• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Mom Won't Let Go

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanceWaterDance

Ha-loo-sa-gen-a-shun
With Hannibal Lector, of course. The Good Doctor a
Website
www.myspace.com
What am I supposed to do when I have a mother who refuses to let me go? She said that she has to sign permission for me to live in a dorm for my freshman year in college. (The rules at that college are that you are either married, live at home, or get a dorm for your freshman year).

I honestly think that I'll go completely bonkers if I have to live at home for another year. I don't know what to do. She and I got into a fight tonight over it, and she makes claims that I am 'Calling her a horrid mother'.

Any suggestions?

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
Technically she can't hold you back when you're eighteen. By then, you're a legal adult, and can't be forced to stay home.

But, I can see her problem. She doesn't want to let go of her kids. It's hard for her. Just talk it out with her, and work things out. Just remember, when you turn eighteen, she can't necessarily control you.

DanceWaterDance

Ha-loo-sa-gen-a-shun
With Hannibal Lector, of course. The Good Doctor a
Website
www.myspace.com
The thing is that, as much as my mother drives me insane, I don't want to hurt her feelings. She's OVER protective because, -le sigh- I am paying for my sisters mistakes. My sister moved to Flordia with my Dad when she turned 18.

I also have this fear that if I do move out when I'm 18, she'll end up getting pretty much my entire family to turn against me. (I have a very close family, so when one gets mad, they all do)

And as to sitting down and talking it out with her, I've tried. I tried that tonight. I tried to explain that I just needed to go, and it was something that would be good for both of us. See, lately, she and my brother have been fighting a lot, and when they're not fighting, either he's yelling at me, or she is. (She works a job and goes to college, so I can understand why she's grouchy). It's honestly driving me crazy, and I know that if I have to stay in this enviroment for more than the few months I have to wait until July (My birthday) I will have a mental breakdown. She just doesn't want to listen.

I don't see a simple solution to this that doesn't involve someone getting hurt.

MegaFlare

Goddess
Awards
Are you 18? If you are 18, which I am assuming you are since you are planning on going to the dorms, then by all means, she cannot stop you from going to the dorm. I don't care what you have to do in order to make it happen, it'd be worth it. Is she overprotective enough that she won't let you have a job? (Some parents are that way, and parents like that are usually too overprotected/biased to even listen to you.) If you're allowed to have a job, get a job. Save up money so that you can stay on the dorms. It'll be a lot different, but for the better. Coming from an overprotective family, you'll probably be homesick for the first week, a lot. You'll probably ask yourself if you've made a mistake or if you should really be there. Don't. The time you spend away from overprotective parents is the key to taking a big step up in your life that they couldn't force themselves to give you. That way you'll be getting things done on your own time, you won't have to be questioned nor lectured when you are an adult and you are far capable of taking care of yourself. If you can't afford the dorms, take out a 2nd bank loan (assuming you already have a FAFSA loan).

I believe you when you say you've tried talking. I really dislike when people don't understand why talking doesn't do any good, because for those kind of parents, no, there is nothing you can do about it. No talking will get them to let you do what you need. You have to do everything for yourself and you won't be able to depend on them.

Another thing you should do is take your parents with you to meet the house leader of the dorms, learn all about it. Take a brochure of the college's dorms and show it to your parents, tell them what all it has, ect. Another thing that would really help is if you have any friends going to the same college as you, ROOM with them. On your dorm application, write their names down as preferred roommates. If your parents know you and your friends and if they trust your friends, tell them you'll be with them.

Dredger

I don't really know. By live do you mean where I p
A pain free solution is probably a luxury this situation will not have.

As a proud owner of a psycho mother (though I love the crazy woman) move out. I could not stay in my house, I actually moved out when I was 16. My parents were hurt, but as I grew older we patched things up. I am closer to my parents now than I ever was growing up (though I live half-way across the US).

Growing up and leaving the shelter of your parents house is a natural part of growing up. Most mothers will dislike the idea of their baby leaving home, but it is a necessity in my opinion. Your mother will realize this once the maternal instincts fade.

My advice, try your hardest to leave on good terms. Your about to be an adult do what is neccessary, make your own mistakes and learn from them. Realize your mother is just worried about you, and sounds like she cares for you, respect that and have a MATURE conversation explaining your need to learn and grow outside of your mothers house.

If reasoning with her is not an option, move out and strive to patch up your relationship at a later date. Eventually she will understand, unless of course you end up in jail your second week in college. Then your forever going to listen to how she was right and you were wrong.

NIGHTMAREQUEEN

I know how u feel my moms always pointing out schools near by to home and always pushing my older sisters to visit a lot and claming I don't care about her
1 I stoped caring and did what made me happy and gave me confidence
2 when a fight comes I stay calm and she yells so I'm the better person
Go where u think you'll be most happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back