• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Making New Friends During COVID

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
So I moved to a new location shortly before COVID happened. I didn't really get to know anyone around the area, that's already a tough thing for me to do in regular life. When COVOD happened, I pretty much was on my own since I didn't know anyone around here and obviously no one was going to chat with strangers or make new friends with the killer virus on the loose (especially back in March/April). Now that things are kind of relaxed, I just find it more awkward to make friends or talk to people because I don't think anyone wants to talk to people they don't know.

Basically, the loneliness has been getting to me because I really want to make some friends, but it's damn near impossible nowadays because of COVID fears or just the awkwardness of approaching people with a mask on or chatting with strangers with the mask on. I was thinking of talking to people at my gym, but everyone has their mask on and is busy (and I'm busy too, I like to go in and be focused during a workout). I'm taking these classes (in person) where the teacher's assistant is around my age and we joke around a bit and talk a little (generic stuff). Would it be weird to ask to hang out after the classes are over (like I'm done the course)? I will be done next week, so I don't have much time.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
First, I'm trying hard not to judge you for going to a gym during a pandemic. For the sake of this topic, I will ignore it.

Second, there is no real sure-fire way to make new friends in such an unprecedented time. It's hard enough to keep in contact with existing friends.

Most of the new interactions I've had with people have been through friends and friends of friends. Since you are in a completely new place, that definitely limits your ability to link up with people.

Honestly I'd say end this year and call it a wash. Will you be taking classes next year? I think you'd have better luck starting out fresh and trying to get a study group started and find some new friends that way.

Are you working? That is also another way to find some new companions.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
First, I'm trying hard not to judge you for going to a gym during a pandemic. For the sake of this topic, I will ignore it.

Second, there is no real sure-fire way to make new friends in such an unprecedented time. It's hard enough to keep in contact with existing friends.

Most of the new interactions I've had with people have been through friends and friends of friends. Since you are in a completely new place, that definitely limits your ability to link up with people.

Honestly I'd say end this year and call it a wash. Will you be taking classes next year? I think you'd have better luck starting out fresh and trying to get a study group started and find some new friends that way.

Are you working? That is also another way to find some new companions.
The gym is very limited capacity and face mask at all times with all the checks at the door. There hasn't been an outbreak or anyone reported to have it yet and it's been open since September, but I hear you.

Anyway, it's like a sports recreational class thing. So it's not an actual school course, but more a limited time thing. I don't think I will take it again next year because it will be the same thing as before, there's no graduation of skill level.

I do work, but most people in the company are not around my age. I'm the youngest person there, so there's no one that I would really ask to hang out with since they all have families and stuff.

I have been telling myself to just not worry and give it until Spring. It's just that these 9 months have been very hard on me and I want to at least try and befriend someone. I literally have no one around in my area that I know, so I've been pretty much alone only talking to friends and family on the phone/video calls. Maybe it's because it's Christmas time and I had plans to visit family around now (that I had planned since January), but I just feel really lonely and desperate. Video calls only go so far. I'm lucky that my boss is aware of my situation and offered me help if I ever needed it.

Back