• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Media that traumatised you as a kid

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
We all have that one TV episode, or that one movie scene, that just absolutely messed you up as a kid. Or maybe it was a video game? Or maybe, even, your childhood imagination was vivid enough that a book freaked you out? Let’s look back and laugh and/or wince at them!

Let’s talk about TARZAN. The final entry of the Disney Renaissance, and a movie with its fair share of intense moments. The way Clayton died at the end was pretty chilling, huh? And the unseen deaths of Tarzan’s parents near the beginning (I didn’t even notice as a kid that you can literally see their bodies in the treehouse at the beginning!)

...but the contents of the movie itself is not what I’m going to focus on here today.

Little factoid: Tarzan was the first movie I ever personally owned on DVD. I remember what a novelty it was having this strange new, interactive format before me, with not only the movie to watch, but a small but nifty collection of bonus features. Within this set of bonus features was a deleted scene collection...

I learned of a new concept with these scenes; the “storyboard reel”. A rough, early depiction of a scene that uses the original storyboard drawings, complete with scratch voices and stock sound effects. For some reason, little me found this to be oddly unsettling. The old rushed black and white drawings with no actual movement, with phantom sound effects and stand-in, slightly off vocals. The suddeness with which each static image appeared on screen could potentially make me jump out of my skin if the drawing was an especially weird-looking one.

Why am I telling you all this? To make you understand exactly why this alternate opening completely fucked me up...

The scene is already pretty messed up on its own, and it probably would have been so had it been fully animated. But when depicted in this format? It was terrifying. The silent green logo on the black screen, the faded muted colours in the beginning, the complete lack of music besides the music box, the anxiety-inducing sound effects, the continued close-ups of Tarzan’s dad’s eyes, the bits where everything is black apart from the brief moments where everything’s lit by the lightning. And that final shot, where his lifeless hand is dragged away, with the ink (which I misinterpreted as blood) streaking across the floor.

I went through the bonus features a few times during my childhood, but I actively avoided this scene for years. I can’t began to stress how much it frightened me. I watched the other two deleted scenes subsequent times, even the alternate ending, which also had some of those unsettling elements I mentioned above, but this alternate opening was just too much.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Alien(1979), had to sleep with a pillow over my face for a long time.

JP2 when they go into the tall grass, I had recurring nightmares about being chased by invisible raptors in tall grass.

All of courage the cowardly dog.

redcrown

Awards
Return to Oz. Terrified me as a child but was still vaguely fascinated and intrigued by it, which is probably why I absolutely love it now as an adult (thank you D+ for having it).

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Anyone remember the animated movie 9? That one was extremely creepy, not that it was the movie's fault because it's PG-13 (which a lot of parents ignored lol).

The movie was so creepy to me that I was pretty much unfazed by Coraline since they both came out in the same year.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
where do i begin...

- Star Wars Episode IV: Tusken Raider Ambush.
- Star Wars Episode V: Wampa Attack.
- Watership Down: need i say more
- The Brave Little Toaster: Nightmare Clown

Awards
Reading these comments I had a MUCH different childhood. I can remember being afraid of scenes from the 1992 Dracula and Dead Alive. If we wanna get real, the stuff that probably freaked me out the most at the time was walking downstairs and seeing what dad had on the TV in the middle of the day. LOL I'll leave it at that.

D

Deleted member 246005

Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets.

The snake moving through the pipes scared me more than others.

Back