• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My Sketch Graveyard (Kingdom Hearts)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Ruran 2008:

"Oh boy! I got a new sketch pad and now I can practice my art work and be a manga artist someday! Once I get a few done, I'll upload them to the interwebz and see what people think."

*later*

"Drawing is butt hard. I know! I'll just set the drawings I haven't finished aside and do them later once I understand the techniques better."

Ruran 2014:

"Oh hey, my old sketch book!"

*blows off dust*

"I haven't seen this in like, 5ever!"

*flips through sketch pad*

"...shit"

-----------------------

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that when it comes to art, I'm pretty damn bad. Every now and then though, the muses will take me and I'll come up with something half decent. Even then, I'm not convinced that I just wasn't temporarily possessed by the ghost of a bored artist.

I don't draw as much as I used to, but I like to pop and my old sketch pad every now and then and doodle. I had a tendency to leave a lot of things unfinished simply because I didn't know how to do a certain something and would leave it with the intention of finishing it later. I figured that the best way to improve was just to put up some of my best (yes, best...don't laugh. >_>) KH sketches and get some advice. Normally, I know where the problem lays, I just don't know how to fix it.

Because of technological reasons I didn't use my scanner (it sucks anyway. Trust me, you're not missing out on better quality) so I took pictures instead and cleaned them up best I could. I comfort myself though by saying that it's for "artistic reasons" and not because the lighting in my house and camera sucks.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

With this one it's mainly an issue of proportion. It's hard to tell because of the coat, but when I first drew Xehanort he was really off. Human proportions slipped my mind and it wasn't until after the fact that I remembered the head measurement technique. The way I drew him, his upper body is significantly longer than his lower body and is party why his legs and feet look so small. Which gave me a lot of trouble because I don't know how to draw them all that well. He also looks really stiff, I think it's the shoulders.

Kairi I think I drew too far away and her arms look too stretched out.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

You have no idea how much Aqua's head has shrunken, lol. You can still see a lot of the erase marks though. I wanted to gave Aqua a more "traditional" looking outfit for the shits and giggles. And zipper-y. mostly, I got stuck on the feet/shoes because I just didn't know what to design. I wanted to make a variation of the shoes she wore in game, but I couldn't think of anything that didn't look silly. This is an older picture than the first one and was a lot harder for me to do but I eventually got it to where I was at least comfortable with it. I think she suffers from the same "stiffness" problem as Xehanort though.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This...is the only one that's legitimately finished, lol. I just wanted Kairi wearing a "backwards crown" and came up with this. The line work is a little sloppy here and there but I'm still happy with it.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I made this one right after Kairi and with a lot less creativity, lol. There's not much to say about this one, it's a pretty straight forward head-shot of Vanitas. The hair and jaw piece took me foreeeevvvvveeerrrrrr (so many erase marks! @_@ as well as the eye. It's a tad off, buuttt...I'm too lazy to fix it. Also, I made it dark like that on purpose in editing. idk, maybe I'm alone in this but I kind of like it that way.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I somehow made Riku shorter than Sora, lol. This is one of the older pictures that while not complicated, nearly made me cry in my armature years. It looks a LOT better than when I first started it, it just needs some tweaks here and there and to be inked.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Dammit, picture came out crocked...

This is probably the most unfinished one. I redrew this so many time it's not even funny. Riku in particular doesn't agree with me, I've tried drawing him a few times but I have difficulty for some reason. I guess me and Riku just aren't meant to be. PFFFT!

As you can probably guess, Mickey and Goofy are supposed to be there as well, but they haven't even made it in yet as preliminary sketches. If there's one thing I suck at drawing more than Riku, it's animals, anthropomorphic ones included.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Wait, this one is finished as well...IGNORE ME!

This was made for an art project here on KHI, but I never submitted it because I didn't finish on time. I whipped this up fast so I actually don't remember the process very well. It's all a blur... I normally don't color because I'm bad at it, but the project required me to. I'm still happy with it though.

-------------------

Most of these I probably but way more blood, sweat, tears, and other bodily fluids than I should have but *shrugs* eh. That's being an artist I guess. They're not great, but I'm looking for some feedback and advice.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Ruran 2008:

"Oh boy! I got a new sketch pad and now I can practice my art work and be a manga artist someday! Once I get a few done, I'll upload them to the interwebz and see what people think."

this is way too relatable ):

I don't draw as much as I used to, but I like to pop and my old sketch pad every now and then and doodle. I had a tendency to leave a lot of things unfinished simply because I didn't know how to do a certain something and would leave it with the intention of finishing it later.

Funnily enough this is actually relevant to what I think is the most important advice I could give you: draw a lot more. If you only draw occasionally, it will take forever to make any substantial progress. If you want a starting off point, an hour a day is a good start. If you don't know how to finish something, make your best guess and then look at how someone else did it to try and find out how you can solve it. references are your best friend.

Most of the problems in your art is just typical artistic fundamentals that most beginners struggle with, like a lack of understanding of form, anatomy, location of forms in space, etc (all things that i'm still working to get better at, rotating faces is still extremely hard for me even after all this time). i can point you to sources of information that will help you learn how to get better at these things, but primarily it's just going to be about how much time you put in. it's fine if this isn't something you're super into, but keep in mind that your work will take much longer to look better because of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back