• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Math HELP

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sealightbreeze

Bronze Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I need help with my sisters math homework. Please help

Two numbers have a sum of 22. Their difference is 4. What are the two numbers?

sealightbreeze

Bronze Member
Thanks you. I was always very bad at math. Hey CursedRebellion, lay off ok? between 3 kids (ages 6, 9, and 11) I have a lot to do. I was never good at math. That's why I asked for help.

Savior of Dawn

Leader of the Dai Gurren Brigade
Guess and check could work.. But from the looks of it, it's a system of equations.

X+Y=22
X-Y=4

Convert to Slope-intercept
Y=-X+22
Y=X-4

Lines are Consistent and Independant (Meaning one solution)

Graph (Using two points, the Y intercepts (0,22) (0,-4) or Using a graphing calculator.

The point they cross, or the solution is (13,9) or 13 and 9.

But you won't reach that level until you're 15 or so. So, for now, guess and check.

Savior of Dawn

Leader of the Dai Gurren Brigade
Katattack said:
Whoa. That's way helpful. That beats the pants off guess and check.

I knew there must be a more logical way of doing it. Thanks, SoD. Even though you weren't meaning to help me. xD

Actually, that's the most basic way to solve the system of equation. I could delve in deeper using matrices and crap like that.. But there's no need to do that when you can solve it simply using a graph.

I would've posted a screenshot of the graph that I pulled up on an online graphing calculator, but I didn't think it would be worth it since it was obviously meant as a lower level problem. Still, I love systems of equations. The only part I hate about them is substitution, substitution is evil. I'll do anything but substitution. Cramer's rule is my favorite (Using matrices).

But, I'm blabbing on about it, so I'll just leave it be. : P

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You already asked this question in Intel, and that thread was closed, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back