• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mother/EarthBound (series)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I'm not really expecting this thread to get too far, but I figured what the hell. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here knows about or has played any of the Mother games. If you ever played EarthBound on the SNES, that's Mother 2. What basically happened is that we never ended up getting Mother 1, (despite the fact that the localization was finished and basically ready to be sold to the masses) but Nintendo of America released the sequel, so they renamed it EarthBound. I still haven't had a chance to play Mother 3, but I really wanna get around to that considering how amazing I've been told it is (and I already thought EarthBound was amazing.) For anyone who's never heard of it at all (and I doubt that's a lot of you considering this is the internet and all), Mother is the Nintendo series of rpgs taking place in suburban lands strongly inspired by America. (The first game literally takes place here.) Ness and Lucas from Smash Bros. are also originally from this series, though they're not connected by the story.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, so I'll leave it at that.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Re: Mother (series)

My history with the Mother series is knowing quite a bit about it, wanting to play it very much, and always finding useless roms. :/
Did they ever get a virtual console release?

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

Unfortunately, no, and I've kinda had it with their shit on this issue. Reggie from NoA has even complained about fans being up his ass about the Mother series more so than anything else that they decided not to release, but it's just blatantly ignored. From the business angle, I get why to actually produce a hard copy of a remake for the DS/3DS would not be economical since it's still very obscured over here, but a VC release shouldn't be an issue. It would cost them next to nothing to upload their own legit port to the SNES archive to make a pretty decent profit considering the cult following. This is further solidified by the fact that EarthBound has been the #1 most desired VC game for a very long time. (Not sure if it still is atm because I haven't checked in a while, but it most definitely was for a number of years.)

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

That sucks so much. Really, if he went out and complained about fans complaining about it, someone should get it in his or her fat head that there's a market. (though I'm sure that the odds of it releasing here are even lower, as far as I know none of the games were ever released in Europe)

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

I've played Mother 3 and it was pretty fun. Although if you're familiar with the gameplay, you would already know how heavily it focuses on grinding much more than most RPGs. Since it was a translation, I can't completely say for a canon sense but I like the little references the translation team incorporated into it. The storyline is pretty emotional and goofy at times. You could really tell the developer has spent a lot of time thinking about what each character would say.

Awards

I hear that there are a few legal rights getting in the way of Earthbound getting a VC release, to be more accurate copyright issues.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv

the thing is those copyright issues stem from how a lot of things are references to pop culture. various songs borrow riffs and stuff from songs (the mr. batty theme in mother 3, iirc, sounds a lot like the 60s batman theme), and there's also other things.

when earthbound originally came out, it wasn't an issue because copyright holders weren't nearly as anal and protective of their stuff as they are now, and nintendo wants to prevent getting into inane lawsuits over these holders because they'll just be all HURR DURR THAT SOUNDS LIKE THIS SONG TIME TO SUE YOU OUTTA BUSINESS HURR DURR and stuff.

i think.

also i've never once found a bad earthbound rom, or earthbound zero or mother 3 either. i don't know where you were lookin' mangaartist.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Them reasons be makin' sense.

Bad places, obviously. Aren't the only ones I had trouble with it.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

Yeah, that's true. One of the battle themes sounds like Johnny B. Goode and there's a blatant reference to the Blues Brothers, and that's just in EarthBound, so I can only imagine what Mother 1 and 3 have. The Mother 3 translation is pretty good, but there's a rhythm game associated with battling, and I can't get the timing. I tap the button precisely in accordance with the music, but I've read that the music in a rom isn't properly synchronized, which would explain why I had such a hard time. Sadly, that's the reason why I couldn't keep going with it. The game would've been too hard otherwise.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

The most recent news I've ever heard from the Mother series was one of the designers had worked on a little side story for Professor Layton and the Last Specter. It shares the same style the Mother games do.

.Oji

赤いテキスト

You're talking about Professor Layton's London Life.

I think it’s time for Nintendo to step up to the plate and make another Mother game; give the series a fresh new set of eyes. Sure, you could make the case that Mother without Itoi isn’t Mother per se, I hear you. The Mother series were a wonderful batch of games and we'll never see a follow-up to those titles. That doesn’t mean they can’t make another [good] game.

What I’m requesting is for them to approach the series with a fresh perspective; breathe new life into a dead series à la Kid Icarus. Give Mother to Sora Ltd. if need be.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

I agree with this, as long as it still has the same type of setting, wacky dialogue, and solid old school Dragon Warrior-like mechanics.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards

mother 3 is honestly just the pinnacle of storytelling in video games ever

theirlosthearts

Awards

The only exposure to Mother that I have really had is smash bros (not counting reading bits about it on the net), but just from what I know, I want to play these games very badly. Could they change the references to things that Nintendo has rights to use? Or would that be too much work to do that and keep up the high quality of the originals?

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv

Yeah, that's true. One of the battle themes sounds like Johnny B. Goode and there's a blatant reference to the Blues Brothers, and that's just in EarthBound, so I can only imagine what Mother 1 and 3 have. The Mother 3 translation is pretty good, but there's a rhythm game associated with battling, and I can't get the timing. I tap the button precisely in accordance with the music, but I've read that the music in a rom isn't properly synchronized, which would explain why I had such a hard time. Sadly, that's the reason why I couldn't keep going with it. The game would've been too hard otherwise.

i didn't have that issue when i played the rom.

seriously where are you people getting these things XD

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

Idk, I just never got it to work except by accident when I wasn't even trying. >.<

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
Re: Muthaaa, tell ya children not to walk ma waaay

Right from the beginning when they killed off Hinawa, I knew it was gonna be the kinda story that pulls no punches. But, I didn't get much farther. It just sucks that my whiteness prevents me from being able to rhythmically play along with the battle mechanics.

Edit: Shit. Sorry for the double post. I didn't realize I was the most recent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back