• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► Maze Runner Trilogy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mika

Hi. So I really want to talk about maze runner and fangirl about it with other people so....

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
^ Eh, I guess they were alright.

I liked the book series enough to be pissed off by the shoddy movie adaptation. And I am not looking forward to them butchering The Scorch Trials in a similar fashion. I know that for sure. -_-

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Liked the movie enough to see the sequel a bit. Too bad my parents hate it. They might not even bother seeing the sequel.

Last edited:

Mika

I wish the movie followed the books. I'm always disppointed when they make the movie for the book yet i can't help watching it

Mika

I mean in this case I actually liked the movie for the first one but definitely didn't like the scorch trials

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean in this case I actually liked the movie for the first one but definitely didn't like the scorch trials
Yeah, the first one is good, but I just didn't like Scorch Trial's trailer. Didn't grab me enough to go watch it. Eh, but I will give it a try sometime.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
My brother and I went on rants together on what we hated about the movie once...

The two issues that came up immediately were how the Grievers and Theresa were handled. The Grievers, if you remember how they were described in the book, were these big, slimy monstrosities conjoined with machine... they looked like slugs with patches of hair on their bodies, and they had mechanical limbs sticking out of their backs. Said limbs had nasty bits like pincers, buzzsaws, and the like attached. They could curl into balls, spikes would protrude from their bodes, and they could become a whirling ball of death.

Reading the books, they sounded grotesque, misshapen, and terrifying. What the movies gave us instead... was some generic CGI beast with spider limbs and sharp teeth. Are you kidding me.

Aaand then there's Theresa. In the books, she had a pretty big role. Aside from being the harbinger of the end times, she also had this telepathic link to the main character, Thomas, and there was quite a bit of interaction between the two. She was a major player. In the movie, not only is the telepathy gone, but Theresa's just... there. She doesn't DO anything! She's just this random token female who could easily be killed or replaced by a random guy, and it would have no impact on the story whatsoever. What's worse is that quite a bit of the conflict in The Scorch Trials is built around the relationship between Theresa and Thomas (mostly straining it with apparent betrayal and breaking off the telepathy), but since the movies don't have that relationship in the first place, it's going to end up looking phoned-in and weird that Thomas is worried about this chick disappearing.

By itself, the movie was alright, I guess. It's not horrible. But compared to the book, it hardly does its source material justice. The stuff that made the book stand out to me- the suspense, the uneasiness, the mystery- weren't captured very well in the movie, and as a result, the movie ended up looking like a generic YA adaptation. Because it was.

God help us with the next installments. At least the Grievers, even if they were kind of butchered, were novel in concept... now we've got Cranks, which are basically zombies. Sigh...

Mika

Yea I was not happy when i saw that they nade the cranks zombies and they changed so much in the scorch trials

Mika

The gladers are put in a house not some huge facility with a bunch of other subjects from other mazes. Teresa is put in a seperate room from the boys and gets replaced with aris. The gladers then learn from aris that there is a group B with girls. They ate stuck in the house for days without food and as they reach the point where they starve to death they meet rat man and sometime before that come across dead bodies who turn out to be illusions. Then they are told there is a phase two and have to go across the scorch and so go through a tunnel with someone gwtting their head chopped off etc, etc . I could go on but obviously the movie makers took out alot and decided to make their own changes to it. I would have loved the movies if it wasn't based on a book but I just don't appreciate so many changes in the movie. To me that kinda defeats the purpose of making a movie based on a book in the first place.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Ugh, they actually made the Cranks generic zombies? Did they keep the nose scene? If they didn't, my brother's gonna be furious. >_>

Mika

No they didn't keep the nose scene. They really changed a lot especially the ending and basically put stuff in that wasn't in the book.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
*cringes* Oh my god. They ruined it... that was the best scene from that book! Now I'm hoping that the movie bombs... it does not deserve success after a travesty like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back