• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

NA Voices

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XIII Nobodies

I plan on hoping some kind soul will undub it.

Not so sure that will happen. I haven't seen any undubs for KH2, and I've read that it's because Squenix encrypted most of the files. More than likely, this will be done for BBS, since PS2 and PSP have similar coding.

As for a MX voice, I'm still unsure who could fill it in. Especially after hearing his JP voice.

Not so sure that will happen. I haven't seen any undubs for KH2, and I've read that it's because Squenix encrypted most of the files. More than likely, this will be done for BBS, since PS2 and PSP have similar coding.

there wasn't a undub for anything before KH either. Undubs are a newer thing. With later ps2 games and some psp games getting the treatment. Like ffxii and crisiscore...plus some non square games.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Swapping the English voices for Japanese ones, because things in English tend not to sound as good as they did in Japanese. An example: Most animes.

Henwo

Well it would be a first to kingdom hearts but i heard that they were doing it to FF13 so it might be a possibility

Cloaked_schemer

∞;4594234 said:
Swapping the English voices for Japanese ones, because things in English tend not to sound as good as they did in Japanese. An example: Most animes.
for example, Sonic Heroes. a lot of people hated the american voices, so they import the game which comes with english text. well, this might not be the perfect example, but its close enough.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Why would anyone want an undubbed KH game? KH has always had great voice acting in english and japanese (Except for replacing Namine's voice actress).

I hope there is not an undubbed version, I like KH with english voice acting.

Allister Rose

French Lover
∞;4594234 said:

Usually english VA sounds better than anime VA. my teacher who knows alot about anime and game development says it's because they get paid better

Awards
Usually english VA sounds better than anime VA. my teacher who knows alot about anime and game development says it's because they get paid better

Hard to really gauge that though.

In KH, where exaggerated mannerisms are such a big thing, sometimes the body language is lost in translation. The emphasis in a sentence may change position from Japanese to English (beginning to end, end to beginning, etc). As such, the body language that goes along with it (arm swinging, certain stances, even facial expression), can be thrown off slightly and placed on an inappropriate word or phrase. It's a subtle differene, but it's there.

Having said that, I still do prefer the English voices, at least in Kingdom Hearts. I hear how a lot of people prefer Japanese VAs in animes, though it's ironic that a good deal of these people have no clue what they're saying if it weren't for subtitles. Not having a grasp on the Japanese language, people could only focus on would be the inflection, and even then it's not like they know what it is exactly that they're inflecting on.

Regardless, I understand where people are coming from on that. I'm not big on anime but the comparisons I've seen between Japanese and English VAs has been notable. The Japanese often sound more... legitimate. The English sometimes appear to be lackluster. Your teacher is probably right about more pay, but I don't know about better voice quality (though, in KH, I think it's top notch in English... for the most part).

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Japanese VAs often reach the point of stardom in Japan. I would doubt they get paid less. But, I'm not sure.

cOppeRAuguSt[X]

Atop the clock tower, watching the constant sunset
I think they're talking about the American VA's of Japanese anime dubs...

To actually get back to the question tho I think that MX should be voiced buy the guy that does Jafar in aladin...dunno they just seem similar to me...and I think Terra should sound like Mufasa(James Earl Jones) cuz Mufasa's a badass

...also vanitas could sound like Scar but that may be too much LK

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Why would anyone want an undubbed KH game? KH has always had great voice acting in english and japanese (Except for replacing Namine's voice actress).
Because they find it embarassing or poor-quality in English, which is what I find with most JRPGs and anime. They just sound better in their Japanese version, to me.
Usually english VA sounds better than anime VA.
As Grace said, it's hard to gauge that, but so far, I've yet to find an anime I didn't prefer in Japanese rather than in English.

Twilight_Angel_

Hm, to answer the initial question...I think neither one of those actors should play MX. James Earl Jones' voice is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too deep for MX and Ron Pearlman's is a bit too gruff and at times almost whispery for MX. Although I have heard the latter in a few things, like Teen Titans where he played Slade. At the moment I can't think of anyoen to play MX but for some strange reason I can see Johnny Young Bosh(spelling?) as Vanitus. Square-enix has used him before, He plays Firion in FF Dissidia...I don't know why I can envision his voice coming from Vanitus' helmet, but meh. I'm sure the english version of BBS will be good, as most other Square-enix games that were translated have picked good VAs so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back