• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Name that Mary-Sue!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
People's Fragile Dreams, Relinquished from Anixiet
First and foremost, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, and I also apologize for the idiotic wording of this topic, however, if you have been drawn to it because of that, then it's done its job. This is also to apologize if there is already a thread like this.

Now, to explain.

There are many animes, books, mangas, and the like that have characters. However, I'm sure some of us are a bit annoyed, or perhaps frown a bit at certain characters for they have those 'fawning' qualities of that respective gender.

For example.

A Mary sue is usually though either as a beautiful girl who is strong willed, kind, gentle, willing to do anything to help others, usually sticks out like a sore thumb in a crowd, everyone has a high opinion of this girl, everyone loves her, and she puts the greater good above everything else. The Mary Sue will also usually either be super powerful or supremely weak.

A Gary Stue from study seems to usually be a brooding boy. This child usually has a dark past, is rather well nature, perhaps angsty, very powerful and may possibly have an obsession with becoming stronger or dealing with their life goal that such a child should not deal with. There are generally [or possibly] two types of Gary Stues I've noted which deal with compelling personalities or age, but we shall not get into that.

I am sure most of us know what the general meaning of these two words mean. So I'm curious, is there any particular character you think is too divine or too perfect in an anime? This is the place to discuss it.

Now, some rules is that there shall be no flaming. I expect the users to explain themselves why they think a particular character is a Mary-Sue and if one digresses[though the proper word here is disagree, but moving on!], they may initiate a conversation of their views. This thread is merely made to discuss people's opinion on who's a Mary Sue. Not a flaming convention site. Also, this is to point out Mary/Gary S/t/ue in official published works. This means that no pointing fingers at fanfictions, just at items broadcasted. To pent up something that's bothering you, to say.

There shall be no swearing, this is a child's site and this is my thread. There should be no need for vulgar language.

If there is anything else, I shall inform you, but for the meantime, enjoy the thread and have fun posting about those all too perfect characters.

~Taokitty~

---------------------------

PS Hmmm... I fear I made the introduction too long. Ah well, if people decide not to view it because of this post throwing them off, than it is nothing of concern. At least it has yet to be as long as the original thread of this.

Last edited:

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
noyuuutsu1105lgyy9.jpg

Last edited:

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
Ah? And what about these characters makes you feel they are Mary Sues? 'Princess' Peach can be considered one for she has the supposive delicate features of blonde hair, and blue eyes, which most consider beautiful. She is usually frail and weak [perhaps captured by a certain few individuals] and seems to take interest in the main character of the game, Mario. Usually given a girlish voice, along with not being able to fight well [essentially a damsel in distress] she fits well under the other categories.

What of the others? I am not familiar with them, so I cannot associate them with being Mary Sues.

And why is any female lead in Yuu Watase manga essentially a Mary-Sue? How do they act?

I am curious of the two of your answers, whether you reply or not.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
I am curious of the two of your answers, whether you reply or not.

Every single male character in the whole damn story ends up falling in love with her. She's always clumsy, always trying so hard to put everything before herself. It's the same character over and over again, really.

And I do believe Silh meant the picture he posted, not his signature.

Taokitty

A Chagrined Fool.
Awards
This is a Mary Sue topic, and you're all Mary Sues for posting in it.

Ah? How so?

Baka Ushi: Ah, thank you for replying. I see, I can only imagine how aggravating it is to read of such characters [or view] over and over again. I remember I griped against Bell Dandy [I believe the spelling of her name is] because of how perfect, and innocent, and naive and pure and selfless she was. It was annoying for everything she did was perfect and everyone loved her kind soul. Not to mention the fact that "she hides her pain so much so it must really hurt if she shows pain", it was annoying for it was so focused on that goddess on all her good qualities; she didn't really have bad qualities and thus there was no character development.

Hmmm, tis odd. I see no picture, except for Silh's signature

~Taokitty~

PS Square Ninja: I suppose that would make you a Mary Sue yourself, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back