• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My fears, my lies: Discussing quadratum, and what it all possibly means

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

So this idea dawned on me today, and it honestly makes me a little afraid of what's to come. From the brief glimpses of what we've seen of the next saga where Sora ventures into animetown (yes, I know it's called something else, but it's anime town to me) we can see that this other reality has a more realistic feel to it, probably more than the Carribean and The grid. Which leads to what I think might be in this reality aside from that Tokyo scatter crossing cityscape: Live action Disney worlds. Now mind you, I DON'T want these kinds of worlds in future KH games because aside from Dumbo, all of them suck. I don't want to hang around with Tim Burton's Alice, or visit the new jungle book world with Bill Murray and Christopher Walkin (cool as that might be) because those movies aren't something I want to see out of Kingdom Hearts. Do I want to visit the Jungle Book world? yes! but the classic one made by Walt Disney back in the day. Because let's face it, there's no way Nomura is JUST going to do the Shibuya world in the next game and call it a day. He'll likely take the series in another wierd direction that borders on OC territory. What do you all think?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Some live action prospects are compelling, I'm thinking of Mary Poppins and Jolie!Maleficent in particular. But I agree that a trip to see Emma Watson's Belle would be a waste of time. Burton's Wonderland is aesthetically distinct enough that I think it would make for a fun world too.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I can't imagine how expensive it'd be to pay all those actors to use their likeness.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I was thinking about it awhile ago but I think it's still possible for some animated worlds to show up.

Inside Out should work if either Riku or Sora need the other to dive into their heart/mind to save them.

Maybe the Disney worlds will happen when the characters are sleeping? Yozora dreamed about fighting Sora in Re:Mind, if Yozora is the main playable character in the next game...maybe he'll just dream himself running around in the Jungle Book or something lol.

Another idea I had is Sora running into Luxord's somebody who has a bunch of Disney DVDs that Sora jumps into to make a gateway back home.

Last idea I had is that they'll go a darker route like 0.2 BBS, that game's take on the few disney worlds from BBS was cool. They could have parts of Quadratum be inspired by disney locations.

They don't necessarily have to have disney worlds in the Quadratum game, they could just up the disney character appearances.

Fairy Godmother will probably show up in the Final World again to help Riku who may retreat or to help the Nameless Star. You have Donald, Goofy, Mickey and Yensid.

Oswald and other new Disney characters could be in Quadratum for all we know.

WaltK

Awards
I’ve been thinking for the last couple of days about the idea of simply establishing some of Disney’s darker and more grittier properties, live-action or not, as being worlds related to Quadratum, or maybe those that have a bigger emphasis on sci-fi concepts.

This could be as good a place as any to introduce Star Wars, for example.

Soldier

Awards
Some live action prospects are compelling, I'm thinking of Mary Poppins and Jolie!Maleficent in particular. But I agree that a trip to see Emma Watson's Belle would be a waste of time. Burton's Wonderland is aesthetically distinct enough that I think it would make for a fun world too.
Well, Mary Poppins I'd be fine with. Maleficent is a hard sell though, but if they have the original Maleficent come in and blast her away with meteors that'd be fine.
And Tim Burton's Alice.... I'm not sure. The moment you said the aesthetically distinct enough made me think of when Alice had to climb all over the decapitated heads in the river in the movie, and I'm not sure how that'd make it into KH (or the other scenes of excessive violence for that matter). If the Pirates world had to face so much censorship, Then TB'S A will be put through the ringer.

I was thinking about it awhile ago but I think it's still possible for some animated worlds to show up.

Inside Out should work if either Riku or Sora need the other to dive into their heart/mind to save them.

Maybe the Disney worlds will happen when the characters are sleeping? Yozora dreamed about fighting Sora in Re:Mind, if Yozora is the main playable character in the next game...maybe he'll just dream himself running around in the Jungle Book or something lol.

Another idea I had is Sora running into Luxord's somebody who has a bunch of Disney DVDs that Sora jumps into to make a gateway back home.

Last idea I had is that they'll go a darker route like 0.2 BBS, that game's take on the few disney worlds from BBS was cool. They could have parts of Quadratum be inspired by disney locations.

They don't necessarily have to have disney worlds in the Quadratum game, they could just up the disney character appearances.

Fairy Godmother will probably show up in the Final World again to help Riku who may retreat or to help the Nameless Star. You have Donald, Goofy, Mickey and Yensid.

Oswald and other new Disney characters could be in Quadratum for all we know.
That could work, especially the Inside Out method. I don't have to tell you how much of a pain it'd be to implement it according to the regular source material.

I LOVED the implementation of Disney Worlds in 0.2. Kind of wish we'd get another game with characters exploring these ruined worlds.

Also the idea of Luxord's somebody having a bunch of DVD's is genius, wish I thought of it. Sora already accesses Space Paranoids and Verum Rex through computers/game consoles, so why not just hop into a movie?

Vulpes XIII

Awards
If they are doing live action movie worlds in the next game then I guess I’m probably just going to hate the majority of the worlds then since I’m not a fan of Disney live action movies except Pirates of the Caribbean movies because those are awesome (although I’ll admit there is some other Disney live actions movies I don’t mind but I wouldn’t want to see them in Kingdom Hearts)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'd be ok with live action properties taking up most of the Disney worlds in the Quadratum game. Seems like the perfect opportunity to use Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland 2010.

Not all of them need to be live action though since they could take place in alternate animated settings. Such as the Buzz Light-year spin off or Lightyear

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I wouldn't mind a one-off KH game that used the live-action remakes. One-time only use, to be very clear. I think both Alice in Wonderland 2010 and B&tB 2017 have pretty locales to explore. Perhaps Time from Alice Through the Looking Glass could be utilized in some relevant way to Sora's plight? I wouldn't even mind Oz the Great and Powerful since a boss battle with Rachel Weisz's Witch of the East would be amazing if done right.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I do think that having to pay for an actor's likeness will curb a whole game of live action worlds, which is for the best. I like the idea of Quadratum being a place to access weirder worlds than we are used to.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ Hopefully that'll help to block a plethora of Star Wars and Marvel, too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't think they are going to use live action films, but rather they will take the live action films as a basis and make their own new thing based on these stories. It allows SE to play around more with the concept of these characters and worlds without having to pay for character likeness AND it means they don't have to adapt the films.

In regards to Marvel and Star Wars, if they are allowed to have them, they will go the route of the animated shows in SW's case and either the animated shows or an original adaption in Marvel's case.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't think they are going to use live action films, but rather they will take the live action films as a basis and make their own new thing based on these stories. It allows SE to play around more with the concept of these characters and worlds without having to pay for character likeness AND it means they don't have to adapt the films.

In regards to Marvel and Star Wars, if they are allowed to have them, they will go the route of the animated shows in SW's case and either the animated shows or an original adaption in Marvel's case.
I figured if they were to adapt Star Wars they could have it be set during the Clone Wars with Anakin and Ahsoka as our party members. You could have a whole world be set in Coruscant

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
If they are doing live action movie worlds in the next game then I guess I’m probably just going to hate the majority of the worlds then since I’m not a fan of Disney live action movies except Pirates of the Caribbean movies because those are awesome (although I’ll admit there is some other Disney live actions movies I don’t mind but I wouldn’t want to see them in Kingdom Hearts)
The quality of a film is kinda irrelevant imo. What matters is how well it works as a video game level. If it has viable party party members, fightable villains or unique locations. Tron Legacy is a meh film but it's one of the more interesting DDD worlds. In contrast, I'd say Notre Dame was a weaker world despite being a more beloved classic.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
As somebody who loves the idea of the Verum Rex universe being the hub for Disney Live-Action properties, I can understand people's distaste for the idea simply due to the fact that they're inferior remakes of the animated movies except for The Jungle Book.

That being said, it's not out of the question for Square Enix to look through the catalogue of Disney Live-Action films and see which ones are compatible. The Tron characters from Space Paranoids avoided actor likeness so it wouldn't be the first time Square Enix utilised that creative loophole for a property.

^ Hopefully that'll help to block a plethora of Star Wars and Marvel, too.

Star Wars makes all of their media canon so I can see that property be much harder to integrate into Kingdom Hearts. Marvel, on the other hand, creates new iterations of their characters for every video game so they're much easier to integrate provided they get approved by Marvel Games.

Back