• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Multiple Endings Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoldman76

So I don’t know if this has been addressed elsewhere. If so, sorry. But I’ve been thinking about the potential ending for KH3, and my mind is still spinning from when Nomura said this ending was something he’s been wanting to do since his ff days. I’m not a big ff guy, but I was thinking, maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 will have multiple endings. I don’t think the reasoning that it’s never been done before is viable bc this is the last game of the first saga. We’ve never seen them end a saga before, so I find it possible that instead of a secret movie at the end teasing the new saga, we could get an alternate ending. I imagine that there could be a bad ending for just completing the game where Xehanort comes out on top, but once you collect all reports, stickers, or other collectibles, then you get the good (and canon) ending.

Thoughts?

Meow Wow

Awards
Multiple endings in the form of New Game+ would be something I would be down for.

I think the canon ending should be the first one you go through so it is established with the player that that is canon, then the players could have fun with bad or alternate endings.
Overall the likleyhood of multiple endings is slim to none, but it would be fun.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
The reason why I don't think this is viable is exactly because this is the finale of a saga that people have been playing/expecting for officially five years, and emotionally more than a decade. And since a long time ago KH III has been portrayed at the closing chapter with definitive answers to each character's storyline, so putting multiple endings would highly damage that view as well.
Having to collect everything to unlock the good ending seems to be the trend with a lot of collect-a-ton games these days, but given the broad audience of KH III and the reality that not everyone will go to such lenghts (we still got misunderstandings due to the fact that many players never bothered checking Journals and stuff) that doesn't seem a good idea still.

Unless they do it Disgaea style and aside from the canon ending there are a bunch of what if ones for funzies.
Frankly I don't see any of these, it's just not how KH does things. And I am of the idea you shouldn't take this approach with a story-heavy game (much less alone a whole saga) anyway.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I loathe this idea. Not only because it's too out of place but it completely derails the emotional investment made in all the various titles if there's more than one outcome. Drakengard and Nier can get away with it because their narratives are more self-contained. Kingdom Hearts cannot.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
I loathe this idea. Not only because it's too out of place but it completely derails the emotional investment made in all the various titles if there's more than one outcome. Drakengard and Nier can get away with it because their narratives are more self-contained. Kingdom Hearts cannot.

a second the loathing. to have a multiple ending scenario would do this game and the franchise a disservice.

Laurel

Awards
Since Nomura states that the theme is resolution, I imagine that there would be one ending. Multiple endings are cool and all, but it just doesn't fit with Kingdom Hearts. The franchaise has always stuck with one ending with all its games, and now all those games will be leading up to a resolution that would need to tie everything together instead of branching out to different routes.

Perkilator

Awards
I feel like this would be a better concept with future titles. Maybe in a style where you get the normal canon ending first, and then the good canon ending after you collect everything and beat the final boss.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don’t think it’ll be multiple endings, but rather we will have an ending and then another ending. I guess the best example I can use is WoFF where the game had an “ending” then something happens to essentially correct that ending that still kept the story on a linear story path. Or like TWEWY where each week had an “end” but served as an ending to an act.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I don’t think it’ll be multiple endings, but rather we will have an ending and then another ending. I guess the best example I can use is WoFF where the game had an “ending” then something happens to essentially correct that ending that still kept the story on a linear story path. Or like TWEWY where each week had an “end” but served as an ending to an act.

What if it was like a Final Episode or Reverse/Rebirth scenario? The whole game we play as Sora and the “ending” is a cliffhanger. Then we unlock one or more episodes of other playable characters which would either fill in gaps of the story before the “ending” or would take place after it when the other Guardians fight to save Sora. Upon completing those we would unlock the true ending where Sora defeats Xehanort once and for all.

They could really fake people out by having an ending where Sora loses, credits roll, and then the unlocked episode prompts pops up at the battle report screen.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
It would be interesting, but apart from New Game+ I can't think of any way that they could implement it in KH. Everything runs on a pretty tight script in KH.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
The only multiple endings thing I think that could work is Alternate Cutscenes similar to KH2 like when you lose against Seifer in the beginning or Win against him.

But Multiple Endings? I mean that will probably be a thing if we're talking about having different endings for each character like Lea, Xion and Roxas finally going to the beach or Kairi and Sora share the Papou Fruit.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
The only multiple endings thing I think that could work is Alternate Cutscenes similar to KH2 like when you lose against Seifer in the beginning or Win against him.

But Multiple Endings? I mean that will probably be a thing if we're talking about having different endings for each character like Lea, Xion and Roxas finally going to the beach or Kairi and Sora share the Papou Fruit.

I would love a Reverse/Rebirth thing for other characters but that would either be DLC or another game entirely. KH 3.2, Another Side Another Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back