• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Namine: Lost Friend or Kairi's Shadow

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guernsey

Awards
I read a livejournal where I learned that Namine's role was changed in game development from sora's lost frined to a shadow of Kairi's heart. It seems that Namine as lost frined who had been taken fromt eh islands makes a lot more sense than her being Kairi's nobody. What do guys think of this?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
She was portrayed as Sora's lost friend in CoM though. Sure, it was a lie but still.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
In CoM I sorta liked the idea of Namine being a mystery friend who disappeared when they were young. Sure it was a lie but...it felt right. I can't explain it lol I enjoyed the mind games surrounding her, I suppose. Four friends, the three of them played while the quiet one drew them all lol it was nice. Would I have been happy if Namine wasn't "Kairi's shadow"? Yeah. Am I upset that she is? Meh, not really.

Awards
I don't know, it seems odd to me, personally. I love Namine, but... It's basically saying she has been there all along, despite not being remembered or hinted at, and there were some aspects of her that would seem odd if not explained by being Kairi's shadow...

...How much of the planning was done at that point? If the things explained by being Kairi's shadow hadn't have occured, and she wasn't made to seem like a deconstruction, then it might have worked.... I prefer it as it is, I think, but that's just me...

luna008

though i would have loved it if she had stayed a lost friend (cuase like roxas, i about cried my eyes out when she went back) i think it makes more sense that she became a nobody of kairi.i mean, think about it, what reason would she have to get kiddnapped or whatever happened to her to take her off the island, why would the orgo have her, and why the heck would sora forget about her when he was all anguishy and determined while searching for kairi and riku.also, i cant help but feel it would be a repeat of kairi, as she too was taken from her home world.and i think that if they kept her apperance the same as the namine we have now, people would think her and kairi were related or something. so yeah, im glad they changed namine.

Awards
I've heard that before, but I'm not sure how true it is.

I prefer the way it is. If Namine actually was a long lost friend, well, I'm just not a fan of that kind of trope. I was far more sympathetic to her plight when I found out that she had never had any friends to begin with. And also bear in mind that while clones have been done to death in Kingdom Hearts, Namine was the first. The idea was novel at the time.

It also just makes more sense for her to be Kairi's shadow as a way of redirecting Sora's affection toward her.

Gram

Banned
Awards
honestly her being a friend, i like that idea better HOWEVER how they could execute that plot is a bit iffy to me so i think how they got it now is best.

i remember seeing on these forums somewhere that nomura also planned to have xion turn evil originally, was that true?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I've heard that before, but I'm not sure how true it is.

I prefer the way it is. If Namine actually was a long lost friend, well, I'm just not a fan of that kind of trope. I was far more sympathetic to her plight when I found out that she had never had any friends to begin with. And also bear in mind that while clones have been done to death in Kingdom Hearts, Namine was the first. The idea was novel at the time.

It also just makes more sense for her to be Kairi's shadow as a way of redirecting Sora's affection toward her.

Pretty much my take on it - given that Kairi never did produce a true 'Nobody,' (though she was put into that category because of possibly other similarities by DiZ (or Nomura)) and Namine's ability to change Sora's memories makes sense because Kairi's Heart resided inside of Sora, and when he unlocked it blah blah blah -> Namine was produced, along with Roxas.

However, what really makes me wonder is how Kairi's Heart could have produced Namine from being released from Sora if she is a 'shadow of Kairi's Heart.' Kairi is a Princess of Heart, and essentially her Heart is pure Light, while Sora does have Darkness inside of him. Assuming that "with the greater Light, the bigger your Shadow becomes," it's feasible, but meh.

Also Grass I almost mistook you for goldpanner lulz :p

Goddard

I read a livejournal where I learned that Namine's role was changed in game development from sora's lost frined to a shadow of Kairi's heart. It seems that Namine as lost frined who had been taken fromt eh islands makes a lot more sense than her being Kairi's nobody. What do guys think of this?

If that's the case, it would had been nice had they kept Namine as Sora's lost friend.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I think it's better the way they ultimately went with her. The whole "lost friend that I just remembered" thing is kind of corny and Sue-ish imo.

Pretty much my take on it - given that Kairi never did produce a true 'Nobody,' (though she was put into that category because of possibly other similarities by DiZ (or Nomura)) and Namine's ability to change Sora's memories makes sense because Kairi's Heart resided inside of Sora, and when he unlocked it blah blah blah -> Namine was produced, along with Roxas.

However, what really makes me wonder is how Kairi's Heart could have produced Namine from being released from Sora if she is a 'shadow of Kairi's Heart.' Kairi is a Princess of Heart, and essentially her Heart is pure Light, while Sora does have Darkness inside of him. Assuming that "with the greater Light, the bigger your Shadow becomes," it's feasible, but meh.

Also Grass I almost mistook you for goldpanner lulz :p

I take it that Namine is Kairi's shadow in a more symbolic sense. Like a shadow, Namine is a physical "copy" of Kairi but not exactly the same and lacking in substance or real identity. Like when you look at your own shadow you see a silhouette of your self but it's obviously not you, just a distorted shape of you.

blueheart

Bronze Member
If they went with the original idea, she'd be a Sue. I was actually disliking where it was going in CoM, but once the truth was revealed, that made me like and appreciate the whole game.

Grey

It's probably because Namine's role changed that she's such a logic-defying "nobody." Had she just been a childhood friend, her memory-manipulating powers could just be attributed to a special brand of darkness or something. She's much more confusing as "Kairi's Nobody," but she's also much more mysterious, and mystery isn't a bad thing.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Well heres my thing, I don't care how she happened. I just care that she's Roxas/Ven's secret lover. Seriously, they had to tell us at the very end of KH2 that this is how it is. I was never a huge fan of Namine, simply because the Nobodies are so detached, and I know they are going to die, that they mean nothing to me.

Radar

Bronze Member
I don't know who she is, but I do believe she is the "key" that is going to help Sora save all those in torment. Hey, maybe she is even a princess of Light.

Awards
I'd still love to see, after all the torment is fixed and the sleeping worlds restored, Naminé sitting on the beach of Destiny Islands with everyone, sketching in her sketchbook. Maybe those disconnected memories in Sora's heart, the ones Naminé made, are needed to mend her torment. I'm going to be disappointed if she always just remains a piece of Kairi.

These games develop characters like Naminé and Roxas as completely separate persons from their former selves. Their personalities are so different, so them being in the bodies of Kairi and Sora/Ven or whatever ends up happening just seems like they're trapped in another person's body.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'd still love to see, after all the torment is fixed and the sleeping worlds restored, Naminé sitting on the beach of Destiny Islands with everyone, sketching in her sketchbook. Maybe those disconnected memories in Sora's heart, the ones Naminé made, are needed to mend her torment. I'm going to be disappointed if she always just remains a piece of Kairi.

These games develop characters like Naminé and Roxas as completely separate persons from their former selves. Their personalities are so different, so them being in the bodies of Kairi and Sora/Ven or whatever ends up happening just seems like they're trapped in another person's body.

I completely agree with that notion, bravo.
People labeling Naminé, Roxas, yes, even Xion only as mere parts of Sora/Kairi are oversimplifying things as they all three have distinct personalities, wills and minds of their own independent from their original selves. It was even noted in-game several times.

The comparison of being trapped in their original selves bodies I also don't find that off. I never quite understood why they portrayed Roxas suddenly so ickily content, almost happy at the end of KH2 when his overall goal was always to be his own existence. He never wanted to join with Sora so I got more the impression he only got content with it at the end because there wasn't any choice for him anyways, thanks to DiZ and Riku.

I somehow imagined that for Naminé as well, sitting on the bent palm-tree at the island and working on a painting that incorporates the whole main cast with Sora, Ven, Riku and Roxas in the middle *ggg*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back