• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Master Xehanort, Xigbar and Saix: Past or Present?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Out of all the complex time travel plot details in KH3D, there's only one I can't seem to wrap my head around: whether Master Xehanort, Xigbar and Saix came from the past or the present.

Every KH Wiki article on the matter says that MX, Xigbar and Saix simply retreated somewhere else while the rest returned to their time periods. Now, I wouldn't have such a hard time believing that was the case if it weren't for this one key detail: the way they phased out of the room was identical to all the other Xehanorts from the past, Young Xehanort in particular, who we know returned to his time period. The main reason for this doubt is the fact that MX himself said, "We are out of time. Neither the union of light nor darkness has been achieved, and we must all return whence we came." See how he referred to himself and his 12 selves this way. That doesn't sound like he said "My past selves must return to their proper places in time while the rest of us just skedaddle" to me.

I suppose the secret ending to the Re:coded HD cutscenes should have clarified the issue once and for all: Braig and Isa were restored to human form, then left with YX to fight Sora and co. But for me, it also raises this question: isn't it possible for their past selves (Xigbar and Saix) to show up in KH3D while their present selves (Braig and Isa) are out running around somewhere else offscreen? Perhaps YX sent their minds back in time to their Nobodies' bodies, just like Sora and Riku did in this game; I don't see any other reason for YX to be there otherwise.

Another line that probably should've tipped me off that these are their present selves was MX's line, "My twelve selves would welcome me here on this day, when I would return a complete person." But there's been quite a bit of debate over how MX would appear in KH3 in light of his Japanese and English VAs' passing. I have this theory that the MX we see wasn't confirming himself to be his restored form, but rather his past self trying to throw the heroes off from finding his true restored form: Terra-Xehanort. It'd be bad for him if they had enough Keyblade wielders to screw up whatever would happen after the X-blade was made, hence why he's targeting the Princesses of Heart.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember what the Ultimania had to say on this matter. Is that where people got the confirmation that MX, Xigbar and Saix are from the present, leaving me to wrack my brain overanalyzing what should be a cut-and-dry solution? Or am I seeing something others aren't? If I can get a solid, definitive answer, then whether I'm right or wrong, I will be eternally grateful.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
I think you're looking too far into it and confusing yourself, the recoded scene IS what confirms that they are from the present, otherwise Xigbar would have been standing over Braig in that room and they wouldn't have done whatever they did with Isa while he was still unconscious.

Awards
I think you're looking too far into it and confusing yourself, the recoded scene IS what confirms that they are from the present, otherwise Xigbar would have been standing over Braig in that room and they wouldn't have done whatever they did with Isa while he was still unconscious.

I still think some manner of time travel is involved, though, given Young Xehanort's involvement. In fact, I thought of that "Present-Braig and Present-Isa in Past-Xigbar and Past-Saix's bodies" theory while posting this. After all, how could Braig go from his "slightly Xehanort" appearance in Re:coded to Xigbar's "half Xehanort" appearance in KH3D so quickly, assuming it took years to get that far in the first place? It was the only way I could reconcile the discrepancies I kept seeing, it explains where Braig and Isa went, and it matches up with what we know from KH3D.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
I still think some manner of time travel is involved, though, given Young Xehanort's involvement. In fact, I thought of that "Present-Braig and Present-Isa in Past-Xigbar and Past-Saix's bodies" theory while posting this. After all, how could Braig go from his "slightly Xehanort" appearance in Re:coded to Xigbar's "half Xehanort" appearance in KH3D so quickly, assuming it took years to get that far in the first place? It was the only way I could reconcile the discrepancies I kept seeing, it explains where Braig and Isa went, and it matches up with what we know from KH3D.

I was about to say that the only difference between them is their clothes but you're right, Xigbars hair appears to have grown very swiftly. I see what you mean now, the only possible explanation for this is Realm of Sleep trickery, like when the old version of Riku turns up in Monstro, perhaps the organisation were never actually there in that moment at the end of DDD, now that I think about it I'm pretty certain this is the only route that they can/will take as we go into KH3. I expect there will be some sort of clarification/more questions raised when we see the respective secret endings in 2.8.

Last edited:
Awards
I was about to say that the only difference between them is their clothes but you're right, Xigbars hair appears to have grown very swiftly. I see what you mean now, the only possible explanation for this is Realm of Sleep trickery, like when the old version of Riku turns up in Monstro, perhaps the organisation were never actually there in that moment at the end of DDD, now that I think about it I'm pretty certain this is the only route that they can/will take as we go into KH3. I expect there will be some sort of clarification/more questions raised when we see the respective secret endings in 2.8.

I don't think that's the case, because Riku exited the Realm of Sleep after fighting Ansem, but noticed he was still in his Dream Eater getup in the waking world because Sora still needed him ("I know I'm back in the real world, but I still have my Dream Eater powers. Which means...he still hasn't woken up.")

I suppose the only other explanation could be that Braig is now supposed to look like he does in KH2, but the developers simply didn't come up with the proper model in Re:coded, where he looks like he did in BBS. For example, the flashbacks in BBS are supposed to take place about 4 years before the game begins (the time when Sora was just a newborn), yet Terra, Aqua, and especially Ven don't look a day younger than they do in the present.

Whatever the case, I finally have no (or at least less) trouble believing Braig and Isa are from the present. And yes, I am expecting answers to come in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back