• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Martial Arts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortissimo

Anyone practice/train in martial arts? Interested in learning?

I practice Yoshinkan Aikido. 9th kyu
If anyone is unfamiliar with it, Aikido was developed in the 20's-30's by O' Sensei Morihei Ueshiba. Aikido was developed without the intention to kill your opponent, but instead to just neutralize them.

Just started last May and it has been incredibly beneficial to my life. I have a place to put all of my stress from the day and I felt a lot safer knowing that I was actively learning ways to defend myself. Especially living by myself in a city. I'm confident saying that I intend to make it a life long practice now. It gives me a lot of peace.

Anagram

Banned
I have always been interested in learning some form of self defense. There's nowhere I can learn it from though.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
I've been interested in learning Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, and Jiu Jitsu. There aren't many people around me who can teach it though.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
When I was younger I trained Muay Thai. In the process I picked up boxing and American Kick Boxing. From time to time I still hone my skills, haven't been to the gym in a while but I'm still pretty sharp. Not as flexible but I'm actually probably smoother now.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
my interest lie in bjj, muy thai, or krav maga.

Noel

Awards
I've done Shitoryu (Also known as Shukoukai) Karate. It'll be my 9th year in June. I'll be finally testing for my adult first dan black belt february. I'm currently a Black Belt Shodan-ho. (In other words a zero degree.) Sadly I'll have to retire for a bit due to college and I won't be able to go train at the Dojo as frequently. \:

My Sensei also happens to be a two time Escrima Stick World Champion, so once a week a he has a class devoted to it. :3

My Sensei is in the black armor. Which by the way does not help at all during sparring.
[video=youtube;aLcbSyDFMHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcbSyDFMHk[/video]

Last edited:

Light

faster than
Awards
I trained in jiu jitsu for around 6 years before other commitments caused me to drop my efforts. It's a really good way to keep fit and does wonders for your core strength.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I practice Tai Chi and just very recently started studying some Northern Shaolin Kung Fu. I'm also a fan of both animated Avatar series, so of course I frame this as learning water-bending and fire-bending at the same time (and it is difficult!).

I studied some Taekwondo in college under the tutelage of a good friend, but never made it past purple belt.

I practice martial arts less for the specific self-defense techniques and more for the feeling of 'being at home' in your own body. I suspect it is the same for dancers, gymnasts, or anyone else who practices an art that requires confidence and control in movement.

Fortissimo

I'm worried that after this spring/half of summer passes i'll have to put a hold on any further training because i'm graduating and leaving the country for a bit. Though ive looked into where i'm going and they have a dojo for Aikikai which isnt the exact same school i go to but its the same art. I just started this year and i'm not ready to stop. Though im sure if i make the effort i can keep practicing consistently. I just dont know what to expect in the next few years. I wish i started years ago </3

I practice martial arts less for the specific self-defense techniques and more for the feeling of 'being at home' in your own body. I suspect it is the same for dancers, gymnasts, or anyone else who practices an art that requires confidence and control in movement.

Yeah one of my sensei's was telling me that, at least with our art, you can't just expect the technique to work the way its practiced in class. Because its a learning environment and we cooperate with each other to learn the technique. So Saturday mornings we do an applied technique class more aimed at real life situations.
But i view the classical technique as similar reasons to what you said. I feel like I'm in control and I'm accessing energy throughout my body and cleansing out the bad energy through the movements and techniques. Like i'm doing some internal house keeping each training session. I walk away feeing peaceful and clean and with something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back