• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My Piece of Shit Car [Non-Fiction] [Flash]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You got your first car around when I met you. The abuse from an unstable confused teenager is still shown in the cracks and paint, dents from other people, you said. It still runs, but it’s mine now.

The scars are gone from your fast and furious disclaimer do not try this at home or in a 2004 Ford Focus in the parking lots of a Home Depot at 4 am slam into the curb. Of course, it was just a raccoon, or maybe a goose, that decided to be in front of your car. You forgot which it was, too. But I know the memory, the feelings of fear and adrenaline, even if I wasn’t there. I felt them through you, through all the remaining scars of the car, and they’re mine now.

The stereo you reminisced with old embarrassing bands we enjoyed in a previous life, it’s gone, finally, swapped from something so-less-last-decade but there’s a gap where it fit. The CDs you left me were thrown out. They were mine, but they weren’t right. The memories were too strong. I can’t even remember when I lent them.

I threw your stuffed animal to my dog to destroy. It was not mine to do so, but I did. You didn’t seem attached to it even when you were at my side. But this car of memories of you, of yelling out lyrics together, of late night nicotine filled talks and crying, sobbing even, kisses at the stop lights, hands held watching the rain, snow, leaves, and wind blow our lives by.

They will continue to be mine, and I will continue to be selfish, looking out for myself.

These memories feel stolen, like I was a conman buying a car for the price of a large iced coffee only on paper and ran off with these good times of us together, friends or not, lovers, or not. Anything to each other, or not. They make the car feel larger, the speakers need to be louder so I don’t hear your laughter in my head.

The car is mine now, still, even though I can no longer call you my friend, my dear, my love, my ghost.

I will never be able to outrun these memories, even if I get the car fixed. You’re already in the passenger seat next to me some days. But, it may not even be necessary to run from them; they will just be here for the journey.

~~~~~~~
Published in Horizons Literary Magazine (2018)
Skyway Writing Festival Second Place Winner (2017)

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I think what comes to mind is that a car like that has a whole lot of character. Especially if it's memories you remember fondly of or not. Maybe it can be seen as a good thing if you're all alone and driving by yourself because, you can remember a time when you weren't alone. A memory that made you happy as you drive yourself home. Otherwise, accepting it instead of trying to out run the memories is a good thing. A sign of growing past things of the past and remembering it's simply a car in the aftermath. I guess it depends on how you want to view it in the grand scheme of things.

I'll be honest, I wish I had better words of wisdom about this. And I don't know what it's like to be surrounded by something someone gave me all day every day. But I really did like reading this a lot. I really like reading things that are real or personal to someone for a change of pace. :)

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think what comes to mind is that a car like that has a whole lot of character. Especially if it's memories you remember fondly of or not. Maybe it can be seen as a good thing if you're all alone and driving by yourself because, you can remember a time when you weren't alone. A memory that made you happy as you drive yourself home. Otherwise, accepting it instead of trying to out run the memories is a good thing. A sign of growing past things of the past and remembering it's simply a car in the aftermath. I guess it depends on how you want to view it in the grand scheme of things.

I'll be honest, I wish I had better words of wisdom about this. And I don't know what it's like to be surrounded by something someone gave me all day every day. But I really did like reading this a lot. I really like reading things that are real or personal to someone for a change of pace. :)
I'm very happy to bring whatever non-fiction I can over here. Thank you for reading. I'm really happy with how this one turned out, esp with how short it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back