• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mana / Seiken Densetsu Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I can confirm it does. I just brought mine home from Gamestop, and I got the code for it on the receipt. (In the US, ya had to go Gamestop for it. I usually avoid Gamestop like the plague, but I really like physical copies of my games.)

Just got it installed and all, played the first part. Man, this is going to be fun and I'm not sorry I got the physical copy. ^^ Also be aware; there is a Day 1 patch. Mostly bug smashing from the description. ^^

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Releases today! Some of the 3D models are actually pretty good. My backlog is so big, but what's another game, right? *rip*

[video=youtube;sQ_u0aCr_tU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_u0aCr_tU[/video]

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Ugh this. I never played the original, and I wanted to preorder this for the costume add-ons, but I was too irate with GameStop to deal with them for this preorder. I may get this discounted some day (and purchase the stupid little outfits if they come to PSN).

Has anyone started this, enjoying it? I'm seeing mixed to negative reviews mostly. :/

Even Adventures of Mana (which I also have yet to play) seems to have received better treatment, sans Vita port.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'm nearly to the last three dungeons, so I think I can speak up.

First off, those that are making fun of the graphics are barking up the wrong tree. I think they were going for the original character design art, which really works, but it could be better if they'd improved expressions.

I will NOT deny that the PS4/phys version is a little crashy. Thank heaven for autosave, which means you don't lose more than a minute if that. It autosaves every time you zone, and that has saved me at least twice. (I'd like to ask PS4 owners who have this what model PS4 you run; maybe we can help Square run this down.)

The English voices are on point, and really hammer home the point that the sprite (Popoi) is a BOY. He always has been, it was a minor translation issue. Just if you're leveling spells, turn the voices off temporarily. They can drive you batty, then.

I like the stopping at the inn sequences a lot, those are fun. ^^

I don't mind the music changes as much as some, but yeah, if you don't like the remixed music, you have the option to use the original. Do it.

Anyway been having a blast; this is the first time I've really owned a copy of Secret of Mana that didn't have a gamebreaker bug (the iOS version had a gamebreaker bug; if it crashed, you'd have to reinstall the game..and LOSE YOUR SAVE, ugh. that's why my original clear on it was on a ROM). Also keep in mind; the mechanics are basically UNCHANGED from the SNES other than I can't seem to get chainspelling to work, but that's a minor quibble with me, since I have been able to beat bosses without it and I wasn't too good at that anyway. (I think they lost points on reviews for that.)

It took me well into the game to notice this, but they added a nice touch with the PS4 controller. The light on the back changes depending on which chara you are controlling. Pink for the girl, blue for the boy, and green for the sprite. I think I'd of noticed it quicker if I had more than one controller; they proly did that to identify who is who with controllers. ^^ (I am NOT paying 50-60 bucks just so I can have one of my siblings play w/me for one game. No, no no!) Also they finally put the canon names as the default names, which I appreciate. (Randi, Primm, and Popoi; I think this is the first English version to show those names.)

All and all, I've been having a rockin' fun time with this. If you liked the original, you might like this remake. If you hated the original, this will not change your mind one bit. Just make sure to loosen the nostalgia goggles a bit and come at this with a open mind. Oh and switch the voices off when you're leveling spells. Hearing Popoi call out for Salamado for the 200th time gets real old real fast.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'd actually love to play this with my partner. I don't know if he's ever played the original, but I haven't and I think my experience may -benefit- without the nostalgia goggles. If you're already near the end of the game, it must mean you're having a really fun time, considering it only came out a week ago.

Ugh, still sad about missing out on the preorder crap now. #collectorwoes

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
No problem Rydega. I just wonder how much of the game the reviewers played too. I'd rather have a review on a game clear myself if I'm trying to make a decision on a game. ^^ (Hence why I didn't say anything for a while, I wanted to beat it first or nearly.)

Anyway, might clear it today or tomorrow. Like all RPGs not going to go for a plat, especially a old-skool one like this. And I hope they find out the reason for the crashing randomly on zoning; if I ever manage to get my paws on a second controller for a price that doesn't make me wince, I might want to play it with my nieces/nephew and the 2 crashes I had were mildly annoying to me, but to a kid it might be a throw controller thing. But that's not a huge priority, for obvious reasons. (It's only one game, etc.)

And don't worry too much about the costumes; I basically turned them on once, smiled, then turned them back off. Heh.

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Okay! If you got the PS4 Secret of Mana, they released a patch today. Mostly bug smashing again. I hope they got the crash bugs, for this is a fun game and I'd <3 to share it with my nieces and nephew some day if I find a DS4 for a decent price. Crashing does not help. ^^

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Good to know the patch came! I've been stuck in the final dungeon because of Weapon Orb farming. I have terrible RNG luck with enemy drops.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Bumpity bump bump and thread revival!

My brother who owns a Switch (I'll just call him by his old FFXI chara's name here) Shadowneko got the new Collection of Mana for his Switch and has been letting me play it. Since I've never gotten to play the first game in the series legally (Final Fantasy Adventure, which is what the English version is called) I started there.

I haven't tried Trials of Mana yet (I only played it aka. Seiken Densetsu 3 as the fan translation before. I'm prolly going to hit that next.) but 'Neko has been playing it blind; I got him into a Durian game b/c I understand that's a good story to start with when you're new to the game. He's been enjoying it. ^^

Anyway from what I've seen, M2 (that's the company that handled the ports..) has knocked it out of the park here. Controls are SOLID and with FF Adventure, they've even added some screen modes to make it feel like "this isn't a Switch, this is a Gameboy." I found out after M2 is the creme de la creme of porters from one system to another and they often add extra stuff, so I'm glad Square got the best.

If you've never heard of M2, I'm not suprised since this was the first time I've heard of them too. Here's a recent documentary on them: (TURN THE SUBTITLES ON! And go for the gear and change the language settings so it's Japanese to English, that way you'll understand the M2 developers. since this is a Japanese company.)

Anyway they do this because they <3 games, if you wanna know the summary, and they try to do their ports so they're note perfect and work exactly like they would on the original hardware, not to mention they add a few extras without being asked.

Also I can't WAIT for the new Trials of Mana remake and I hope it's a ton better than the Secret of Mana remake, crash wise and stuff. ^^ Are you guys ready? Those of you that actually OWN a Switch, did you get the collection?

(Oh and btw, this collection is one of the games that is making me seriously consider saving for a Switch. I'd like my own copy!)

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
OKAY! Bumpity and thread revival again~!

Anyone been playing the Trials of Mana remake? I beat a Durian game, been loving this a LOT! They did change it a little, unlike the SoM remake, NO crashes, and I'm working on the aftergame.

I can highly recommend it; it's available for PC as well, btw. ^^

Back