• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Namine?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyblademaster26

How exactly did namine get her name??
im not sure if this was discussed before but if it was sorry i was to lazy to look or it XD

Ventus Air-Man

Wanderer
Awards
I'm not really positive whether this has been talked about before, or not. I believe she was named by Organization XIII, when they found her in CO.

Beyer

Nami in Namine means Ocean Wave or something similar to that.
Considering the Kai in Kairi means sea or whatever, that would show the link between to two

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
:\ I call bullshit upon that statement. Especially since it came from the KH wiki. "Ne" means practically nothing in Japanese on its own, and even less when her name is in Katakana, showing us just the sound and not any other possible meanings.

Axens

Banned
I think that she and Kairi both have names that mean something to do with water, so thats why she was named that to show her connection with Kairi. Her name is no anagram of Kairi, so thats where confusion may arise.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Sorry. I forgot to say that "ne" was french.

Yeah, that makes it even less reasonable. Nomura deals with Japanese and Latin, not French XD

I think that she and Kairi both have names that mean something to do with water, so thats why she was named that to show her connection with Kairi.

Kairi's Ocean, Namine - Nami is wave, and Xion apparently is tide.

Her name is no anagram of Kairi, so thats where confusion may arise.

Beacuse the anagram part is the Organization's gig, not Nobodies'.

A

Azrael

Namine means Ocean Wave I believe.

The Wave that lifts up from the Sea and reaches the Sky only to crash into the Land's embrace.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
:\ I call bullshit upon that statement. Especially since it came from the KH wiki. "Ne" means practically nothing in Japanese on its own, and even less when her name is in Katakana, showing us just the sound and not any other possible meanings.

Ne does not mean practically nothing on it's own. It can be a particle, at the end of sentences, which I think you are referring to. However, it's not just a particle; depending on the context, ne can have several meanings. In a compound word like a name, it could mean sound, root/source, or core/heart/nature.

Her name is often written in Kanji in the Japanese fandom as 波音; 'the sound of waves'. The novels make several puns about this, so even if it's not canon, it's definitely something that a Japanese person reading her name would notice.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's good to know.
But you still agree with me that something coming from the KH wiki and claimed to be French due to the é doesn't make sense? xD;

Hells yeah XD; Of course, KH uses French in Larxene's weapon names (and one of Axel's)... and Latin extensively in BbS... and all the Org member's names are based on anagrams that only work in the English alphabet. So Japanese isn't the be-all and end-all in KH.

Buuut, there's no way they'd mix a Japanese 'nami' (and there's no way that isn't Japanese for wave), with a French 'ne' >___>

The é is for pronounciation. It's na-mi-neh, but if you spell it Namine, people could misread it as Nameen or something. Especially since she was introduced in the GBA game without VA to let people hear how to say it!

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I do kind of like the "born from the waves" meaning though. Or "sound of the wave". Makes her seem even less tangible than she was because she's not even the actual wave. She's either an echo of it or for all we know, the foam o3o

Especially amused by the implications about the strength of her relation to Kairi as a result XD; she's not REALLY a part of her and all

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I did read in one doujin, something like... she was 'sasanami no ne', the sound of a ripple. As in, nothing. It was very sad...

Well, she's not XD; She's more like part of Sora, and Kairi was the knife that cut her out. Or that's how I see it...

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm still waiting for proper explanation about her birth.
I still believe my old theory about how the precise moment of her birth was when Kairi purified Sora. With the Memories playing a part in that process, it would explain better her ties to Sora's Memories if she was born then. And Kairi's Heart not only being in Sora's Body before but also being what pulled Namine and the Memories out would explain her relation to Kairi :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back