• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

McFaeces: I'm loving it

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
[video=youtube;u1N6QfuIh0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u1N6QfuIh0g[/video]

Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces

Born of noble intentions, and no doubt an interesting angle from which to approach the global food crisis, but would you personally eat it?

In sixth grade, when my school brought us to a water purification factory, we were given bottles of water. Most of us heartily drank the stuff. Then they told us the process of getting water from sewage via reverse osmosis, and how the water is actually cleaner than anything you'd find in nature or from a tap. Logically, there's absolutely nothing wrong with reclaimed water (and I suppose, with the advent of the turd burger, reclaimed food); and though I will quite happily drink reclaimed water, there's still that lingering psychological barrier of voluntarily downing human excrement. I doubt my leniency extends to food.

Discuss. Inane or innovative? What are the biggest drawbacks? Outside of the lab and the fact that we can now politely tell someone to eat shit, what are its biggest strengths?

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I look at it like this.
If the world runs out of food and all I got to eat is recycled shit that otherwise tastes fine, then hey, its (sorta) food right?

Pirates

I dont think starving African children would be too fussed about where it came from, just that it feeds them

I have alternatives so I wont be eating anything like that if I can.

It is a step forward to me. Now just make it practical.

blueheart

Bronze Member
I still wouldn't eat or drink from something made like that. I would honestly not be able to get through that barrier.

I would be mad if someone told me the water I just drank came from the sewer.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have no problem drinking reclaimed water...but idk about this...I mean...if it is proven healthy and safe (rid of all toxins)......I probably still wouldn't eat it. It just makes me nervous considering that was bodily waste doesn't have that many nutrients (considering the body takes what it needs and eliminates the rest) At least pee is still water...

valorform24

I think that instead of this, we should be making Soilent Green.

I do have a bit of a barrier that would be hard to get over to eat that.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Actually?
How?
If i get rich, I will do it.
Perhaps not giving third world countries terminator seeds. Which are only good for one harvest.

About the feces food... I really couldn't eat it. You would have to forgo telling me what it was for me to handle it; the psychological aspect behind it is nauseating. Also, as Ethnic said... feces is everything your body didn't need/had no nutrients. I don't see what good comes from feces, other than the occasional nutrient your body didn't absorb.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I dont think starving African children would be too fussed about where it came from, just that it feeds them

Considering people in Haiti make cookies out of dirt (no, it's not some code; they actually buy dirt from construction sites), I can very much see how this could benefit them. Problem is treating human excrement to neutralize all the bacteria is expensive, and I don't see how the turd burger is even going to match the price:calorie ratio of regular meat, let alone undercut it.

I have no problem drinking reclaimed water...but idk about this...I mean...if it is proven healthy and safe (rid of all toxins)......I probably still wouldn't eat it. It just makes me nervous considering that was bodily waste doesn't have that many nutrients (considering the body takes what it needs and eliminates the rest) At least pee is still water...

I'm not one hundred percent certain, but because the video made repeated reference to the bacteria in the feces as opposed to the fecal matter itself, I'm inclined to believe that the turd burger is essentially just a bacterial protein isolate.

IceBlueWings

もっともっと&#
I...don't know if I should feel embarrassed or laugh about it. I don't know if I can eat it until I have a plate of it in front of me.

Goddard

I don't see why people are complaining over food created from protein that happens to be found in human waste.

Technically we can produce enough food to easily feed the world population several times over given with what resources we have presently available. The major problem behind the debacle of world hunger is that most of the food is either wasted or badly distributed.

Last edited:

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
That's just... ugh.

This makes me glad I live in the 21st century because hopefully we won't lose resources before I die

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I don't see why people are complaining over food created from protein that happens to be found in human waste.

Because typically, consuming human waste gets you into a whole world of nasty. Serious illnesses. Improved sanitation is one of the main contributors to the increased average lifespan in developed countries. I suppose this doctrine is so deeply rooted in our minds that it is difficult to overcome the psychological barrier to voluntarily consuming anything with its origin in any kind of human waste product.

Healthy urine is sterile, but you don't go around drinking other people's piss to quench your thirst.

Dexel

Beyond hope
Guh...kinda inane, but admittably, pretty innovative too. Not exactly what I'd plan for dinner, but hey, those without much of a choice wouldn't complain. Once this starts actually being a cheap option, that is. I'm not paying a lot to literally eat shit, thanks.

Goddard

Because typically, consuming human waste gets you into a whole world of nasty. Serious illnesses. Improved sanitation is one of the main contributors to the increased average lifespan in developed countries. I suppose this doctrine is so deeply rooted in our minds that it is difficult to overcome the psychological barrier to voluntarily consuming anything with its origin in any kind of human waste product.

Ever tried civet coffee? It's a lot worse than extracting protein but a lot of people apparently are fond of it. They're extracting proteins from bacteria in sewage and recreating meat from it. It's a fascinating discovery since they can now thereotically have the ability to create meat from any organic material. I suppose it's hard for someone living in a First World country to "stoop" so low and try it. I'm personally not liking it but if it's a cheaper option than how we get our meat now, you'll see a lot of meat created this way in the near future.

Healthy urine is sterile, but you don't go around drinking other people's piss to quench your thirst.

Urine therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you go.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I'm personally not liking it but if it's a cheaper option than how we get our meat now, you'll see a lot of meat created this way in the near future.

The research costs are phenomenal, so it's going to be much more expensive than normal meat for a long time, and food exclusively from feces is unsustainable in the long run because it lacks adequate nutrition. Beyond carbohydrates, proteins and fats, your body also needs a host of micronutrients which unicellular organisms don't and therefore also don't provide. Artificially enrich the meat, you say? Sure, it'll cover some bases, but there's no way we can artificially enrich a protein isolate with the same micronutrient profile of fresh meat.

Because healthy people go on urine therapy all the time, right? Radiotherapy is effective at nuking tumors, but you don't blast yourself with a heavy hit of ionizing radiation just for shits and giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back