• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My Unpopular Opinions About KH1

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseykockroach

Awards
If they wanted to focus on the Sora-Riku relationship, they could have bothered to make it consistently relevant to the story beyond obligatory one-second mentions during Disney world visits. "Hey, maybe Riku's here!"
Which is baffling, since Sora either comes across him in KH1, or we cut back to him with Maleficent. In other words, KH1 doesn't just suddenly forget subplots exist for a few hours.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
If they wanted to focus on the Sora-Riku relationship, they could have bothered to make it consistently relevant to the story beyond obligatory one-second mentions during Disney world visits. "Hey, maybe Riku's here!"
Which is baffling, since Sora either comes across him in KH1, or we cut back to him with Maleficent. In other words, KH1 doesn't just suddenly forget subplots exist for a few hours.

Well, "behind the scenes" storytelling is a large flaw of KH2. A lot of what happens is outside of SDG's (and thus: the players) direct reach, so it feels kind of forced and unfitting.

I must admit however, that I didn't mind the fact that Sora and Riku fought the final battles alone. The execution ("oh, look. we got left behind. LOL what a coincidence!") was kinda meh, but I actually think that especially the battle where Xemnas talks to them was amazingly done, story-wise. Maybe that's just "kid-me" who is still stuck in the "must. not. cry." mode when he asks Sora if he can trust Riku, and asks Riku if he isn't jealous of Sora (AND THEN RIKU TELLS HIM THAT HE WAS JEALOUS OF HIM ALL THE TIME IN THE END OMG SORRY IT WAS JUST GREAT).
Anyway yeah I just gotta say that I'm a freak for these kinds of things, I want characters to interact during fights and however KH3's final battle is going to play out, I hope it will have conversation and like "motivating words" from the people who help Sora ("similarly" to the battle for Hollow Bastion, I guess, just more fleshed out).

KHHacker6595

I mean, let's just look at the recent wave of big and small youtubers that played the saga: far too many times I've seen people just eager to get through with the "bad game" that was KH1 to finally replay the absolute fun that was KH II and relieving their childhood memories.
And sometimes BbS too, and I've seen it being called "the only other good KH title". It might be just me, but I think we could very well replace "good" with "fun" or "accessible".

damn, this is so relatable to me. I see this sort of thing all the time and I feel like I'm pulling my hair our reading some of the comments. The only youtuber who seems to understand the charm of the first game in comparison to 2 is Frustrated Jacob. I'm actually really excited to see his playthrough of 2 when it comes out because finally someone who can articulate the problems with that game will be able to.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
damn, this is so relatable to me. I see this sort of thing all the time and I feel like I'm pulling my hair our reading some of the comments. The only youtuber who seems to understand the charm of the first game in comparison to 2 is Frustrated Jacob. I'm actually really excited to see his playthrough of 2 when it comes out because finally someone who can articulate the problems with that game will be able to.

Haven't seen him specifically, I'll check hm out as soon as I've got the time.

redcrown

Awards
This game has a lot of flaws people overlook because of their rose colored glasses, mostly cringey and absurdly slow cutscenes, clunky controls with awkward platforming, and it's investment in the Gummi pieces and treasures as if fans thought it was the most glorious part of the game

Also everything about Deep Jungle, from beginning to end; it's just unconformable to watch and play, especially if Tarzan was one of your favorite Disney movies as a kid, and it's ridiculously long. Thank the copyright gods for once that it never came back.

Edit: Deep Jungle is not comfortable

Last edited:

kaseykockroach

Awards
The same can be said for KH2 in regards to rose tinted glasses.
For me, I revisit the two games equally often and find merit in either journey. But KH1 is simpler, and simpler is almost always better. No 3-hour prologue, no 20-minute cutscenes, there's stuff to actually do in the worlds besides combat, and it's balanced between classic and modern Disney (while KH2 is pretty much exclusively focused on 1989-onward).
On the other hand, KH2 has smoother controls, better animation and is overall more polished.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back