• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mass Shooting At Community College In Oregon

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So unfortunately there was another mass shooting at a college campus. This time in Oregon

Mass Shooting At Umpqua Community College In Oregon, 10 Reported Dead

Ten people were killed and seven were wounded Thursday in a shooting at a small community college in Roseburg, Oregon

The shooter was identified as Chris Harper Mercer, 26, according to The New York Times and other news outlets, citing unidentified sources. CNN said authorities found three handguns and an assault weapon. An official told CNN he appeared ready to put up a fight, with body armor and stash of ammunition

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Prayers for the students there. I'm hoping for one day to go school but to being aware of these type of things is really scary. It could happen any where.

Pandymint

Awards
Seeing them mention assault weapons irks me.

You know I get why people go on a crusade for gun control and demonize assault weapons for general purchase but they aren't even sold as assault weapons. The typical AK or AR15 you see isn't an automatic weapon, it's illegal. I can't speak for the AKs, but AR15s and their derivatives are usually chambered in the .22 or 223 calibers so they're not high-powered rifles. Just rifles with a large magazine that are semi-automatic.

And I've seen people already going on about how they need to ban guns and whatnot and I just wish people could understand that banning guns won't solve anything. They blame almost anything but the people. And when it comes to the people, there always has to be some reason. A violent video game, or music, or movie. His parents didn't love him, he was mentally unstable, what-the-fuck-ever. They don't ever consider that maybe there was no reason (not saying there was no reason behind this occurence, I'm just speaking generally) and its just a case of 'they did it cause they wanted to, that's it.'

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this as its not my intention, I swear, I just get tired of hearing about shootings because it's always the same thing of them wanting to place the blame on whatever they can.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
And I've seen people already going on about how they need to ban guns and whatnot and I just wish people could understand that banning guns won't solve anything. They blame almost anything but the people. And when it comes to the people, there always has to be some reason. A violent video game, or music, or movie. His parents didn't love him, he was mentally unstable, what-the-diddly-ever. They don't ever consider that maybe there was no reason (not saying there was no reason behind this occurence, I'm just speaking generally) and its just a case of 'they did it cause they wanted to, that's it.'

Well yeah, there's always some​ explanation.

Pandymint

Awards
Usually, but in some cases there wasn't one. For example the Columbine Shooting back in 1999 where Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went on a spree at their high school. If you talk to most people they're going to say it was the music, or the movies, they were troubled, or their parents didn't snoop enough, or that they were satanic worshippers, or they were a part of some cult. So many reasons have been given but having done my own research of reading many articles and even a book on the subject, as far as I can work out there wasn't really any particular reason for why they did it. They were hardly unpopular, the music didn't influence them, admittedly they were fans of the movie Natural Born Killer but it wasn't the reason they did it. Eric showed signs of being a psychopath and no one really did anything because they had no reason to suspect him of anything. Dylan just followed his lead.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Even actions done on random whim still come from some form of inspiration, whether it'd be Grand Theft Auto or Picasso. Sure, there is the issue of scapegoating and ulterior agendas, and history is definitely filled with examples of actions and feats that are outrageous and nonsensical, but none that'd be so much as to appear out of thin air.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
America could seriously use stricter gun control. Canada has gun control but still allows Canadians to purchase and own firearms and obviously we still have gun related violence but it is never as frequent as it is in America.

This is so horrible. :C

Emperor

Usually, but in some cases there wasn't one. For example the Columbine Shooting back in 1999 where Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went on a spree at their high school. If you talk to most people they're going to say it was the music, or the movies, they were troubled, or their parents didn't snoop enough, or that they were satanic worshippers, or they were a part of some cult. So many reasons have been given but having done my own research of reading many articles and even a book on the subject, as far as I can work out there wasn't really any particular reason for why they did it. They were hardly unpopular, the music didn't influence them, admittedly they were fans of the movie Natural Born Killer but it wasn't the reason they did it. Eric showed signs of being a psychopath and no one really did anything because they had no reason to suspect him of anything. Dylan just followed his lead.

It was my understanding that the Columbine Shooting happened because the two students were constantly being bullied. The main reason for a school shooting, or any student-on-student violence like it, comes from some form of bullying. People who say it comes from violent music or video games are either liberals, or old people with no general knowledge as to what actually goes on in these school's - which I guess is the same thing as a liberal.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
It was my understanding that the Columbine Shooting happened because the two students were constantly being bullied. The main reason for a school shooting, or any student-on-student violence like it, comes from some form of bullying. People who say it comes from violent music or video games are either liberals, or old people with no general knowledge as to what actually goes on in these school's - which I guess is the same thing as a liberal.

Liberals are all old people? What backwards ass dimension are you from again?! Conservatives would be the completely misinformed ones if history has taught us anything.

This shooting is so tragic, it especially saddens me that the shooter asked around for the religions of those he killed before he pulled the trigger :( That part was just brutal

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
The president said it best. "This has become routine." My thoughts go out to the families.

noxy

The guy's name is Chris Mintz, not Harper Whatever. Just wanted to clarify that with you.

With the church shooting, it was nothing but pure racism and the desire for anonymity. He wasn't mentally unstable. Neither was the shooter in Oregon.

It’s not about mental illness: The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males - Salon.com

I absolutely love everything in this article, although to dismiss outright that absolutely none of the shooters had mental illness isn't fair, I don't think.

Just because there aren't records or files anywhere of a child having a mental illness doesn't mean they don't have them. I struggled with depression and anxiety as a kid and it got much much worse in high school (bullying). My nickname at the Christian school I went to my freshman & sophomore years of high school was largely "Columbine". I was a freshman when it happened and being stuck with that title really did a number on me, along with all those years in elementary school being made fun of for literally everything.

The teachers never did anything to stop it and I was too ashamed to tell anyone. We had mandatory pep rallies after school on Fridays down on the football field. One afternoon, as we were all going back up to get our stuff and go home, 2 of my classmates clothes-lined me and nearly dislocated my shoulder. Again, nothing. The last day of my sophomore year, I got home and cried for so many hours to my sister begging her to let me go to a different school. She did, of course, and I switched to public school- which turned out to be the decision I should've made as a freshman. But, the damage had been done. I didn't care anymore. My pot intake increased (something I started at age 12 'cuz my brother is a douche), I started drinking, literally never did my homework, cut classes, went in stoned... The bullying mixed with the fact that I was behind 4 credits kinda screwed me. I finally just gave up and dropped out.

I'm over it now, but it still really makes me sad. I have a HS diploma now (a real one, not a GED. With a 3.62 GPA), but as a kid I'd always been excited to go to college like my sister and be an AOII like her and have that whole experience and I didn't get it.

It was after I started public school and became more withdrawn that she started making me go to therapy and be on medication. I never said anything. So yeah. Just because a kid hasn't been diagnosed doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

My understanding of Columbine was that they were bullied as well, but not to like any extreme degrees.
I've found this article on the subject from 2004:

At last we know why the Columbine killers did it.

Anywho. I'm very very very glad that the name of the shooter nor his picture have been released. It makes me beyond happy. I don't think these people should -ever- be given a name or a picture. They don't deserve it. I don't want to know about that man. I want to know about Chris and the victims. And I think that if the media continues with this trend, maybe, just -maybe-, these mass shootings could decrease a bit.

This man shot those people purely for the notoriety. He said it himself. I saw on Facebook that he was screaming "GIMME DEM DANK MEMES!" as he was opening fire on those people (this kind of made me chuckle, I couldn't help it) and that police think 4Chan had something to do with it. A friend further confirmed that they might not be entirely wrong. I'll post the screenshot he sent me in a little bit.

Pandymint

Awards
My understanding of Columbine was that they were bullied as well, but not to like any extreme degrees.
I've found this article on the subject from 2004:

At last we know why the Columbine killers did it.

Anywho. I'm very very very glad that the name of the shooter nor his picture have been released. It makes me beyond happy. I don't think these people should -ever- be given a name or a picture. They don't deserve it. I don't want to know about that man. I want to know about Chris and the victims. And I think that if the media continues with this trend, maybe, just -maybe-, these mass shootings could decrease a bit.

This man shot those people purely for the notoriety. He said it himself. I saw on Facebook that he was screaming "GIMME DEM DANK MEMES!" as he was opening fire on those people (this kind of made me chuckle, I couldn't help it) and that police think 4Chan had something to do with it. A friend further confirmed that they might not be entirely wrong. I'll post the screenshot he sent me in a little bit.

I appreciate you linking that article. It's written by the same man who authored a book I have on the subject (Columbine by Dave Cullen) where he details the events of the shooting, the aftermath, and what led up to it. He also touched on Harris being a psychopath, and that he had clear signs much prior to the event but no one took it very seriously because he was a very charismatic, smooth talker.

Also, I agree with you about them not releasing the name or picture. A good number of the shooters out there do it knowing that they will become famous, albeit in a twisted way. Focus on someone who tried to stop it instead of who did it, you know? It's a serious shame.

America could seriously use stricter gun control. Canada has gun control but still allows Canadians to purchase and own firearms and obviously we still have gun related violence but it is never as frequent as it is in America.

This is so horrible. :C

Yeah, I agree with some stricter control for sure. But I don't like people arguing that they should be banned outright. A lot of people don't seem to realize that if someone wants a gun bad enough, they will get it. Gun violence will still happen.

Actually, a while back I sent a letter to the White House proposing an idea for gun control where if you wanted to buy a gun you'd be required to take a firearm safety and training course to prevent preventable accidents, including differing classes of permits/licenses for handgun, rifle, shotgun, carbine, etc etc. And possibly doing a psychiatric evaluation on the person as well since a background check by no means weeds out the bad eggs.

noxy

The shooter was identified as Chris Harper Mercer, 26, according to The New York Times and other news outlets, citing unidentified sources. CNN said authorities found three handguns and an assault weapon. An official told CNN he appeared ready to put up a fight, with body armor and stash of ammunition

I apologize for correcting you in my earlier post. I misread shooter for some reason. lol They're both named Chris though so.

rob: Go to college son. Don't let these things deter you from following your dreams. You could be killed by practically anything at any given time. Choosing to not go to school just because of a shooting way on the other side of the country is a little paranoid.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
people should stop fucking talking about it. we're encouraging it. it has nothing to do with mental illness, it's terrorism. nobody gave osama bin laden therapy, they shot him dead. i don't give a shit about mental illness, is the example we're setting that i, a white, straight male, could make a bunch of depressed facebook status posts, kill a bunch of people and become a victim in the eyes of the courts and media? this country is fucking incredible, the more you feed the fire the hotter it burns.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I apologize for correcting you in my earlier post. I misread shooter for some reason. lol They're both named Chris though so.

rob: Go to college son. Don't let these things deter you from following your dreams. You could be killed by practically anything at any given time. Choosing to not go to school just because of a shooting way on the other side of the country is a little paranoid

Actually lol, the only thing that paranoids me from School is the insane amount of money I'm going to end up paying and I just hope my time isn't wasted because I really don't want to be held back and I know that feeling :(.....and flying.

noxy

people should stop diddlying talking about it. we're encouraging it. it has nothing to do with mental illness, it's terrorism. nobody gave osama bin laden therapy, they shot him dead. i don't give a shit about mental illness, is the example we're setting that i, a white, straight male, could make a bunch of depressed facebook status posts, kill a bunch of people and become a victim in the eyes of the courts and media? this country is diddlying incredible, the more you feed the fire the hotter it burns.

Oh it most definitely needs to be talked about and something needs to be done. You are right in the fact that these acts -are- terroristic though. People have been attempting to attribute mental illness to these men for ages. It's nothing new. But -now-, people are waking up to the fact that mental illness had nothing to do with it. The media certainly hasn't victimized the shooter. That's why I linked the articles about mental illness and mass shootings.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Oh it most definitely needs to be talked about and something needs to be done. You are right in the fact that these acts -are- terroristic though. People have been attempting to attribute mental illness to these men for ages. It's nothing new. But -now-, people are waking up to the fact that mental illness had nothing to do with it. The media certainly hasn't victimized the shooter. That's why I linked the articles about mental illness and mass shootings.
either take guns from everyone or give them to everyone indiscriminately. if you take guns, shooting deaths will drop but people will riot. if you give them to everyone, anything could happen although robberies would probably drop because, who's gonna rob the dude with a gun? it's a double edged sword, not to mention things are much more complicated yet equally simple, this country is fucked. it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and if anyone thinks a restructuring isn't necessary they're lying to themselves.

Pandymint

Awards
either take guns from everyone or give them to everyone indiscriminately. if you take guns, shooting deaths will drop but people will riot. if you give them to everyone, anything could happen although robberies would probably drop because, who's gonna rob the dude with a gun? it's a double edged sword, not to mention things are much more complicated yet equally simple, this country is diddlyed. it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and if anyone thinks a restructuring isn't necessary they're lying to themselves.

Ironically, there's a town in Utah (can't remember the name anymore) where every citizen is required to own one firearm, with proper ammunition, and be able to handle it safely. Their crime is pretty low.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
It was my understanding that the Columbine Shooting happened because the two students were constantly being bullied.
i think it was stated that they had some type of god complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back