• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Main vs. Spinoffs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

whgang99

I've been confused by what titles of this series are main and are spin-offs. Many people simply call KH, KHII, KHIII main and the others spin-offs, while kh-wiki calls all 9 games by SE main and few unknown ones, not made by SE, spin-offs.
And then I've stopped thinking about all this confusing "main", "spin-off" things and simply divided them into "numbered" and "unnumbered" by myself - until I read something from a Korean wiki site.

"소라가 주인공이냐 아니냐에 따라 본편, 외전 구분을 한다고 제작진이 BbS 발매 인터뷰에서 발언한 적이 있다."

"The development team has mentioned in BbS release interview that Main and Spinoffs are determined by if Sora is the hero."

And, is this real? That wiki site is very untrustworthy compared to khwiki, that it doesn't site resources, but that "BbS release interview" part makes it sound kinda real. Has anyone heard of such interview? Or, does anyone know official infos about this main and spin-off thing?

Edit: I searched looking for that "interview" thing. I found the list below by google.
http://www.khinsider.com/birth-by-sleep/interviews
And found an interview below, which has the closest line to the line above.
http://www.khinsider.com/content/view/1263/339/

Is that list all of the interviews in both Japanese and English? If so, that wiki site is once again wrong. If not, maybe I gotta search more to find that line.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Official sources be damned, just look at the games themselves. Spin-off is a misnomer. As all of the KH games take place in the same continuity as KH1 and II and affect the overall plot in some way, there are NO Kingdom Hearts spinoff games in existence as of now.

BBS is absolutely crucial to the plot right now, and Sora's just a little kid in that one. CoM isn't a numbered title, but it has Sora as the main character and is possibly one of the most pivotal moments in the entire plot of the series. KH Chi doesn't have Sora appear at all as a character and yet the plot has become arguably more crucial to the series than Days and Re:Coded. And even those two take place in the same continuity and affect the events of other games in some way.

whgang99

Agree. Days is my favorite, after all. But it can't hurt to know how Nomura calls them. Though it seems it's just that untrustworthy wiki...

andreverts

Awards
Kingdom Hearts is probably the last true saga, instead of serie, that means that every single game does count as "main" because it's always directly related to the continuity of the story.

Maybe just Kingdom Hearts Mobile can be considered a spin-off - even if that sort of evolved into coded.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
The only game that I'd seriously consider calling a spin-off would be Coded because all the important information you get there can somehow be found in the other games if you pay enough attention.
Other than that, all the games are very important to understand the plot and I can already see those people who refuse to play anything but KH1 and KH2 getting super frustrated at KH3 once it finally releases.

whgang99

I've searched around the internet in English and Korean but I found absolutely nothing other than that they "didn't give a number (to BbS), since Sora is not the hero". Seems like somebody misread the interview and wrote it on the wiki. Better just think all 9 of them are eithet "main with numbers" or "main without numbers".

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah, I'm thinking of making a poll to make it canon. I also want that game to get it's own sub forums once we find the full game including emulators that can run it.
Iiiiiii don't really think it's worth it. The game is probably the worst, plus it was created by Disney

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I've searched around the internet in English and Korean but I found absolutely nothing other than that they "didn't give a number (to BbS), since Sora is not the hero". Seems like somebody misread the interview and wrote it on the wiki. Better just think all 9 of them are eithet "main with numbers" or "main without numbers".

It is certainly easier to look at them that way.

The best reason for why the unnumbered games have no linear numbering while the numbered games do is because the unnumbered games are handheld titles while the numbered ones are console games.

In that sense, numbered games are games that deliver a full and completed Kingdom Hearts experience with the core gameplay and visuals in tact. The handheld titles are much more compact and take on more experimental features.

Not so much because Sora wasn't the main playable character.

But numbered titles have certain expectations. Sora, Donald and Goofy as our main party, Command menu system (aka the normal "Action", "Magic", "Items" system), etc.

But it can't hurt to know how Nomura calls them.

He didn't used to, but as of late he's taken to referring to them as "spin-offs" but the connotations of that word don't carry the same weight in Japan as they do in the west. It's just another way to say "this isn't a numbered game" but for whatever reason to western fans it means "this game is not a part of the main storyline and is unimportant"

They can't even be called "side games" since they are still key to the overall plot and move the story forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back