• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Multiple playable characters?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
(If this has been posed already I apologize; I haven't been on the forums in a few months and wasn't sure)

Do you think Kingdom Hearts III will have multiple playable character stories, like BBS and DDD? Or do you think that it'll be like the other "numbered" titles and have Sora as the exclusive protagonist?

Although I loved the mechanics in DDD and BBS, I'm not quite sure how I'd feel about multiple protagonists in III. On the one hand, I think there are too many wielders now to not have at least some of them be playable. On the other hand, I don't really want to shift the focus away from SDG or have the plot become more convoluted.

I definitely don't want there to be a multiple character situation like BBS where you play through the entire game, then start all over again as the next character on the list.

For the final boss fight, however, 7 Guardians versus Thirteen Darknesses, I feel like (some of) the other wielders need to be playable to have a satisfying end-game.

And then, of course, there's always the possibility of having characters simply being party characters. A small thing I noticed now too is that each character's health/magic bars are much smaller, to the point where in one screen you could easily fit many, many more party characters.

What are your thoughts on multiple playable protagonists?

AlbertJ

Awards
I really hope Sora is the only playable character. Playing KH and KH2 again made me realized how much I missed the Sora, Donald and Goofy team. I would rather them keep things like multiple playable characters, the command deck, ect. in the non-numbered titles. It served a purpose in BbS and DDD but I don't think it's needed here.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I think Sora is going to be the only main character. While nobody knows for sure, with both past games where you've had multiple playable characters at the same time (BbS/DDD), they were announced as such. KH3 has been announced for over a year now and they have barely mentioned Riku or Kairi (which would plausibly be the most likely candidates) and instead have focused completely on Sora. Given Nomura has said this is Sora's story that makes the most sense to be so I do not expect any other playable characters in the main storyline. Additional DLC storylines and such I'll keep open, but for the main story, I would assume just Sora unless stated otherwise.

Forsaken Shadow

I'm still holding out on playable Kairi/Lea sequences in the Realm of Darkness. Also we've been told that Riku and Mickey have been doing their own thing, searching for "past keyblade wielders". Would cutscenes really do such an important plot aspect justice?

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
I think Sora is going to be the only main character. While nobody knows for sure, with both past games where you've had multiple playable characters at the same time (BbS/DDD), they were announced as such. KH3 has been announced for over a year now and they have barely mentioned Riku or Kairi (which would plausibly be the most likely candidates) and instead have focused completely on Sora. Given Nomura has said this is Sora's story that makes the most sense to be so I do not expect any other playable characters in the main storyline. Additional DLC storylines and such I'll keep open, but for the main story, I would assume just Sora unless stated otherwise.

I hadn't thought of the announcements implying multiple characters straight off, that's a really good point. And I like the idea of multiple stories through DLC. I think that would definitely add to the game.

I'm still holding out on playable Kairi/Lea sequences in the Realm of Darkness. Also we've been told that Riku and Mickey have been doing their own thing, searching for "past keyblade wielders". Would cutscenes really do such an important plot aspect justice?

That's my thinking; leaving something as important as that seems too narrow to work well.

I'm fine with Sora only being playable.

I'm just hoping at the least we get a bigger party so i can switch out Donald with Aqua.

Again, I'm thinking the fact that the screen has so much extra space for more health bars and the health bars now being so small, indicates there being a solid chance of adding in 4+ additional party members at a time.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
I'm honestly not sure. It seems like we're just playing as Sora, but I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity if we don't get to play as Kairi or Riku in the game too. It's "Sora's Story," but Nomura's expanded on it so much that this finale really needs to give all of its stars some time to shine in some manner or another. Kairi, who's been especially underdeveloped through out the series so far, really needs some expanded time in the game for proper character development.

Axel92

Awards
I don't know... I really love Axel and Aqua... Maybe there could be different "missions" accessible from the main menu. Like playing as Ada Wong in Reverse Way in Resident Evil 4

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'm expecting Sora to be the main player except for perhaps a one-off battle or two using other characters in the "final battle." I don't think Mickey and Riku's plot has any more or less need to be played than in KH1 and KH2. They've always been off doing their own thing, which lets the game build up to a climax at the end.

HeartlessOfLight

Like others have said, I too have a feeling it'll be just Sora that's playable. One could argue that Riku should be playable due to his and Mickey's mission of tracking down past Keyblade wielders, but I feel that part of the plot could be portrayed via cutscenes. Like, every so often after beating a world or something you get a little look into what Riku and Mickey are doing, leaving you wanting to see more of where they're going and who they find (if they find anybody).
Personally, I'd like for their to be multiple playable characters, Kairi especially. She really deserves some time in the spotlight at this point in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back