• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mognet Discussions #1: Would you buy Type-0 on Vita?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Final Fantasy Network

mognet1.png

What is Mognet Discussions?

It would be an understatement to proclaim that Final Fantasy fans are opinionated. One of the biggest gaming fan bases around is also one of the most vocal. We believe the best way to get a feel for how the fan base feels about different topics is to provide them a platform to have their voices heard. Every few weeks we’ll provide a different topic we feel is worth discussing!

This week’s topic:

While the PlayStation Portable remains the most popular gaming device in Japan, its situation in the West is much less pronounced, with dwindling hardware and software sales. Square Enix has commented on this in relation to Final Fantasy Type-0′s localization in English, stating that fans will have to be patient, and that the company might have to resort to different methods in bringing the title overseas. (More on that here).

Some have suggested that an easy solution is a PSN only release, but here is a different proposition: Is Type-0 a perfect fit for the PlayStation Vita?

The talking points:

-The Playstation Vita is likely being delayed to early 2012 for Europe and North America, giving Square Enix just enough time to do a localization as well as a quick port.
-Type-0, particularly its cut scenes, feature high quality graphics that would look stunning on Vita’s high definition screen.
-Anyone who has played the Type-0 demo by now understands that the game would be immediately and substantially improved by the addition of the second analog stick for camera control.
-Launch window titles typically do very well, particularly if they are of high quality, guaranteeing Square Enix at the very least a decent amount of sales and lots of media coverage. By releasing a Final Fantasy title so early in a gaming device’s life cycle, Square Enix is also assured that there is an established base of Final Fantasy fans on a platform from the start until the end of the upcoming generation of hardware (something that hasn’t happened since Final Fantasy X on the PS2).

Have your say:

Take the time to have your voice heard! Do you think Final Fantasy Type-0 is a good fit for the Playstation Vita? If so, would you purchase it if it were a Vita only release? If not, what other alternatives would you prefer?

(Artwork provided by the wonderful Turn).

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Would give me a more substantial reason to buy a Vita, if nothing else.

So far the only other title announced that interests me is the Falcom project.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
i think the camera would benifit from a second analog but i prefer it on the psp just so i can save some cash

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
I've been playing the demo religiously since it's release last night, and I am now assured that it's a must have on PSP. Saying that, I think it would be the perfect launch title on the PSV from Square as well. With the obvious hardware and software advancements coming from this new platform, we could see many changes that would not only make the game easier to play, but more prettier to look at as well.

Now for some gamers like me the camera isn't a problem. I have played all of the PSP Monster Hunter games which use the same D-pad camera function as Type-0. Having played them, I've learned to crabclaw (using your pointer finger to control the D-pad while still keeping your thumb on the analog stick). While I've adapted, this still isn't very comfortable. The inclusion of a second analog stick from the PSV would make gameplay a lot more smooth and comfortable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of Type-0's cutscenes aren't in real time because of space issues. If this is so, the upgraded memory of the PSV could also allow for these scenes to be in their original form.

While I'd be extremely happy with a localized PSP release of Type-0, an updated PSV release of the game would be an even better alternative despite the wait.

riku's_artist7

Bronze Member
Awards
FFT-0 looks really nice from whut ive read and seen (and are about to play). honestly, id just be happy for the game to come overseas to the US. id find the money to buy the PSV but it would be nice if it came out for the PSP tho

i just really want this game..in english ahha

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
If it was the difference between getting it on the PSVita or not getting it at all, then I'd definitely pick the Vita.
My qualm is, it would be the only game I would want for the Vita so far... and that's not enough to justify a $250 purchase.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
After playing the Type-0 since last night, getting a hang of the controls, and soaking up the quality of cutscenes...I can honestly say that a PSV port would make this game look even more beautiful than it already is. But would I buy a PSV just to get my hands on Type-0? No. Not at all. As good a game it is (and its highly addicting) just one game, hell even two or three, isn't enough for a guy in my shoes to buy this $250 thing. I would definitely invest in it and eventually end up getting one but that's further down the road. Do I think Square would be making a good move porting it? Yes. Just another title for those gamers fortunate enough to get their hands on the PSV to buy. But I wouldn't.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Maybe. If it isn't turn-based. At least Final Fantasy XII or Crisis Core action-oriented turn-based combat.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
After spending the night playing the game, exploring the maps and trying out the characters, I can honestly say that I'd both support and purchase the game even if it were Vita exclusive. I wouldn't buy the system just for Type-0, but I already have other games I want to get so that's not really a problem. Putting on the Vita to me feels like it would do a lot of good for the game, especially with the addition of the second analog stick.

However, I'd also be perfectly happy with the dual UMD release for the PSP.

Awards
Although I do plan on buying a Vita, I would prefer to have it on the original PSP. Localization would be a lot faster than localizing it AND porting it to a different system, because if they did that, they would also have to change gameplay mechanics, and I'm sure they'd want to possibly incorporate the touch screen into it, as well as enhance the graphics. I think they should just release it on PSP FIRST, then later on, come out with a special edition for Vita and release it everywhere.

Wheels

As someone who's already preordered and paid off a Vita, of course, I'd certainly like to be able to play Type-0 on it,but as a PSP game. What I mean is, if the game is able to be put on the PSN, it'll be available for both the Vita, and the PSP. And then have physical UMD copies for those who want the physical discs. That way, a compromise is found between the two, and as it's the Vita itself that does the upscaling by what I can tell, if they just add in the option of dual analog sticks(If the Vita doesn't do that itself) thenwe egt the best of both worlds :D

Coeurl

Demon Dance
the PSV would definitely improve the Type-0 experience by a lot, that's for sure. though i'll probably not purchase the handheld anytime soon.

and as for me, putting it on PSN would be an ideal choice cuz both PSP and soon-to-be PSV owners could benefit from it. and if the sales are successful enough in both JP and stateside, then they could just port it to the PSV some time later with fully upgraded mechanics/visuals to fit the handheld's specs.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
So far I don't have a reason to buy a Vita and nor do I have the money so I hope we get it on PSP but if the release a slightly better version on the Vita at the same time then that's just great for those who plan to get one so why not

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'd definitely buy it on the Vita, but the problem is that is the only game that I would want on the Vita at the moment. Maybe Uncharted...So I'd rather a multi-PS release. PSP, PS3 and Vita.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I'm planning to buy a Vita anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. But I agree an extra analog for the camera would be very nice. Graphically I think it's fine as it is, but then again I never really cared for graphics in games.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm going to buy a Vita to play it whether it is released as a dedicated Vita game or not, via the PSN backwards compatibility.

I find playing my PSP to be a deeply unpleasant experience. If type-0 does end up being any good, I'd hate for the experience to be spoiled by the choice of console.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm going to buy a Vita to play it whether it is released as a dedicated Vita game or not, via the PSN backwards compatibility.

I find playing my PSP to be a deeply unpleasant experience. If type-0 does end up being any good, I'd hate for the experience to be spoiled by the choice of console.

Same here, and if it is rumored that PSP games on the Vita will automatically take use of the second analog, that will be a godsend.

Wheels

Apparently the PSP games run on an emulator on the Vita, which is what does the upscaling(You can turn that on and off) so it could maybe automatically map camera controls to the second analog?

Decrith

I'm definitely gonna buy a Vita (already saved enough money since it got the new name). So I'd prefer the game in Vita, especially since my PSP is uhm... 5 yrs old and pretty much dying (it randomly presses square & select). But I don't really care, where it goes, as long as its a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back