• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mighty No. 9 (or the game that tried)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.jpg

Mighty No. 9 by comcept USA, LLC — Kickstarter

Mighty No. 9 is an all-new Japanese side-scrolling action game that takes the best aspects of the 8- and 16-bit era classics you know and love, and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!
You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through six stages (or more, via stretch goals) you can tackle in any order you choose, using weapons and abilities stolen from your enemies to take down your fellow Mighty Number robots and confront the final evil that threatens the planet!

Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.
Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.
Every aspect of development—art, level design, music, programming, etc.—is being handled by veteran Japanese game creators with extensive experience in the genre, and with Mega Man in particular, all the way up to and including the project’s leader, Keiji Inafune himself! Backers will have unprecedented access to seeing this team at work through blogs, podcasts, videos, concept art—the works!
Mighty No. 9 is being developed for the PC with gamepad support (of course!), and will be made available through Steam and DRM-free digital distribution methods. Other platforms, including home consoles, Mac, and Linux, are a high priority, but only if we can afford them via stretch goals. Should we reach those goals, anyone funding the project will be allowed to choose which version of the game they would like to receive. The estimated release date is spring 2015.

So basically you should all jump off the capcom boat if you haven't already and give these people your money. megaman may be dead, but THE LEGEND IS REBORN

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
Re: Mighty No. 9 (spiritual successor to megaman being made by inafune+ex-capcom staff)

I hope this becomes a big franchise.

Got to love how in only one day it's already over a third of its funding goal.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Re: Mighty No. 9 (spiritual successor to megaman being made by inafune+ex-capcom staff)

peeps gotta have the megaman, man

Silh

Slippery People
Awards

already can't wait for mighty no.9 x

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

capcom probably doesn't even care lol

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

I was gonna say do you think Capcom could even sue?

What a PR nightmare that would diddlying be hahaha.

edit: 390k out of 900k so far and it hasn't even been half a day yet. lmao

State

Awards

I was gonna say do you think Capcom could even sue?

What a PR nightmare that would diddlying be hahaha.

Inafune isn't an idiot and he isn't the only former Capcom/Megaman project dev in there. They know how picky Crapcom is these days. Besides, he's got the support of THOUSANDS of Megaman fans. He doesn't need to pull a finger for those thousands to build an anti-campaign against Crapcom if they decide to intervene negatively on No. 9 Capcom's Management should at least know what risk management is and apply it to a possible action against Comcept and its allies.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Man, Capcom has had it's chance. Should they ever decide to do another MegaMan, I'll give it a shot, but they're freaking idiots for how they've handled a pretty big series. Until then, I'll be playing this.

EDIT: I love how in the time it took me to watch that video, about 2000 bucks were pledged.

State

Awards

Man, Capcom has had it's chance. Should they ever decide to do another MegaMan, I'll give it a shot, but they're freaking idiots for how they've handled a pretty big series. Until then, I'll be playing this.

EDIT: I love how in the time it took me to watch that video, about 2000 bucks were pledged.

And it's only been, like, a day and a half after this project's announcement. 0.o

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

$ 10000 has been pledged in the last 25 minutes. Yeah, this thing is going places.

Gonna pledge some myself later.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past

The fact that Inafune wants to make a Mega Man game without that icky Capcom thing getting in the way is fantastic. The fact that the fans are supposed to fund its creation is not so great. Whatever happened to supporting a game simply by buying a copy when it's released? It's one thing to see this type of thing from Indie devs, but we're talking about a studio founded by friggin' Inafune. I think Kickstarter and IndieGoGo have been highly abused lately.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

I am the creator of mega man. people want more mega man. there's a site where i can get money for free to make another game. i would literally be getting a million dollars within a week. nah I'll pass.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

The fact that Inafune wants to make a Mega Man game without that icky Capcom thing getting in the way is fantastic. The fact that the fans are supposed to fund its creation is not so great. Whatever happened to supporting a game simply by buying a copy when it's released? It's one thing to see this type of thing from Indie devs, but we're talking about a studio founded by friggin' Inafune. I think Kickstarter and IndieGoGo have been highly abused lately.

Why is it a problem for fans to fund a game? I have absolutely no problem with helping a developer I respect and admire get his game off the ground if they need it. Inafune might be a big name but I don't think Comcept is a huge studio with a bunch of money to throw around. Kickstarter also helps show that there is a demand for certain projects that most big companies wouldn't necessarily consider otherwise, and I hope more japanese companies begin to use it. Your analogy in the other thread doesn't really work because I can pledge as little as or as much as I want. I don't have to pay the entire game's price in funding and then pay for it again. Even if I were to do that every game kickstarter i've ever seen gives you a copy if you pledge a certain amount, so it's pretty much as if I had paid for the game anyway. Funding itself aside this was obviously an effort to get megaman fans involved in the development of the game, just like MML3.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

I will buy this game twice.

Fans/interested parties who want to help fund the game to ensure that it at least has the resources to be made well is not a bad thing.

Supermonkey64

Even though I'm not much of a huge fan Megaman, the concept of the game does look interesting. So I like to see how this will go.:smile:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

over 500k as of this writing i'm pretty sure they are going to meet all stretch goals at this point

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

I'm officially a pledger (first time I've done something like this). It managed to raise $ 100000 in a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure this game is a go. :)

Supermonkey64

Hmmm?:confused:

We haven't heard anything from Capcom at this point. If it turns into a legal battle, then obviously it'll be lawyers that hash out what the solutions are. However, from my perspective, Mega Man is something that I created. It would be like having a child, then having somebody adopt that child and then saying that child isn't really yours. That child has your DNA in it, no matter what anybody says. So, since my style, my spirit isn't something that I can't change as a human being, if I create anything and it's something that looks like [Mega Man], well, it was created by the same person, me. To say that Mighty No. 9 looks like Mega Man is to say that my work looks like my work.

But we have been careful. The base gameplay is not the same as Mega Man. The naming, the character, all that is not the same. The details are very different. Personally, I've gone out of my way to make sure that this is something original. And if Capcom does come back and say something, I would be surprised."

From Kotaku: Mega Man Designer Says Capcom Hasn't Reacted to New Mega Man-Like Game

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

To everyone who keeps calling this a Mega Man game.

Is this game affiliated with Capcom or Mega Man in any way?

No.
Mighty No. 9 is a side-scrolling action game inspired by titles like Mega Man, and it’s being made by many developers who’ve worked on Mega Man games in the past, but it’s 100%, top-to-bottom an all-new property that shares no characters, code, fiction, or anything else besides its genre with Mega Man. So while some of us are ex-employees of Capcom, and all of us are big fans of their games, this project has nothing to do with Capcom or Mega Man.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

da-na-na-naa

super fighting robot

da-na-na-NAA

mighty nine

da-na-na-naa

super fighting robot

da-na-na-NAA

mighty nine

miiiiiiightyyyyy

nuuuuuuuuuumber nine-nine-nine-nine-nine-nine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back