• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Men no longer needed to create sperm

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
It looks like males will soon be irrelevant to the survival of the human race.

Scientists at the University of Newcastle have managed to create human sperm cells using a female embryonic stem cell.

The researchers, led by Prof Karim Nayernia, had previously created primitive sperm cells from male bone marrow. They’re currently working on making the cells from female bone marrow, which would be much easier and more practical than creating them from embryos.

The creation means that lesbian couples could soon have children that shared the DNA of both women, rather than having one male biological father. A sperm cell created from one partner could fertilize her partner’s egg.

There is some question about whether a sperm cell created from a female could produce viable, healthy offspring. The human female sperm cells could not in their current state produce offspring as they do not have the correct amount of genetic material. The team must next have the cells undergo meiosis to make sure the cells have the correct amount of genetic material.

That will likely only be a minor roadblock. Prof Nayernia has already overcome this problem with sperm cells created from male cells. In 2006, he used sperm created from embryonic stem cells to impregnate mice. The mice produced 7 pups, although one died and the other six had health problems.

Ok, so it may be overstating it a bit to say that males will be irrelevant. Just because we’re not technically needed to breed doesn’t mean women will no longer find men attractive, right? After all, we’re good for a lot more than just baby making. We’ve got tons to offer! For instance, just the other day I assembled a chair from Ikea, and it only wobbles a tiny bit when you sit on it. Also, I’m frequently asked to kill insects. I think we men have a bright future.
Info from Telegraph

Men No Longer Needed to Create Sperm

Obviously, this isn't super new news, almost a few years old now, but I thought this topic was interesting to bring up once this girl on facebook brought it up a discussion.

Anyway, what are your feelings towards this? Personally, I think it's great for lesbian couples who don't want to have to result to having children from a male's assistance. Also, two lesbian couples could both be biological parents.

Though, I'm wondering if this blows up in the future, how this will put men vs. women subjects into prospective. I'm also wondering, for a species, if this is the correct move to make. I'm not a science freak, but isn't there something genetically skewed about a female being created through the use of X chromosomes only gained through two women opposed to a natural hybrid from a man and a women (at least in humans)? Also, how are boys going to be born? Will men possibly not exist anymore (men carry Y)?

Obviously a couple of those questions may be blown out of proportion, but, yeah, kinda have to think about the potential drawbacks this has on a species, especially since it affects out own if this becomes more than a rare occurring event.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Though the complete opposite can result when this gets popularized (if it will), maybe this is another step in the right direction for gender equality (though the effects won't be seen for a long time, progress comes slowly in the fields of discrimination) in the sense some people who only view the other sex as tools for breeding might stop and think. But again, complete opposite could occur and what I'm saying is far off.

I'm interested now to see further developments in the field and study of interest to formulate a better opinion

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I know some species exist fine this way... Some kind of lizard though (can't remember if there were something else).

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
inb4 feminists rejoice

★;5446723 said:
Though the complete opposite can result when this gets popularized (if it will), maybe this is another step in the right direction for gender equality
Yeah but women already have more rights than men and can get away with more shit virtually scott-free.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
Imagine how this would affect the demand of men in the long run. Could go either in terms of pros and cons "if" this gets so far advanced to the point that we are almost extinct. Though, I guess we have to eventually come to grips with everything. "We aren't good for shit anymore."lol (ok I don't truly believe that, just only partially)

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
I know some species exist fine this way... Some kind of lizard though (can't remember if there were something else).

That species in question is highly vulnerable to genetic mutations and poor DNA since each female is a clone of its mother along with all of her immuno-deficiencies and mutations.

Anywho, this is interesting to say the least. Now to wait and hear that they can create a woman's ovum and virtually eliminate the physical need to populate. [Ha, like peeps would ever give up copulation].

Awards
heh, I'm reminded of that Anime Vandread... Men and Woman living separate from one another.

That won't really happen though.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
That species in question is highly vulnerable to genetic mutations and poor DNA since each female is a clone of its mother along with all of her immuno-deficiencies and mutations.

Anywho, this is interesting to say the least. Now to wait and hear that they can create a woman's ovum and virtually eliminate the physical need to populate. [Ha, like peeps would ever give up copulation].

I see. They aren't really reproducing with any other mate, just themselves... So that would make sense since genetic errors aren't being corrected via various genetic sources. But this would only be a problem in humans if females used their new found "sperm" to have themselves impregnated without a mate... That would be so weird and probably illegal.lol

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
inb4 feminists rejoice

Yeah but women already have more rights than men and can get away with more shit virtually scott-free.

Maybe here or where you live, but I never see women getting stoned for accusations of adultery or having trouble running elections or dealing with body-image issues more frequently produced by our raging hormones and the sexualisation of media. Oh and equal pay and shit.

Gender equality is screwed for both sides, but it might be just me , there's a reason why I see women as unneccesary victims of men which is almost a bad statement in itself since I shouldn't be even mentioning people's gender in such crimes as opposed to good person vs bad person/victim

Blah, whatever

D

Deleted member 36435

because this is more efficient than wacking of a man

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I'll spare you the details, but there are a host of syndromes which can result in an XX male or an XY female.

I also don't think this is going to be viable because genes are selectively expressed dependent on the parent of origin, a phenomenon known as genomic imprinting. Sometimes even entire chromosomes are silenced. And although X-inactivation (silencing one of the two X chromosomes in females) is random in humans, it is always the paternal X chromosome that is inactivated in marsupials.

There's a lot more to making a human than just combining any two haploid cells to get yourself one cell with 46 chromosomes.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
And what does that say about you?

lmao

I don't like this (for reasons you would obviously guess about me) but beyond that I don't think scientists will ever be able to create a perfect mirror image of the sperm cell from female parts that could produce a viable human being without health problems and stuff like that. I guess they're going to try to prove me wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back