• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► Master Odin’s eye

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
It would appear someone has managed to pop open Master Odin’s hood in DR’s sprite files. Rather handsome old chap I’d say:

It was already heavily implied, but this pretty much confirms that Odin indeed has a missing eye, staying true to his Norse namesake All-Father, One-Eyed god. For those unaware, I’ll quote Neil Gaiman’s description of the Norse god Odin (via his re-telling of the Prose/Poetic Edda): “Odin knows many secrets. He gave an eye for wisdom. […] He travels from place to place in disguise, to see the world as people see it. When he walks among us, he does so as a tall man, wearing a cloak and hat.”

I’m far from an authority on Norse mythology, but at this point it’s undeniable that its influence on Nomura’s writing for KH goes beyond superficial character name inspiration (which we could already deduce, e.g. Ragnarok = Keyblade War, etc).

Maybe at some point I’ll make a proper thread with more thoughts on the Norse influence pervading KH (as it does FF7), but for now this missing eye revelation reaaaaally makes me wonder whether the eye in the No Name Keyblade isn’t, in fact, actually Master Odin’s, and the Master of Masters—in the spirit of Loki—has been playing us all like fools. After all, the MoM plays the part of the charismatic, cunning trickster Loki much more convincingly than that of the wise, stern all-father Odin, only the latter of whom is known to have a missing eye. And it would be very much in-character for Loki (and the MoM, for that matter) to convince others the eye is his when, well, it’s not. Who knows what the motivation could be; but Odin and Loki are blood brothers and rivals. Should Loki indeed be the inspiration for MoM (which appears to be increasingly likely, in my opinion), it would also beg many other questions (like, who is Thor’s counterpart??).

For what it’s worth, in Norse myth Odin gives up his eye to his uncle Mimir, the wise giant, who is known as the guardian of memory and who keeps a well with waters which contain knowledge of the future (and the past). Odin‘s eye is placed in those waters. Seems to me quite likely to be the inspiration for the No Name eye which can see the future.

Yet to be seen how closely the new character relationships will follow their Norse archetypes, but certainly makes for some fun speculation. Odin’s missing eye is gonna be a big deal, mark my words.

Last edited:

the red monster

Awards
For some reason the hat really reminds me of sigurd's hat. even though they don't really look alike.
also why there's a sprite for him without hat? maybe it will be used at the ending.

yozora, master of masters and now this. there has to be some sort of connection here. i think one of yozora's eyes either a fake or got replaced. maybe master of masters took one of odin's eyes and gave it to yozora?

LoneFox

Awards
Should Loki indeed be the inspiration for MoM (which appears to be increasingly likely, in my opinion)
This doesn't make sense to me. The MoM is equivalent to God in the biblical stuff, and the Vorlons in the Babylon 5 stuff. So, why would he be associated with "the bad guy" in this Norse mythology thing? Luxu would be more appropriate for that.

also why there's a sprite for him without hat?
My understanding is that the sprite is composed from different parts just like the Player avatar of UX is, so we get the hatless version simply by leaving out the hat. I could verify this if I had the decryption key for the game's data files... (I know in theory how to extract it from the game, but I don't know how to build the setup to do it in practice, because Android as a platform is both unfamiliar to me and really user-hostile.)

i think one of yozora's eyes either a fake or got replaced.
Yozora is known to be a composite being, the Nameless Star said that his heart has been replaced by another, so the different colors of his eyes reflect that. But note that there seems to be a theme of missing and/or strange eyes: The MoM, Luxu, Odin, Yozora, and also the eyeless Invi found in ReMind data.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
This doesn't make sense to me. The MoM is equivalent to God in the biblical stuff, and the Vorlons in the Babylon 5 stuff. So, why would he be associated with "the bad guy" in this Norse mythology thing? Luxu would be more appropriate for that.
I should have said an inspiration, not the inspiration. MoM is clearly an amalgamation of multiple archetypes.

It’s important to keep in mind that Loki has only been interpreted as explicitly evil in contemporary pop culture because he’s often been filtered through a Christian lens and conflated with the devil. I am not saying the MoM is a stand-in for the devil, despite his “fallen angel” nature (which may betray another line of inspiration). Loki was traditionally both loved and hated, because he was considered more as a trickster, a scoundrel. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster. Oftentimes their dubious actions yield positive results, but their motivations are profoundly unclear. If anything, my argument puts MoM more in the league with the Greek god Hermes than the Christian Devil, though I don’t think that’s where his character is drawing reference.

I’m not sure I understand how you’re seeing MoM as a Biblical God figure. Some have argued (e.g. https://www.khinsider.com/forums/index.php?threads/master-of-masters-the-demiurge.226535/) that he has some characteristics of the Gnostic Demiurge, the sort of “false” or “proud” creator-god—and I can see that aspect of the MoM’s composite whole—but that is quite different from the Biblical variety.

To reiterate my point with this context, I find it very curious that the all-seeing eye myth is actually finding its way into the story not via the MoM as initially anticipated but via an Odin stand-in himself. We can now make a more informed guess as to where the No Name’s all-seeing eye is likely drawing its inspiration (see: Odin’s eye in Mimir’s well). The MoM has never played the traditional “Odin” part, but so much about his personality does jive with Odin’s blood brother Loki. I don’t think Nomura will try to recreate these dynamics with great accuracy or anything, but this would be far from the first time he’s looked to myth explicitly as a template.

eyeless Invi found in ReMind data.
This is most intriguing. Would you happen to have a link for this?

yozora, master of masters and now this. there has to be some sort of connection here. i think one of yozora's eyes either a fake or got replaced. maybe master of masters took one of odin's eyes and gave it to yozora?
Yes, I’d almost forgotten about Yozora’s eyes. You might be onto something.

Last edited:

LoneFox

Awards
This is most intriguing. Would you happen to have a link for this?
I tried to find it but wasn't able to. I think it was posted very soon after release of ReMind, and the spoiler tag policy of that time period makes it very hard to find anything. In any case, someone found models(?) of the four remaining foretellers without their masks in the data files, and the other three looked normal but Invi had empty eyes.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I tried to find it but wasn't able to. I think it was posted very soon after release of ReMind, and the spoiler tag policy of that time period makes it very hard to find anything. In any case, someone found models(?) of the four remaining foretellers without their masks in the data files, and the other three looked normal but Invi had empty eyes.
I think I found it:
It's interesting but I'm inclined to think they just never bothered to finish her face model. But I certainly am curious to see whether any of these actually turn out to resemble their final designs.

the red monster

Awards
I think it's just place holder/didn't bother to finish their face since there's no use for it right now.
it's like what game freak did with gardevoir's model
gard.jpg

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
There has been some confusion around this, but no it doesn’t appear to be fanmade:

As I understand it, all they’re saying is that there is no specific, individual sprite of Odin without a hat on in the files—in other words, we shouldn’t expect him to appear in this form in the future based on the existing sprite files. The sprite as it exists in the game’s files is, however, composed of layered assets, and all the user did was delete the hat layer. So you are correct that this is not strictly “official,” but Odin’s face really does exist underneath the hat asset.

Of course, they could be lying, but I have found Roboloid to be pretty consistently reliable. It would be good to have someone verify this, because I'll admit it's not very clear.

Last edited:

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Bumping this (almost a year on the dot) because I really think we’re gonna get some Odin’s eye/No Name eye lore come this Friday

Back