• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My Ultimate Goal: The Fading Realm

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoid

Awards
Hey everyone! Despite the fact that I am somewhat new to both the KH writing community and writing itself, that hasn't stopped me from setting some seemingly unreachable goals for myself. I'd like to take a few moments and outline/share what I plan on working on for the quite distance future. If the opportunity ever presented itself, I'd love the chance to become and author and publish some of my works. Getting right to the subject, I have a tale in my head that I have been thinking about nearly nonstop for a few years now, one that I seem to only now understand myself. The scope is huge, daunting, and the fact that I want to challenge myself to do this frightens me to no end.

This challenge is called The Fading Realm, which is the shared universe in which I want all (or most) of my stories to take place. Think of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere for an idea of what I'm going for. In this realm there are many different worlds, and these worlds will be the settings of all of my stories.

I will give a warning now: This will probably make little to no sense to all of you, and for that I'm sorry. I'll try to make it as coherent as possible, but I'm talking about a complex universe of different worlds at 3 in the morning, so bear with me. Anything you need cleared up, I'd be happy to do so!

To start things off, I want to give a timeline on some of the events/worlds of The Fading Realm. The timeline will scale for thousands of years.

The Very Beginning

The event that sparked the cataclysm of The Fading Realm. The power of Gods is awoken, and has become available for people to posses if they are able to reach it. This causes a Great War which nearly destroys the world, and several splinter groups form that try and locate the Beacons of the Gods for them to acquire. Without saying to much, all does not go according to plan for the protagonists. Several people of questionable morality become Gods and create their own worlds in the Fading Realm. But many of the protagonists who survive vow to defeat these Gods, and save the people of the worlds they live on. These surviving characters will make small, but important appearances in many of the books, and their exact intentions will be kept hidden from the readers.

The World of Fire
Shortly after the events of of the Great War, a World of Fire emerges from the ashes. What makes this world different is that it was not created by one of the newly formed Gods. People emerge on this world, ones with great power. There are people on this world who are capable of controlling either smoke or fire, but only if they consume Embers, which is the source of all magic on the world. If they run out of embers, they run out of power. This story will introduce a few very key characters to The Fading Realm, and delve into more details about how The Fading Realm works.

The Director, The Birds, Chaos, and The Beast

This story is the crux of the entire Fading Realm. The events and characters of this world are so important, I am to tired to find words to explain. To start off, one of the New Gods has taken the name Chaos, and has created a world that reflects that name. Nothing is right in this world. Anything can happen with no prior warning, things are not as they should be. This world houses the most powerful characters in the entire Fading Realm. A mysterious character tentatively named The Director sets up a camp where he trains warriors to kill Chaos, and go on to save the Fading Realm. The problem is is that he screws up royally, and creates The Birds. I'm currently working on a story that kind of deals with the origins of The Birds, but as of right now only myself and KitKat have access to it. I'm considering sharing it with the rest of the community. To briefly summarize, a group of people wake up to find they have had their memories tampered with, and know nothing of their past. They are promised that they have great power, but ultimately go on to arguably misuse this power. They make appearances in nearly every book that takes place in The Fading Realm, and their intentions will be shrouded in mystery. They are not good, nor are they bad, but far as deep into the grey zone as possible.

One member of The Birds who deserves notable mention is one that The Director nicknames The Beast. This is perhaps the most important character in the entire Fading Realm. His tragic past is unknown by everyone, but fear not, he is not the typical "overrated character with a tragic backstory." His entire arc is so complex, and I hope to fulfill it well. I look forward to introducing you all to him!

The Other Worlds

After the events of The World of Chaos, thousands of years pass. These are the stories of more "normal" worlds that have been ruled over by the now not so New Gods. Characters from The Great War and The World of Chaos will be in these books, but they will not be the stars. At best they will be minor characters who influence the story in a great way but ultimately stay in the background. I'll highlight two worlds that I've developed a bit more.

The Osterix Chronicles

This is a story that I'm actually working on right now and have posted in the KH forums. People can use the power of Cards to do beyond human feats, such as have unbreakable skin and merge into the shadows. They are ruled by the mysterious Osterix, an immortal king.

Tear vs. Rage

A story about nature vs. machinery, with an underlying theme of terrorism binding it all together. I'm really looking forward to this one because there are no good guys, and there are no bad guys. Everyone's goals has pros and cons, and I want the characters to be understandable and likable, if not relatable. There are two Gods on this world, which creates an interesting conflict, as the two Gods dislike one another, but understand each other.

The Great Fade

There will be more worlds then these, but I haven't developed them as much. But after all of the events conclude, one final battle will be waged between the characters who have survived all the way up to this point and the Gods who remain. The Birds and The Beast will be at the center of all of this, and their motives will be thrown into question the entire ride through.

Well, what do you all think? I realize that it may be a large amount to take in and understand, and I'm thankful to those of you who read the entire thing. I will likely be editing this once I'm not so weary, and will probably add more once I figure some more things out. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you all have and clarify anything. Once again, thank you for reading, and I look forward to seeing what you think!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The Birds really was a fantastic story. <3 I had forgotten all about it till you mentioned it in this thread! In the meantime, I think this is a really cool idea and well thought out with what you have planned out to write in the future. Honestly, I'm impressed you were able to outline so much. What makes this really fantastic is how it all comes together in the very end with the characters who survive and happen to be apart of the series. I don't really have any questions in particular to ask you at this time, but maybe I'll think of some later?

Furthermore, it's a good idea to not share too much information on the forum because, you don't want others to steal your ideas and ect. (Not saying anybody here would. Just that you can't be too careful, if you know what I mean. Especially if you're gearing up to make this into a series to publish someday.) Otherwise, snippets and selective stories you share are okay. :D

Hoid

Awards
Yea, I purposely left out some of the major story details and world elements so people don't steal them. The people on the forum seem trustworthy enough, but with lurkers lurking around, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back