• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Manga-wannabe

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
have you ever ran into an american comic book claiming to be manga? or when tokyopop deliberately calls manhwa, manga?

i find it truly irritating when i see these in the library because 1)the artwork is borderline manga style but is usually inconsistent 2) the story doesn't follow the same pacing as ordinary manga and 3) you just can't call it manga simply because it's manga style.

what's your opinion on manga-wannabe?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
have you ever ran into an american comic book claiming to be manga? or when tokyopop deliberately calls manhwa, manga?

i find it truly irritating when i see these in the library because 1)the artwork is borderline manga style but is usually inconsistent 2) the story doesn't follow the same pacing as ordinary manga and 3) you just can't call it manga simply because it's manga style.

Yeah. I hate them. TokyoPop's stupid American "manga" department was kinda pointless to me. They dropped half of the artist they picked up because of budget issues, then because they were still supporting the American artists, they dropped a lot of the the Japanese projects they were translating. And the American "mangas" should have been made in comic size rather than manga size to keep it separate.

And you can usually tell the difference from manga and manhwa. Manhwa usually open like a conventional Western book and read left to right. I am bothered by them being called manga though.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member
I like Manhwa and Manga way more but it doesn't bother me :/
Mostly because it's not affecting me personally, it actually helped introduce a few people I know to actual Manga and some people who draw it seem to really love it and such so good for them for making it this far.
Although, I have to say that there are quite a few American graphic novels out there that aren't very good, you can still manage to find some that are actually quite good/ok.

And lol @ Tokyopop refering to Manhwa as Manga. It reminds me of that Paramount audition controversy thing where they told people who were Korean to come in Kimonos.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mostly because it's not affecting me personally, it actually helped introduce a few people I know to actual Manga and some people who draw it seem to really love it and such so good for them for making it this far.
Although, I have to say that there are quite a few American graphic novels out there that aren't very good, you can still manage to find some that are actually quite good/ok.

And lol @ Tokyopop refering to Manhwa as Manga. It reminds me of that Paramount audition controversy thing where they told people who were Korean to come in Kimonos.

That is like telling a Chinese person to make them Teriyaki chicken. Obviously "teriyaki" is a Japanese word. >_>

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
You mean of localized manhwa? The only one that comes to mind right now is Phantom. It's a mecha series. You can tell it's manhwa (or maybe even "american manga") by the fact that they read from left to right.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm just more bothered by the quality of the American manga. Bizenghast is still a really good American "manga". It isn't a manga. It's just manga influenced and published by Tokyopop. Megatokyo is a mediocre webcomic based on manga and anime and it's released by some company now I dunno who now I stopped buying them.

But they're still sold in the same section and put in the same "graphic novel" section because that's what they are.
Graphic novels.
Now manwhas and the chinese form which i forgot... Manwhas as far as I know are Korean kind of manga that I usually have no taste for else than My Sassy Girl. The art is terrible in that but I loved the story.

Where as Orange and Remember by benjamin are stunning in both writing and artistic value... I love that artist to death. Both of these are in the "comic book" form that someone mentioned. It still reads like a manga that's just left to right. But his art is in no way like the manga we know. (i don't care about your pansy attitude towards non-manga in your manga section. go read these two now.)

It's just about influential style and broad genre of what it is. Not where it's from.

As for the "manga wannabe", if they do their job as an artist and make their art INFLUENCED by other artists while not making a literal copy of their work, I like it. Usually this never happens and I get pissed off.

Sempied

Usually it doesn't bother me other things like the Maximum Ride, and other american made like ones in the magazine Yen Plus that have manga, and a bit manhwa don't bother me that much.

Now Nick Simmons "Incarnate" is another story.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Manhwa is easily noticeable because of the character names (Well at least from the ones I've read) because they are Korean/Chinese type names like Jin-Soo or Young-Ji for example.

As for American comics masquerading as manga, I find it a little annoying. It just seems like the author's are trying to hard to be manga, which turns me off about it. It's kind of the same thing with recent cartoons trying to be anime. Ben 10 comes to mind. Anime usually has a story that continues and follows the previous episodes. But the Amercian ones follow the baddie-of-the-week type format.

krexia

Translator
Awards
I don't give a damn and don't see why anyone would. Here in Japan, all comics are "manga" just like all animated works are "anime". I was reading a Knights of the Old Republic TBP from Dark Horse on my lunch break in the lab once, and one of my coworkers was like, "Oh, they have Star Wars manga too?"

In my view, stories told with pictures are stories told with pictures, and I see little point in discriminating based on where they were made.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Here's Orange and Remember which I mentioned earlier.

These are both sold I believe under Tokyopop and are found in the manga section. They aren't from Japan but are still in the same section as manga in my library and Borders.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

These both are obviously not the typical manga style.
Do I care? Not really. These are amazing. Why? Because he actually pushes to have his own unique style. Not because these were made in China. I don't care where they come from. I just care about the quality of what's given to me. There's plenty of crap coming out of Japan. It isn't just the US making crappy manga.

Hell, in Remember the artist in it struggles with the publishers because they're pushing all the Chinese artists to be like Japan's because it's what sells.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
They broke the number one rule with Manga.

Anything that says "Nomura" if they were still flipped, could have been "Arumon"

Like lol.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They broke the number one rule with Manga.

Anything that says "Nomura" if they were still flipped, could have been "Arumon"

Like lol.
A lot of mangas did that. Sailor Moon for example. D: They did it so kids could read it without getting confused and also to match the anime's one mission of making Sailor Moon take place in America.

I find it annoying as hell.

Allister Rose

French Lover

to be honest, to me, manga is something that was made in japan (despite who made it) and released later in other countries, and manhwa is the same but in korea.

still, it's like lycorismoon29 said. it's like calling a korean person japanese.

krexia

Translator
Awards
still, it's like lycorismoon29 said. it's like calling a korean person japanese.
The way I see it, insisting that comics made in Japan should be called 'manga' is like insisting that movies made in Japan should be called 'eiga'.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The way I see it, insisting that comics made in Japan should be called 'manga' is like insisting that movies made in Japan should be called 'eiga'.

I seriously see where you're coming from on this.

D: Can we just call them comics and everyone shuts up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back