• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Minigames Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Minigames have been a staple for many video games over the years - all ranging from the fun time-sinks to the longest dredges of frustration and boredom.

Personally, I sometimes feel that minigames can put me off a game if the video game starts integrating them with the main plot of a video game. Take for example Final Fantasy X, which counts as one of my favourites in the series. Every time I would play the game, I would get put off due to the necessity of Luca's Blitzball sequence. Originally when playing the game, I loathed Blitzball. Today, not as much, but I remember not understanding it at all. The game forcing me to take part in it felt a lot like a kid being forced to take part in a gym class when really, all he wants to do is to go fight people for experience points and phat loot but apparently that's frowned upon.

Likewise, there are other areas that would feel tedious. For example, the one thing I have never found entertaining are fishing minigames. Sitting around waiting for something to happen feels incredibly dull to me, so normally I try to avoid playing fishing minigames, unless I'm aiming for some extra item I gotta have, either for gameplay purposes, or 100% video game satisfaction. Legend of Zelda prominently features fishing, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it, but it's not for me. Fortunately, that's always in the confines of a minigame, and I'm fairly certain the reward usually revolves around the process of extending health. Persona also features fishing, although completely optional, unless you're pursuing max social links, and even then, it's usually just two fish you really need to catch in the game. It just so happens that they're the hardest fish to catch, which probably aggravates me further.

However, much like Final Fantasy X's Blitzball, having a minigame forced on me is something that can cause a significant lack of interest in completing a game's story. Take Dark Chronicle, or Dark Cloud 2 as it is referred to in the US, as an example. The game introduces you to fishing in the second dungeon of the game, but it's necessary at that point of time in the game. There's nothing like halting your progress through the game like waiting for some fish to bite - especially when the fish that bites is the wrong fish entirely, and you have to repeat the process all over again to continue through the game.

That being said, however, it's not always doom and gloom. There are minigames I have found myself enjoying - and while it seems to be a basic answer, I really did enjoy the Triple Triad from Final Fantasy VIII was a simple pleasure for me. I was also extremely fond of the sword fight sequence during the play in Final Fantasy IX.

However, these are all just the views of myself. How about yourselves, KHI?

• What would you consider to be the best minigame in a video game?
  • What would you consider to be the worst minigame in a video game?
  • How likely are you to pursue optional minigames and sidequests in a video game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back