• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Marluxia was originally a girl

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
But, like, they call him "him" and "he." I don't understand how people could miss that but I guess it happens!

Jotari

Awards
I guess most people don't pay attention to much of anything. His original brown haired sprite looks nothing like a girl, at least to me. Sure it's long but it's styled in a wild distinctly non feminine way.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Sounds to me like people simply can't accept that they're wrong.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
The first time I saw Marluxia was in the brief scenes of KH2's intro. I thought he was simply a muscular women, lol.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I initially thought that he was a girl from a design standpoint. It wasn't until Axel and Larxene referred to him as a he that I put two and two together and realized that he wasn't so much a woman as he was a standard bishonen.

blksabbath74

I initially thought that he was a girl from a design standpoint. It wasn't until Axel and Larxene referred to him as a he that I put two and two together and realized that he wasn't so much a woman as he was a standard bishonen.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is a bishonen?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

It's a "pretty boy" (lit. "beautiful boy"). It just refers to a male that's effeminatly pretty/beautiful. They're quite popular in anime, manga, and Japanese video games.

Although, from what I understand the term strickly refers to minors and adult men actually find it insulting (since it referes t them as "boys/children"). I'm sure there's a correct term for adults somewhere.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think the word that refers to adults would be "biseinen".

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Bidanshi (handsome man)/binanshi (another variant) is also another way of saying it. Biseinen/Bidanshi is probably the best to use when referring to Marluxia, Xemnas, and the 18+ yo characters in this series.

For example Cloud and Sephiroth are not bishounen despite the term being used for them frequently. They are both in their 20s (Sephiroth might have been 30 in AC idk)

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
blksabbath74 said:

As already mentioned by others on the thread, it's essentially a term that the Japanese used for youthful minors with effeminate features.

Bidanshi (handsome man)/binanshi (another variant) is also another way of saying it. Biseinen/Bidanshi is probably the best to use when referring to Marluxia, Xemnas, and the 18+ yo characters in this series.

For example Cloud and Sephiroth are not bishounen despite the term being used for them frequently. They are both in their 20s (Sephiroth might have been 30 in AC idk)

Thanks. I remember reading that up somewhere on TV Tropes. Biseinen is the term that I see more frequently such as when it referred to Sephiroth from VII and Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia. I just couldn't remember the exact word and spelling until now.

blksabbath74

As already mentioned by others on the thread, it's essentially a term that the Japanese used for youthful minors with effeminate features.

Thanks. I remember reading that up somewhere on TV Tropes. Biseinen is the term that I see more frequently such as when it referred to Sephiroth from VII and Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia. I just couldn't remember the exact word and spelling until now.

Thanks guys! To be honest, I find the majority of Square Enix characters to be at least somewhat androgynous or 'pretty.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back