• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Mulan (2020)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Hong Kong protesters call to boycot "Mulan" after Liu Yifei went public support of the police.
Eh, I doubt this will put much of a dent in the film's profit. Plus the controversy around the actress should die off by the time March comes

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Hong Kong protesters call to boycot "Mulan" after Liu Yifei went public support of the police.

It won’t do anything. It’s gross that Liu Yifei said that but she is one of many influential people in China saying this stuff to tout the government line.

Fuck the Chinese government, though. What is happening in HK is insane.

Lulcy

Awards
The most amusing thing from this is reading comments how somehow her political stance corelates to her acting skills. Galaxy brain reasoning.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I have not seen any of the Disney live action movies(though I think I’ve seen clips of the Jungle Book), and this one was going to be the first one I was going to see.

Good to know I’ll be saving 10-15 dollars by not seeing this. I’m so tired of Hollywood conforming to China’s interests, especially now more than ever.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Though all of the live-action adaptations have been overshadowed by their predecessors, I always want them to be more than what they actually end up as. The Jungle Book still reigns supreme for me, though I've liked very specific aspects of this year's films, namely the way the writers embellished Jasmine. I was asleep in the Lion King until Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner started talking. This is one I was actually excited for, like Dumbo. The promotional stills just looked so strong and majestic.

However, I will not be watching this. The lead is a coward and is clearly only operating out of her own privileged self-interest. I will not be able manifest enough suspension of disbelief for this film considering the hero she is portraying (so, truly an actress in every sense of the word) is a powerful and iconic symbol of besting antiquated authoritarian assholes.

Eh, I doubt this will put much of a dent in the film's profit. Plus the controversy around the actress should die off by the time March comes

You say this like you're almost hopeful? Hopefully I'm wrong about that, but you posting the most recent trailer leads me to believe otherwise. People casually resign themselves to this type of thinking and then support the film proselytizing that it won't otherwise make a difference. It will make a difference if you choose not to support it, because you didn't go. Don't look towards Disney's box office numbers for the definitive answer; that's not going to help your moral compass.

Lulcy

Awards
Something something , art & artist are separate entities, something something.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Oh, well, now you've convinced me. Washing my hands and watching the movie now. :poop:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
For me, cutting the songs made me grit my teeth. Cutting Shang and Mushu pissed me off, too, but I think I would've still resigned myself and watched it. The whole appeasement to the Chinese dictatorship thing is what really turned me off from supporting this at the box office, and almost makes me wonder if the songs / characters being cut was a part of that. It's not just Disney doing it either, it's a wider problem with the film industry, sports, etc.

No doubt I'll still see the film on TV or something down the line, but I decided I'm not seeing it in theaters or purchasing it on home media. I'm sure it'll be successful regardless. *shrug* If others want to see it though, that's their prerogative.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

Am I the only person who thinks this is bullshit? The bond that forms between Shang and Mulan should not be so lightly compared to the realities of #MeToo. The former was entirely consensual and Shang never used his position to gain anything from Ping/Mulan. In fact, nothing really comes out of it until the end when Mulan is Shang’s equal. Comparing that to the traumatic experiences of #MeToo survivors is disgusting to me and is most likely just virtue signaling to give them an excuse to cut a character that the audience can read as bisexual.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
This sh!t keeps getting worse, and I definitely don't believe that MeToo excuse since nothing in the 1998 film even comes close to insinuating that. I am more keen to believe that Disney did not want to do the Li Shang plot of him liking Ping/Mulan because he might be Bi. If I were in charge of marketing I would not let any of production crew or actors say anything else until this movie releases because every time they open their mouths they keep adding kindle to this dumpster fire.

OneDandelion

Awards
It's gonna be a feminist #Metoo fest so I am definitely not supporting this movie. There is also 0.00% chance that it will even come close to the animated film.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
On one hand, I see where Disney is coming from with this price point. For the average family of four going to the theatre, this would have cost like $60. So with larger groups of people sharing one screen, this will be a bargain and they stand to lose money from piracy/account sharing. So it makes sense that they want to charge a premium price.

But for someone like me, who would have to watch it solo, it would cost me double the normal amount as seeing it in a theatre, not including the subscription fee, which makes me unlikely to watch it considering I was already on the fence. I’m also interested to know if this is a rental or if it’s unlocked permanently once you pay the $30. Either way, I can’t see it being worthwhile and unless you have people to split the cost with.

Last edited:
Back