• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My issue with the ending

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Ill just preface this by saying this i love this game to death, but I have a huge problem with the ending.

The problem is that Nomura needed to make a decision, at least for the time being, that sora Sora is dead. If thats the route he decided to take, then it should be a bitter sweet ending, not a happy one.
My issue is that if we look at it as the end of a saga, it should have been a self contained story. You cant tip toe around it by making him die and then showing a secret ending with him still alive in another world. Maybe you can do that months, or even years later, whenever youre gonna release the next game(similar to Kratos at the end of God of war 3, for instance). Imagine the reaction that wouldve been and how exciting it is to see sora back after thinking he was gone for so long!

However, what the secret trailer showed us just took away from the emotional impact of the ending. Its like he wanted to kill him but didnt want to at the same time

But the thing that bothers me the most with these kinds of decisions in video games/movies/etc is that the future of the character currently all depends on sales of the game, its not a self contained story.
Imagine a world where kh3 sells low numbers. Then there wouldnt be a new game and we would be left with this ending..is sora alive or not!?. Rather than coming to terms of him being gone for the greater good/bringing kairi back. It would also give his sacrafice more meaning rather than it being cheapened so quickly by the secret ending.

I feel like its just a huge missed opportunity for fans like me that have been playing kingdom hearts since they were kids. And wanted to see an end to sora’s journey. Sure they could continue his story but the impact of a self contained, succinct story was lost. And we couldnt leave the series with a definite ending.

Im interested to hear your thoughts?

Last edited:

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
The biggest issue is that for years we've been told that Kingdom Hearts is Sora's story. It'll always be Sora's story. Then we were told that KH3 is only the end of the Xehanort Saga. So even if the secret ending didn't show Sora alive/in limbo/whatever, the majority of us would know he was going to come back eventually.

There's also the issue of the secret ending always teasing the next game in the series. It's been that way since KH1.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, i know that its always gonna be soras story, as nomura constantly mentioned. But thats like saying theres no need to get invested in the storyline because we all know he will win in the end and save everyone. However, what we look forward to is HOW the story unfolds, and the way all the intricate details come together.

which brings me back to my original point, that the secret ending undermines the emotional impact of sora dying. And i believe that we couldve been kept in the dark as to his fate for a longer time. Just my 2 cents

Back