• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Namine: The Fighter

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I feel that making Naminé a combatant is a complete betrayal of who she is as a character.

Nearly every central/original character in KH is a fighter.
It's fine that Naminé isn't.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'm fine with her not fighting either, but I wouldn't say it's a betrayal of her character if she does fight... Was it a betrayal of Kairi's character that she got a Keyblade in 2? She's always been a damsel in this series who perpetually waits offscreen, and that continues to be a major part of her purpose even with a Keyblade. Being incapable of fighting isn't what I think of as a character attribute.

I'm fine with her not being a fighter and I know there are ways for non-fighting characters to be relevant and useful in a story. And yet I also know that KH is incapable of finding a use for non-fighting characters for whatever reason (lack of trying, imo). So while I'd be fine if Namine stayed as an advisor type, it also means she would likely be even farther off-the-grid going forward than she has been since KH2. (Again, assuming most of these characters aren't getting benched anyway.)

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
She doesn't need to be a fighter and she is never shown onscreen doing anything even remotely related to combat (except for that time when she mindbroke RR). So uh...they'd really need to stretch. I mean, they might give her a Keyblade to compensate since everyone has one of those these days, but she doesn't need it.

She does need it because otherwise those who like her are going to be in the same position they are now due to the mediocracy unable to properly showcase a support-type character. That may not be a loss to you, but it doesn't at all undermine the fact that she can learn how to fight like, you know, everyone else in this series.

Axel didn't need a Keyblade but here we are.

I'm fine with her not fighting either, but I wouldn't say it's a betrayal of her character if she does fight... Was it a betrayal of Kairi's character that she got a Keyblade in 2? She's always been a damsel in this series who perpetually waits offscreen, and that continues to be a major part of her purpose even with a Keyblade. Being incapable of fighting isn't what I think of as a character attribute.

I'm fine with her not being a fighter and I know there are ways for non-fighting characters to be relevant and useful in a story. And yet I also know that KH is incapable of finding a use for non-fighting characters for whatever reason (lack of trying, imo). So while I'd be fine if Namine stayed as an advisor type, it also means she would likely be even farther off-the-grid going forward than she has been since KH2. (Again, assuming most of these characters aren't getting benched anyway.)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

No offense to anyone wishing that she remains as some background support stooge, but KH does not have that option if she is to have a more prominent role. Maybe if it was another series with more quality writing then it wouldn't have been an issue. That's not the case here though.

So my vote is Naminè getting weaponized.

Hell, it might actually give more credence to the beyond dragged out "Thank Naminè" plot thread.

Last edited:

Megavoltage

Awards
Lol, still can't believe KH3 didn't finish up the thanking Namine subplot. 2004!!!!

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I wouldn't say incapable, but more like unwilling.
I say a betrayal of her character because thus far she hasn't had the disposition of someone who would participate in physical conflict.

Kairi, conversely, has always had an edge to her personality. So while she wasn't a fighter to start with (and regardless of how she's been handled since), it doesn't come off as strange that she'd want to help in that way.

For Naminé, that kind of character shift is a significantly harder pill to swallow.

So while I'd be fine if Namine stayed as an advisor type, it also means she would likely be even farther off-the-grid going forward than she has been since KH2. (Again, assuming most of these characters aren't getting benched anyway.)
To be fair, she was stuck in Kairi's heart for most of the franchise thus far, though she still managed to make things happen in Re:coded and 0.2/KHIII. Options were limited.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wouldn't say incapable, but more like unwilling.
I say a betrayal of her character because thus far she hasn't had the disposition of someone who would participate in physical conflict.

Kairi, conversely, has always had an edge to her personality. So while she wasn't a fighter to start with (and regardless of how she's been handled since), it doesn't come off as strange that she'd want to help in that way.

For Naminé, that kind of character shift is a significantly harder pill to swallow.

To be fair, she was stuck in Kairi's heart for most of the franchise thus far, though she still managed to make things happen in Re:coded and 0.2/KHIII. Options were limited.
Namine's shown that she is willing to put herself on the line to help her friends. When she saved Kairi in KH2 and they ran down the stairs to escape The World That Never Was. When she stepped in front of Larxene to protect Sora. Even when she felt like no one cared about her (and only cared about saving Roxas), she contacted Lingering Will to save everyone.

I'm not saying that I see her as a ready and willing combatant, but I do think that she is capable of fighting and would like to see her get a chance to be part of the action at some point. I don't know, I'm weird and like seeing the "noncombatants" get involved in combat now and then, it adds some more interest. For example, I always wanted to see C3PO and R2D2 get involved in more action, so when they did in Episode 2 I loved it and thought those were some standout scenes from that film. I think Namine getting an action scene would be cool and probably garner her some more fans and attention - and a notably memorable scene, since clearly from this thread, a lot of people don't expect to see Namine fighting.

And honestly, I'm kind of tired of seeing Namine treated as this precious, little girl that is oh so delicate. She's always locked away and hidden. I want to see her get some action, then go back into a supporting role. I'm not saying play as Namine, but it'd be great to see her fight while acting in the supporting role. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think a great storyline would be Namine researching memories/Quadratum in her mansion in Twilight Town. Throughout the story, we see the progress of her work, but also that someone is watching her. When she makes a breakthrough, Luxu attacks her (thinking she is the "helpless girl") and she uses her memory abilities and her brand new pure white staff to fight back. She's able to fend off Luxu, but then she quickly has to escape because she can't beat him alone. I envision she tampers with memories/the opponent's mind to paralyze them for a second, so that she can get some hits in and escape.

Awards
It would be very interesting to see Namine fighting in any capacity, and this seems like a very creative way of doing so! The whole idea of her sucking you into her drawing pad and use her art to combat you is very creative and sounds like something Nomura would do!

Guernsey

Awards
Namine is more of a bridge bunny and support than someone who needs to be on the frontlines. Despite this, she could some self defense training just in case.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I really like the idea of her using her drawings/notepad to fight. Even if she's never on the front lines (which I definitely can't imagine), she could totally be in a defender role, defending normal people, defending a town, defending people downed out of the fight. I suppose that's what it is.

It's hard to imagine her as an offensive character, and more someone who is on the defense, the one in the back whose strength lies in shielding rather than destruction.

That's kinda how I thought Aqua was gonna be since barriers are kinda her thing.

Back