• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Monster Hunter: World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Monster Hunter: Patriotic game about killing huge monsters

650l0w.jpg

-EVIL JOE evil jooooeeeee-

What is Monster Hunter?
Monster Hunter is an Action-RPG series developed and published by Capcom. The object of the game is to kill monsters, carve their body parts to create insanely large weapons/armor to be able to take on larger, even more frightening creatures. Play alone or with 3 other virile buxoms or machismo mofos.

There is plot, but none to concern yourself with as it only ends up with a village elder/leader telling you to go kill these fearsome beasts. There are no "levels" by the traditional RPG sense, and many of the High Rank monsters require skill and lore to take down. Also, if you have no patience whatsoever, skip this series. It requires a lot of it.

Apparently Monster Hunter Portable 3rd outsold the newest pokemon by at least twice as much: blue line: monster hunter. Red line: pokemon.

Why Should You Play Monster Hunter?

Basic Gameplay Info
-There are no "levels." You advance in the game by completing certain quests which increase your "rank."
-Quests are not just stabbing a fleshy or scaly thing until don't move nummore, there are also capture quests. Capturing a monster instead of killing them will sometimes result in more drops, but generally captures are useful when looking for a rare, specific monster part.
-You craft armor and weapons by carving parts from monsters or gathering materials from the field.
-By crafting higher rank armors or upgrading them, you can increase your defense. However, this will not stop you from dying to most High Rank monsters.
-Armor skills: the most important thing. Each armor piece adds points to different, particular skills. Get enough points in a skill, and that skill will activate. There are all kinds of skills, ranging from things like "BBQ Expert" and "Speed Sharpener" to basic things like "Attack up" or "Ice Resist +10."
-There are 12 different weapons in the series (8 in MHTri). Melee weapons have a "Sharpness" meter which depletes as you hit things and periodically needs to be sharpened. Ranged weapons use ammunition.
-There is a kitchen or a spa (in Portable 3rd) that by using them in certain combinations will buff your character, which you can carry into missions. These offer bonuses such as more health or stamina, as well as exclusive skills like more loot gained at the end of a mission, stronger bombs, or landing from any height without flinching.
-Quests are timed, usually about 50 minutes. Some quests have shorter limits. If you do not complete the objectives within the time, you fail.
-There are limited lives for the quests, most of the time it is 3 lives. This is shared among your party.

Brief MH Games History
Monster Hunter
The original. A PS2 title.
Monster Hunter Freedom
PSP port of the original. Features local ad-hoc multiplayer and everything from the original.
Monster Hunter Dos
Sequel to the original, never given release outside Japan. Redone maps, more online quests, lotsa new monsters.
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
PSP port of the 2nd game. Now a novelty item due to being obsolete due to....
*Monster Hunter Freedom Unite*
Yup. Features all of the monsters up until this point plus several new additions, totaling a massive 57 boss creatures to hunt. If you want to get into the series and have a PSP, this is the title to invest in.
*Monster Hunter Tri*
Basically a "console reboot," much of the content has been whittled or redone. If you don't have a PSP and own a Wii, this is the best place to start. Looks great, feels good. Has online multiplayer.
*Monster Hunter Portable 3rd*
Somewhat of an expansion to Tri, retooling how weapons work and adds a boatload of new monsters. This is the place to be if Unite and Tri aren't enough.
Monster Hunter Frontier
The PC MMO of the series. Currently only running in various asian countries (Taiwan, Japan, Korea), it features huge lobbies, a pseudo-leveling system, ludicrous amounts of gear, new maps, and its own set of exclusive beasts (on top of everything that isn't exclusive to MHFU/3rd Generation), totaling at well over 60 different boss monsters to hunt. Play long enough and you'll gain access to completely redone versions of many of the boss monsters, shooting the unique hunt count to over 100.

Some FAQs and Resources
Q: Will I like the game?
I don't know, go rent it?
Q: Do I kill it or capture it?
90% of the time, the answer is "unless you can only get it from carving, you should capture the monster". Capturing results in more rewards overall and generally takes less time.
Q: Which is the best weapon?
All of them are. Pick your favorite.

Monster Hunter Wikia
R.O.T.R.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SocialDissonance?blend=2&ob=1
If anything else just ask in the thread or in IRC.

mz. eggsy

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
WARNING YOU ARE GOING TO GET YOUR ASS KICKED

haqlC.jpg

(suspected US/PAL release Summer 2011)

Fresh and clean, MHP3rd was released on December 1st in Japan. Lots of new and beautiful things in this game, also looks good.

(crosspost from old thread)
Additions:
-Some new monsters! There's a new bear, rabbit, armordillo, and some others that you'll have to see for yourself.
-Returning elements! There are some monsters from the older games that have been brought back, as well as all of the weapons that Tri had previously dropped.
-Cat partners! That's right, not only are cats back, but you can have two of them! Plus, you can customize their gear! Hot damn~
-Some new areas! Also, the old areas have been revised to suit the gameplay.
-Weapon modification spheres. Give some uniqueness to your weapon by enhancing it with a variety of weapon spheres.
-In-mission storage! There is a cat who will hang on to your stuff if your inventory gets full.

Removals:
-Underwater combat as a whole has been wiped away. No more swimming. You would have drowned anyway.
-Monsters removed due to this fact: Gobul and Lagiacrus.
-Cha-Cha. He's gone. I hope he's dead.
-Your second analog stick. :(
-Proper online play. :(((((

WEAPONS
Twelve of them this time.

Sword and Shieldhttp://i.imgur.com/IPpht.png
Unchanged from Tri, this small weapon may look like it's weak (and to be honest, they are), but it makes up for it with near unmatched speed as well as the ability to both block and use items with the weapon drawn. When the correct element is used, the sword and shield is on par with, if not better, than any other weapon. Requires a lot of sharpening.

lVXrk.png

Great Sword
Big, slow, and incredibly powerful. They remain mostly unchanged from Tri, including the various slaps that would cause knock-out damage against monsters that would execute mid-combo. Not a simple weapon by any means, not recommended for beginners to the game.

nUhl4.png

Long Sword
Unchanged from Tri, the long sword is exactly what it sounds like. Has the mobility of the Sword and Shield with the range of the Great Sword. Hitting a monster with it causes your spirit gauge to fill, which can be unleashed in a flurry of attacks with increased power. Some of these attacks also give you invincibility frames, so you never have to stop swinging.

1o5F8.png

Lance
The Lance still remains the best class for avoiding damage of any kind. You can hardly move when wielding the weapon, but most anything can be blocked head-on and much better than with a Sword and Shield or Great Sword. On top of this heavily defense-oriented fight style, Lances also have the advantage of being able to break monster parts that require impact damage or cut off tails and anything else that requires cutting damage.

Qq1Hd.png

Hammer
Hammer is the king of knock outs and heavy impact damage. You move slightly slower with it wielded and don't have much for closing range, but you do crazy amounts of damage and if done right, the monster will spend half of the fight dizzy because you kept hitting it in the face.

6awPA.png

Switch Axe
The switch axe is like putting the best parts of the high damage weapons into one. You have great sword-esque attack power, long sword-esque attack speed, a pseudo-wyvern fire function ala gunlance, the side-stepping dodges of a lance, and the rolls of regular weapons in addition to quicker recovery from heavy attacks. Like the gunlance, this weapon is difficult to master but manages to look incredibly stylish when used properly.

Light and Heavy Bowgun
Returning in their old-style fashion of being premade guns that chamber specific numbers of specific shots, they keep their other Tri improvements such as dodges and new shot types (wyvernfire, slicing, exhaust). Light Bowguns are more evade-oriented, focusing on firing rapidfire volleys of bullets without being hit. Heavy Bowguns are cannon-esque, especially with a new function in MHP3 that allows the user to kneel down and never have to reload. Heavy Bowguns can be equipped with shields that allow them to tank hits from certain attacks without needing to try and dodge with the reduced movespeed.

eNE3p.png

Dual Swords
Dual Swords are now better than ever, with a set of new dodges and attacks that aren't "spin around in stupid circles" when not demonizing. This weapon is all about ridiculous offense. You sacrifice any sort of defense and regular evasion techniques to go balls-to-the-wall with these. Easily the fastest weapon, on top of a large amount of multi-hit combos and a special power called 'demon dance' (or 'demonize') that gives you even crazier (and far more powerful) combos, this weapon is all about finding an in and never giving the monster any peace. Using the demon dance with these puppies in Portable 3rd causes a new spirit gauge to build up, and as long as there is energy stored, all of your un-demonized attacks deal extra damage!

k3sq7.png

Gunlance
A returning celebrity from Unite, Gunlances have been heavily changed. Normal attacks and functions are near identical to lance, with stabs and blocks (no guard advance though), however they are much more offense-oriented than the lance. The aim of the game is to stay in the monster's face and lay on the hurt with your arsenal of combos and gunfire. Most all of the traditional attacks they had (running stabs, guarding stabs, gun fire) are back, including the infamous Wyvern Fire function that bowguns were given in Tri. On top of all of the old attacks, Gunlances are capable of some new tricks. If you attack with a normal lateral 3-hit combo, the third attack will instead be the hunter slamming the entire gunlance down, causing impact and knock-out damage. If you decide to fire your gunlance after this combo, you will spray out the entire load of chambered shots in shotgun-fashion. On top of that, Portable 3rd also allows you to fire the gunlance non stop by giving you a quick-reload after each shot fired.

vAac6.png

Hunting Horn
This beauty has been reworked from the ground up. Hunting Horn is the main 'support' weapon, allowing you to buff your party with various effects depending on what the horn is. Moderately fast attacks allow you to rack up the damage and, with P3rd's changes, allow you to store music notes to play out at any time in the middle of combat to quickly buff yourself and party. Hunting Horns buffs allow you and your party to do many things otherwise not usually possible, such as moving at top speed while wielding it, being able to hit monsters and not bounce off if your sharpness is too low, having roar/earthquake/damage resistance, increased attack, and even more.

2J5xB.png

Bow and Arrows
A returning weapon from the older days, the bow has had some upgrades applied. Arrows can be fired from a fair distance normally, however, now bow users can fire from even longer distances by shooting straight up and having the arrows rain down on the target like that scene from 300. On top of the new attacks, bows have also received a couple of new coatings such as Exhaust coating (causes monster stamina to drain faster) and Razor coating (increases melee damage).

List of Boss Monsters
Bulldrome (Returning from MHFU, unfortunately)
Great Jaggi
Great Froggi (New -aggi species)
Great Baggi
Aoashira (New - bear)
Urukususu (New - rabbit koala ice thing)
Rangrotora (New - red armadillo in the volcano)
Quropecco
Red Quropecco (New - lightning subspecies, can blind you)
Royal Ludroth
Pink Royal Ludroth (New - poison subspecies)
Barroth
Snow Barroth (New - ice subspecies, can snowball you)
Hapuruboka (New - Desert gobul)
Giginox (Possible giginox subspecies, as yet unconfirmed)
Rathian
Gold Rathian (Returning from MHFU)
Rathalos
Silver Rathalos (Returning from MHFU)
Jinouga (New - flagship monster, Thunder Wolf)
Nargacuga (Returning from MHFU)
Green Nargacuga (New - green subspecies)
Barioth
Desert Barioth (New - desert subspecies)
Uragaan
Steel Uragaan (New - 'metal' subspecies?)
Doboruberuku (New - hammer tail brute wyvern, looks like something out of Shadow of the Collossus)
Tigrex (Returning from MHFU)
Black Tigrex (New - dark volcanic subspecies. Has multiple roar attacks)
Diablos
Black Diablos (Returning from MHFU)
Agnaktor
Ice Agnaktor (New - ice subspecies)
Jhen Mohran
Deviljho (now possible to collect it's saliva! Yum!)
Alatreon
-few unlisted for spoiler reasons or whatever-

Trailer:

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
I personally enjoy Minegarde~ as a go to place for MH information. While Gamefaqs is a pretty shitty place, the damage formula FAQ is located there (as well as very few other sites), so I also recommend checking out the various MH profiles on Gamefaqs. For good newbie video tutorials for MHP2nd (MHFU in NA), MHNoodles and admiredfob on YouTube are very skilled players and have a lot of tutorials. As recommended by Taylor here to myself, SocialDissonance has some great tutorials and a nice Let's Play of MHTri on YouTube as well.

Just things to check out.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Also, if you have no patience whatsoever, skip this series. It requires a lot of it.

Can't emphasize this enough. A lot of the arguably more awesome weapons leave you vulnerable when you swing, so you have to be very accurate with your swings or else the monster gets a free hit on you. This means that not only do you have to become familiar with a monster's pattern and weak spots, but you'll have to adjust your fighting style accordingly. This takes a lot of patience, meaning you'll probably die a lot. Farming for better equipment *can* help, but if you suck it doesn't matter.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Probably the most frustrating thing if you don't have patience HAS to be grinding for equipment. Working for 40 minutes to capture your monster, finally getting it, and then... bam. He wasn't carrying the droid you were looking for. Time to do it again.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
this is very enticing i feel i will go out and buy the necessary porducts to play monster hunter now....

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
Ummm what happened to the old MH thread, Is this the new one now?

Whatever, You guys should definatly check out the sales figures for MHP3RD Its now Drago Quest popular... in Japan. Its expected to sell more than 5 million, many stores have lanes of people 3000+!!!

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Please excuse my ignorance, but I never really saw the point of the portable Monster Hunters. :l
I mean as far as I know, none of them feature proper online play, right? Isn't that exactly the key element that makes games like Monster Hunter work so well?

I need to step my hunting game up. Better check these tutorials.

mz. eggsy

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Please excuse my ignorance, but I never really saw the point of the portable Monster Hunters. :l
I mean as far as I know, none of them feature proper online play, right? Isn't that exactly the key element that makes games like Monster Hunter work so well?
(as far as I know) There is a way to play with remote hunters via "Ad-hoc Network" in which you will need custom firmware and a router/dongle or as well as setting it up in some configuration so intricate to me that I have no clue how it works or how it's done.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
This is largely dependent on where you're playing. In USA, online is a much more popular medium of playing with your friends but in Japan, playing face to face with your friends is much more preferred. That's why in Japan the portable versions a much more popular than the console games.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
(as far as I know) There is a way to play with remote hunters via "Ad-hoc Network" in which you will need custom firmware and a router/dongle or as well as setting it up in some configuration so intricate to me that I have no clue how it works or how it's done.
Well, there's always Ad-Hoc Party from PS3 and X-Link Kai. Both function without CFW.

mz. eggsy

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, there's always Ad-Hoc Party from PS3 and X-Link Kai. Both function without CFW.

Yeah X-Link Kai and wired PS3 was what I forgot. Really I'm just repeating what I've read and have no experience in it as I don't own a PSP. :frowny face:

Some of my info I'm getting from SocialDissonance who also podcasts with two other guys about Monster Hunter, and he's mentioned that in Portable 3rd they seemed to have kept on expanding even further on little useful features pointed out in earlier games to make things a lot easier and more convenient. Just three examples:

-Everything in the guild hall is closer in proximity as to cut downtime between quests. If all 4 hunters have everything they need from their farms, its possible to continue questing without having to leave the guild hall.
-There is more space to register specific armor sets, as well as having the ability to name them!
-There is an extra page in the inventory specifically for gather items. This way you can take combo books or materials or bombs or whatever without having to worry about running out of space!

The podcast is here: Monster Hunter Podcast

Back