• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

name definitions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth_spawn

Sora, Riku, and Kairi are named after the three primary elements of nature. In Japanese, riku means 'land', kai means 'ocean', and sora means 'sky'.

got it so there you have it folks what they mean in japanese

sorry for the double post.....

dime55

yea it's pretty easy to remember sora= soar-a! soar, u know, flying. flying=sky. well yea w/e just my way of remembering it

louis

yeh i think just sora, kairi , and riku and maybe BHKs name might mean something

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Sephiroth_spawn said:
Sora, Riku, and Kairi are named after the three primary elements of nature. In Japanese, riku means 'land', kai means 'ocean', and sora means 'sky'.

Ah, yes, I see someone got it right... I would just like to add two things;
Riku, given an extra kanji sign (pronounced and written phonetically exactly the same, there's no difference between them in this case since the names in KH are written in katakana in the japanese version), translates into "agony of separation" and Kairi (using her full name, not just "kai" and written using two other kanji) translates into "separation". So there you have it.

Sora - Sky
Kairi - Sea, separation
Riku - Land, agony of separation

Silverwolf1500

The Silver Guardian
All names mean something significant. Basically, their names refer to states of existence or an element of some kind. They fit them perfectly though..

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Banishing Blade said:
No, Sora does mean sky/wind. Somebody, can't remember who, typed the names into a translator and that's what it said. Riku meant earth, or ground or something. Kairi's name meant something ironic to the roll she played in the game. I can't remember what it was though.

KAZE *Maybe the name of BHK* means wind in Japanese, Sora is Sky, Riku is such a girls name *But he's so cute* and have no clue what it is, Kairi no clue, *Haku means white*

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Sephiroth_spawn said:

umi is ocean...... and I'm bored so I double posted...sorry

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Correction; it's written 海, pronounced "umi" by itself. However, Kairi in this case is probably written "海り". That's the same sign with a "ri" stuck on it. Hence, "kai". You see, that's the wonderful thing about japanese kanji- not just are there literally thousands of them, they also change meaning and pronounciation depending on context.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Some, not nearly enough though. I've been only studying it as a language for a couple of years now.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
This is going a bit off-topic, but this appears to have been settled, so... Anyway, I'll just white-out the following for those who wish to continue on-topic. Highlight to read.
louis said:
is it heard to learn
OT: Not really, IMHO. The grammar is not nearly as complex as that of the Spanish language, which I had been unwillingly educated in in elementary school (german, french or spanish only leaves you that much of a choice). Kana (hirgana and katakana- the two phonetic "alphabets") are relatively easy to learn once you get a hang of the system. I can't really talk about the more complex kanji characters, but to me learning them seems to be a gradual process- at first they scare the heck out of you, and then you gradually begin to accept them. The grammar is, as I said earlier, relatively simple, but I think that is because, sentences are often very dependent on context to get the point across, which can be confusing at times. I'm no good at explaining these things.

louis

ok then lets get back on topic soras name is good because he is full of light like the sky and rikus name is good because he is in agony because he is seporated from his friends and he is tough like the earth and kairis name is good because...........well i don't have any ideas

Zearth

Ashy to Classy
heres the results from my dictionary

kairi: estrangement, separation
kairi: dissociation
kairi: nautical mile
kairi: beaver

sora: sky

riku: land, shore
riku: agony of separation

As you see there are multiple definitions for riku and kairi. You guys decide.

louis

for kairi i would go with sepearation since she is separated from her friends and for riku I would say agony of separation since in KHcom he is in agony because he can't see his friends since ansams shadow is still inside of him a little bit

ChristinaKingdom

louis said:
sounds like an elements thing is going on here earth,wind,water and i am going to gess that someones name might mean fire and ice and i think ansams name will have something to do with darkness

The things that Sora, Riku, and Kairi's names are actually forms of place.
See you fly in the sky (Sora), you walk on the Earth (Riku), and you swim in water (Kairi, if her name means like water or something). It's kinda difficult to explain but maybe someone will clean it up.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back