• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► Marvel's Luke Cage

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Jazz

You ain't got no YEEZY!?!
AoS, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones each have their own thread, so Luke Cage deserves his own as well.

Luke_Cage_Netflix.png

Finished the last episode this morning. Goddamn, this show is great. Everything, from the performances, to the music, to the realistic look and feel of Harlem. Damn, they nailed it.

Mike Colter as Luke was a perfect casting. This man gave the performance of a lifetime. So were Alfe Woodard as Mariah Dillard and Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth. I was super disappointed that they killed Cottonmouth off because he would've been a great villain to work alongside Kingpin in The Defenders, but I understand why they did it, in order to develop Mariah into her "Black Mariah" persona.

And that MUSIC. GODDAMN, THAT MUSIC. Every song and every score fit each scene perfectly. Also, being a black man myself, it was so amazing to see this show be so black and damn proud of it, and not afraid to be proud of it. They took every opportunity in each episode to bring awareness to the social and racial issues that plague both black and Latino communities that take place not only in Harlem, but all over the U.S.

If I have to give some criticism to this show, it would solely be on Diamondback. The built him up to be a villain that might even give Kingpin a run for his money yet he turned out just to be another generic Marvel villain out for revenge against the main character. That's why I wish they hadn't killed off Cottonmouth and saved him for next season and The Defenders instead of Diamondback.

Other than that, this show was damn great and all of you need to take the time to binge it.

I love all the Marvel/Netflix shows, but if I had too, Luke Cage would probably be neck and neck with season 2 of Daredevil.

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm definitely gonna give this show some love once The Defenders releases. Hey, maybe I would even try the first episode after I finish Jessica Jones.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I just started this and I'm two episodes in. It's pretty damn good. I will definitely keep watching. Poor Pops

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Finished the show this morning, it was fantastic. I don't think it is quite as good as Jessica Jones, but it was still great. I thought this show had the weakest villains of Marvel's Netflix shows though.

Fun Fact: Each episode title is the name of a song by music artist Gang Starr.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Just a question, does LC take place before or after Jessica Jones?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Just a question, does LC take place before or after Jessica Jones?
After. Luke Cage goes to Harlem because his bar and home he had with Reva are destroyed in Jessica Jones.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

This was actually a really good read, and provided plenty of examples as to why diversity is more important than just for diversity's sake. The whole show really put out a well realized concept of African American culture. I'm happy they didn't take the route of censorship on the topic, but rather tackled it head on. Disney as a whole has been really on top of tackling diversity issues through their media recently. It's nice to see, and honestly a bit refreshing to have a company with such a large outreach take on such a controversial subject. Sure, not everything is perfect, but I love how Luke Cage handled it. Having a bullet proof black character is so appropriate, regardless of your view on the issue.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
I only have one minor problem with Luke Cage. It's nothing major, just a little plot hole. In episode 11 Misty calls to try and get help. Her phone is a little broken, and because they can't hear each other, she gives up. I don't think the writers realised that she could still text. It just annoyed me a little that they overlooked that.

Crimson Jazz

You ain't got no YEEZY!?!
I only have one minor problem with Luke Cage. It's nothing major, just a little plot hole. In episode 11 Misty calls to try and get help. Her phone is a little broken, and because they can't hear each other, she gives up. I don't think the writers realised that she could still text. It just annoyed me a little that they overlooked that.

Yeah this bothered the hell out of me too. But hey, tension.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

I caught onto this too, but just kind of brushed it off. Sometimes you just miss the obvious things when writing. The results of it did exactly what it needed to though, so I guess that works for me.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
Well, looks like all seasons are enough for me to watch them from the start to the waiting game as we get near to The Defenders.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Well, looks like all seasons are enough for me to watch them from the start to the waiting game as we get near to The Defenders.

Well, we still have Iron Fist coming next March and The Punisher sometime next year, both before Defenders, but now's a great time to start the Marvel series if you haven't yet. Next year is going to be packed with content, so it may be a good time to get ahead.

Roxie1563

Awards
Well, we still have Iron Fist coming next March and The Punisher sometime next year, both before Defenders, but now's a great time to start the Marvel series if you haven't yet. Next year is going to be packed with content, so it may be a good time to get ahead.

Probably so, except I kind of don't understand Netflix and how it works. I guess you could say I'm used to my shows being on DirecTV or cable then when it comes out on Blu-ray, I get it so I can enjoy everything without commercials in the way.

Still, you're right on the head. :3

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Probably so, except I kind of don't understand Netflix and how it works. I guess you could say I'm used to my shows being on DirecTV or cable then when it comes out on Blu-ray, I get it so I can enjoy everything without commercials in the way.

Still, you're right on the head. :3
Netflix has no commercials.

Roxie1563

Awards
Netflix has no commercials.

I know that; I was just referring to normal cable and Netflix is not, so it's something.

Out of curiosity, how long to finish all seasons in time for Defenders?

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I just finished watching. Mariah has totally fallen into the shoes of Cottonmouth. And in the end she got away, so I guess there will always be tension between her and Misty. I still have to say the most memorable moments were Pop's death, Cottonmouth shooting the RPG, and dropping Luke into boiling acid. Mariah and Shades kissin - hold on - I'm gunna hurl...

Diamondback kinda showed up out of nowhere, but his weapons were cool. I guess now he'll be experimented on like Luke. And it's too bad in the end Luke has to serve jail time. Hopefully, he can prove his innocence.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I've watched the first few episodes and daaaaaaaaam it's cool. But Jessica Jones and Daredevil have a good place in my heart too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back