with a little bit of anything, yes, Jell-o would work. As long as you can get something, and the next time eat a little bit more, you should be fine.

It's all in your head, so you should continuously tell yourself that nothing's going to happen, or something along those lines.

I'm doing a google search on it now, if I find anything I'll edit.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
...I'm gonna admit that I was trying to see if anybody else had the same sort of thing happen to them before, but thanks for the advice! Like I said, too, it's not necessarily a fear of swallowing. It's just... panic ensues when I try to swallow? >: I dunno. *shrug*

EE: Feel free to call me crazy, but this whole thing started because of that movie. I saw it the second time and I was actually horribly freaked out both times I saw it, but something about freaked me out so much that this whole thing happened because of that movie. D: I still love, though. Won't ever see it in theatres again, but I still love it...

Artemis

For the glory of the hunt
just start eating things that require less or no chewing than others
like maybe yogurt
jello (already mentioned)
smoothies
applesauce

or just take smaller bites and count your chews

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
Very good advice SRMS.

But seriously dude, don't let this so called fear consume you, it will just make every day harder.
Confront that fear and stick a frigging whopper down your throat XD

No really though, from a real world standpoint don't let movies or games for that matter hinder your every day life.

CAB_IV

Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm a little concerned that it says you're 8 years old yet they let you watch the dark knight.

anyway, there are two options.

Option number one is that you go to therapy every day for the rest of your life. You might even be able to eat some ice cream by the age of 18! I hope you got money for all those sessions.

The second option is that you are totally unreasonable. You should aggressively challenge your fear by seperating your logical mind from it. You know your body works fine. You know you need food to continue that working of your body. There fore you must eat and drink.

burn your fear into ashes and stamp them into the mud! give no mercy.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Wow. That's really scary. D:
I'd go see a doctor.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
Wow. That's really scary. D:
I'd go see a doctor.

True to that, but she claims it's not serious' but if she needed more reassurance and help, she could go there.

Anyway, try eating or at least when you get to the chewing part slowly or less chewing foods like yogurt and pieces of fruit like others suggested and yeah, I think I would talk to somebody who might of dealt with the same thing. I've never experienced this so I wouldn't know what to do make out of it much. Other then, at least try to eat light foods like the other people suggest. I guess. Sorry if I can't help you here. But I must say, if this is like a fear, try to conquer it and find a way to not be afraid! You can do it!

Ren

adios motherfucker
My friend had phagophobia and told me she could deal with it but she ended up going to the doctor. It can get really serious and it's not difficult to treat if you see a doctor :X

I'm a little concerned that it says you're 8 years old yet they let you watch the dark knight.

She isn't eight years old.

Sorry to hear love,
Maybe try and consider some anxiety medication or something? Consult your general practitioner.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Talking to a doctor is probably the best idea.

Or distracting yourself when you eat, and not concentrating on it.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Rena was three a year or so ago. I swear that girl doesn't age normally.

Anyway, I am a little bit like you in the sense that I don't eat much, but that's just due to me not being that hungry a lot of the time. Having a fear of swallowing food and the like is a completely foreign concept to me, especially when caused by a great movie. Take the advice the others here have given and just try to convince yourself how ridiculous your fear is.

Unless, of course, you believe the Joker spiked your drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back