• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My baseless conspiracy theory on why KH3 was so dang easy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hoarse_Phuqer

2006. KH2 releases to the delight of fans everywhere. Disney doesn't pay it much mind as they mostly see it as a niche game for weebs. Still, it makes money and are content to let Nomura run loose so long as he can bring the profits.

Fast forward some 10+ years. Disney's power and influence has grown tenfold and are set on global domination. The KH series is released for the current console generation, bringing in new players. KH3 is announced, the game reaching meteoric heights of hype the likes of which the franchise has never before seen.

Watchful as ever, Disney notices the attention the game has given them, as excitement for a Disney game has rarely seen such levels of hype.

Seeing an opportunity to bring in even more potential players into the fold and further tighten their grip on the entertainment industry, the overlords at the House of Mouse summon Nomura to their lavishly decorated lair and say something along the lines of,

"lol you know what, your little game is lit and all but we need to make it accessible to kids and newcomers ROFL. Why don't you go ahead and dumb down the difficulty so everyone can play lol and simplify the story while you're at it and bait for sequels so we can hype them to hell and make mad stacks of cash lmao"

Frustrated, Nomura is forced to acquiesce to their demands, altering the final product from his original vision and releasing the finished game to a confused and polarized fanbase.

So begins the age of Disney keeping the beloved franchise under a tight, crushing fist

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Nomura: Due to modern trends, we decided to make the game a bit easier this time, and put the focus on variety of gameplay options and crowd control instead of overwhelming fights. Having said this, we have received requests for a harder mode and so we're fine-tuning critical mode right now to give it that challenge that some people crave.

Fandom: No it was Disney being an 80's movie villain controlling and demanding changes to the gameplay

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, it wasn’t Disney. They wouldn’t care if the game was easy or hard. Nomura tho *points to Audo’s post*

Disney can be strict, but they really have no clue about games so they leave the actual game mechanics to the developers and trust their judgement. It’s not like past KH games have necessarily been difficult, either.

Obiewantsanipod

No, it wasn’t Disney. They wouldn’t care if the game was easy or hard. Nomura tho *points to Audo’s post*

Disney can be strict, but they really have no clue about games so they leave the actual game mechanics to the developers and trust their judgement. It’s not like past KH games have necessarily been difficult, either.

Personally I found DDD to be quite challenging on proud mode. In KHIII I beat the game on level 38 and Dark Inferno on my first try. The difference is absolutely there and it's huge.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
While I think criticisms about the game's lack of difficulty are warranted, Spockanort's right that Disney (especially the departments SE/Nomura would be dealing with) likely don't have the necessary insight to accurately instruct Nomura's team on how to develop the gameplay in order to make it easy or "accessible." The idea that there would have been some blanket mandate to make the game "not hard" is sort of amusing but not realistic; there are too many elements that go into design which determine a game's level of ease and difficulty as it is naturally scaled for different factors (boss fights VS regular enemies, e.g.) and, as it happens, that's the stated reason critical mode wasn't included at launch.

For instance, when I listen to people who love KH2FM talk about what makes it great, I don't get the sense that they experience an obvious challenge to progressing absent the artificial addition of it through measures like 0 EXP runs, rather it's that the core mechanics underlying the gameplay which are more or less invisible to the casual player (like myself) are structured in a way that is really gratifying and open up entirely new ways to experience a playthrough. It's not challenging in the sense that it's the hardest struggle (if that was the case everyone would love Enigmatic Figure from BBS and literally nobody diddlying does), but that it has this depth of thought to the design that makes it rewarding to those who care enough to seek it out. Same reason people like the tech points in KH1 or, on a more marginal level, there's a demographic who really digs the panel system from Days. So, in the first place, it's not really a sufficient claim to state that KH3 is "too easy": that's not enough information to work off of.

While I think Mickey's gloveprints are all over the game in other areas (to which Nomura has also alluded) I just don't see how or why Disney would have a stake in trying to predetermine how the game plays, much less effectively do so. This strikes me as an example of SE and Nomura misreading popular demand, which isn't even a little unusual for either party.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It was for the Xbox players. Simple and clean.

Back