• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Mother Being Protective

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So, my mother is never one to tell me "no" when it comes to going out. I'm always responsible, I don't go to parties, I'm always with people, and generally I'm safe. She always says she doesn't understand parents who don't let their children go out and explore the world around them on their own.

Of course, she has always been there to drive me places and pick me up, but now our car is broken and the only viable option is for me to ride the bus.

The problem is that she won't let me. She says that my neighborhood is too dangerous and it isn't safe for me to ride the bus because all kinds of people ride them. She is right on both counts, but how am I supposed to get anywhere if I don't ride the bus? I commute 12 miles to my college and the only way I can get there and back now is the bus (or asking my friend for a ride to school, and taking the bus back home)

Also, I need to find a job so I can pay for my phone bill and buy school supplies, but because my mother won't let me go on the bus to find a job in the neighborhood, I can't search for a job. She told me I should ask my aunt or grandmother for help, but I don't want to do that because my aunt is mental and stuck in her own world and my grandmother doesn't have spare cash for things like $200 textbooks.

There is also my other aunt but I asked her for help earlier this year and she lied in my face that she couldn't so there is no way I'm going to ask her again. Her attempts at trying to help me by sending links to grants and scholarships doesn't help at all considering I don't qualify for any scholarships being a third year student and I'm currently in a tangle with Financial Aid so I can't even get my grant money.

One thing my mother has taught me is that I have to go out and do things myself and not rely on others, but she is pretty much asking me to do that. She always tells me I can go wherever I want, but she is petty much telling me I can't by telling me I can't take the bus.

What should I do? I start crying whenever I try to explain what she is doing by not letting me ride the bus, and all she tells me is I can go out but not here and where else can I go if I have no car?

Should I just ignore her and take the bus anyways? I don't want to start having problems with my mother because we really only have each other. I understand that the streets are dangerous, but it isn't like I'm going to ride the bus to Compton or Watts or any bad city in Los Angeles. I'm taking the bus to school and back, then down the street and back if I can get a job in a shopping center just three miles down.

Last edited:

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
Man, I understand how you feel. I've always been pretty tough and independent, but I always cry when I'm arguing with my mom. I'm assuming you're at least 18, and if you're responsible then I'd say do it anyway. I'm not from that area but if you feel comfortable taking the bus, then I'd do it if I were you. Not saying it's the best thing to do (I'm not sure what the best option here is), but I'd do it.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Wouldn't know what to tell you. Half the time my mom, and I fight. So just try and reason with her.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Despite popular belief, using a Public Bus isn't as dangerous as it sounds (I use them almost every day). The dangerous thing is walking to/from stops at night.

Your mother not letting you ride the bus is a little... irrational. But, she's doing it because she believes it's dangerous, and you can't really change that. You should try to explain to her that it's your only choice at the moment, and that, even though it does pose some risk, that risk is necessary to get to school. Maybe try getting a friend at the college to maybe ride the bus with you so your mom will know that there will be someone else around just in case something happens.

Hope everything works out for you, Ethnic. ^_^

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
1. Your a grown ass women, if you need to take the bus then do so, though I understand not wanting to disrespect your moms, but as I said before your a grown women you have to do what you have to do to get shit done!

2. By your age I would think you'd have your own car, & liscence I've been saving for my car since before I had my permit.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
1. Your a grown ass women, if you need to take the bus then do so, though I understand not wanting to disrespect your moms, but as I said before your a grown women you have to do what you have to do to get shit done!

2. By your age I would think you'd have your own car, & liscence I've been saving for my car since before I had my permit.

you give the best advice hot damn

Zero

Sergeant RoxMog
Im basically the same way you are and my parents used to be the same when I wanted to use the bus to get to work but I got them to understand by just explaining it to them that I needed to use it and I had no other choice and that im old enough to take care of myself if anything would happen. Also, if you had some money you could use a taxi, or look online for the numbers to the stores in your area and see if their hiring. If you cant do any of that try to really calm down and talk to her one-on-one or get a relative you trust to try and convince her to let you use the bus, hopefully it helps and good luck.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Well, walking to the bus can be dangerous at times. My sister was stalked before and almost picked up by 30 year old guys during the time she was in high school (she's one year younger than me). Is it possible to have someone walk with you? I've definitely dealt with the stresses of hard times, sometimes, getting a car can get back seated. Though, I went to a college that was three hours away, so I lived on campus, so I didn't have to worry about driving and what not... Anyway, try to get someone to accompany you to the bus, that's all I can say.

noheartx

Ah i know how you feel, my mom is the same way about everything. I mean i dont ride a bus, but she doesnt want me to explore. I'd say take it anyway, because if you dont your education will suffer, unless you can find a better way. Above all, you should put your education, so if all else fails you may have to take the bus.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Or carry a can of mace... Don't be ashamed to have to defend yourself. When I was younger, I took up martial arts so I became comfortable walking around day and night, surrounded by all kinds of filth. On occasion I had to accompany my sister to the bus till she was 18 years old, there's no shame in wanting to be safe.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Well after reading your life's story on your tumblr, I can empathize with you and understand what you're going through.

I live in Brooklyn and I use the public transportation system all the time. To be honest, in the year that I've been using it, the only unsafe thing that could go wrong would be molestation. Seriously, they pack us like sardines most of the time. If you follow basic safety (IE don't showcase any jewelery/electronics at night, always be vigilant, etc, etc) you'll be fine.

It's heartbreaking, but you'll have to go against what you're mother says and just ride the bus. How else will you advance? You'll be nothing than a caged canary, and I know how that feels.

If she were to reprimand you, just stay quiet. Don't argue, don't talk back, just let her. If anything, just try to explain your reasons . Arguing, and judging by what you described, will only ruin the relationship you cherish so much.

Last edited:

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
You just gotta be blunt and make her listen. I realize you gotta respect her but you're an adult now, given the converse is that she can throw you out if you piss her off too much. Just gotta handle it delicately. Keep your voice down, make your case without her interrupting, and hope for the best

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Man, I understand how you feel. I've always been pretty tough and independent, but I always cry when I'm arguing with my mom. I'm assuming you're at least 18, and if you're responsible then I'd say do it anyway. I'm not from that area but if you feel comfortable taking the bus, then I'd do it if I were you. Not saying it's the best thing to do (I'm not sure what the best option here is), but I'd do it.

Yeah, I'm 20. Arguing with a mother is the hardest thing to do. I don't know what it is when it comes to back-talking a parent, but it gets really hard. And I am definitely comfortable taking the bus. I've been doing it since I was ten and used to take the bus home during high school. I've definitely been in more dangerous situations than sitting at a bus stop.

Despite popular belief, using a Public Bus isn't as dangerous as it sounds (I use them almost every day). The dangerous thing is walking to/from stops at night.

Your mother not letting you ride the bus is a little... irrational. But, she's doing it because she believes it's dangerous, and you can't really change that. You should try to explain to her that it's your only choice at the moment, and that, even though it does pose some risk, that risk is necessary to get to school. Maybe try getting a friend at the college to maybe ride the bus with you so your mom will know that there will be someone else around just in case something happens.

Hope everything works out for you, Ethnic. ^_^

Yeah, I know that the bus isn't dangerous, but my mother thinks that. I already told her the concern is the bus stop, and I'd be standing in a public area on a busy street to catch them so it isn't as bad as being in some empty area.

I already got a friend to ride the bus home with me. We have been planning this since last semester, but our classes always got in the way. We both have protective parents so we figured that this way we can explore the city around our college and not have our parents nervous for our safety. Thank you Luap <3

You're an adult, you can do whatever the bonk you want.

Not when I live under my mother's roof. :\

Why do you think I'm looking for a job? When I was in high school all of my spare cash went into paying for my private school tuition and in university all of my work money went into paying for food and books and helping out with bills since my mother doesn't have a job. :|

I'm in community college now so I can save money.

Im basically the same way you are and my parents used to be the same when I wanted to use the bus to get to work but I got them to understand by just explaining it to them that I needed to use it and I had no other choice and that im old enough to take care of myself if anything would happen. Also, if you had some money you could use a taxi, or look online for the numbers to the stores in your area and see if their hiring. If you cant do any of that try to really calm down and talk to her one-on-one or get a relative you trust to try and convince her to let you use the bus, hopefully it helps and good luck.

It would cost too much to take a taxi to school every day XD I checked. Fare would be somewhere around $30 and I don't have that kind of money to throw away. And a lot of the places around my neighborhood are privately owned so I have to go and ask. But I've already done searches for the other businesses and they are hiring, I just have to go to the stores and apply.

Thanks Zero~

Well, walking to the bus can be dangerous at times. My sister was stalked before and almost picked up by 30 year old guys during the time she was in high school (she's one year younger than me). Is it possible to have someone walk with you? I've definitely dealt with the stresses of hard times, sometimes, getting a car can get back seated. Though, I went to a college that was three hours away, so I lived on campus, so I didn't have to worry about driving and what not... Anyway, try to get someone to accompany you to the bus, that's all I can say.

Oh gosh, that is really creepy. At least you were there for her.

Lol, the bus stop is across the street. You can see them from the window so it isn't like my mom can't snoop and look out of it.

See if your mom will ride the bus with you, so you can show her it's not all that dangerous. My parents used to be like that because I live in a rough area, but they realised it wasn't 'as' dangerous as they thought.

I've tried to do that multiple times. She just says no. I think it is some kind of generation thing because a lot of parents I know in the same age range say the same thing to their kids.

Ah i know how you feel, my mom is the same way about everything. I mean i dont ride a bus, but she doesnt want me to explore. I'd say take it anyway, because if you dont your education will suffer, unless you can find a better way. Above all, you should put your education, so if all else fails you may have to take the bus.

I've already told myself I'm going to do what I need to do, I just want to do this without panicking my mother.

Or carry a can of mace... Don't be ashamed to have to defend yourself. When I was younger, I took up martial arts so I became comfortable walking around day and night, surrounded by all kinds of filth. On occasion I had to accompany my sister to the bus till she was 18 years old, there's no shame in wanting to be safe.

Lol I have mace and I've taken karate and self defense classes, and I'm always thinking five steps ahead when I'm out so I always have pens in my pocket if it need to stab somebody in the eye or neck. And for art class we need a matte knife so I have that in my bag as well. I think I'm probably more of the danger than the other people on the street. xD

Thank you for the advise, the Conquerer. :D

Well after reading your life's story on your tumblr, I can empathize with you and understand what you're going through.

I live in Brooklyn and I use the public transportation system all the time. To be honest, in the year that I've been using it, the only unsafe thing that could go wrong would be molestation. Seriously, they pack us like sardines most of the time. If you follow basic safety (IE don't showcase any jewelery/electronics at night, always be vigilant, etc, etc) you'll be fine.

It's heartbreaking, but you'll have to go against what you're mother says and just ride the bus. How else will you advance? You'll be nothing than a caged canary, and I know how that feels.

If she were to reprimand you, just stay quiet. Don't argue, don't talk back, just let her. If anything, just try to explain your reasons . Arguing, and judging by what you described, will only ruin the relationship you cherish so much.

Yeah, Once it gets a certain time and I'm out at night I just stuff all my valuables into my bag and keep an eye out for any suspicious people.

And yeah. I'm going to do whatever I need to do. And if she were to yell at me, the only thing I could do is stay quiet because, like I said, I start crying. Mostly out of frustration, but also because I have that childish reaction of feeling guilty when I shouldn't.

You just gotta be blunt and make her listen. I realize you gotta respect her but you're an adult now, given the converse is that she can throw you out if you piss her off too much. Just gotta handle it delicately. Keep your voice down, make your case without her interrupting, and hope for the best

I'll try. Thank you everybody for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back