• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Main Roleplay - Working Out A Trait System

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Whose proposed systems is the most appropriate?

• Omni's Six-Trait Numerical

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Argentus' Four-Trait Descriptive

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • LoC's Power Scale

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Rather than fight for my stats system - it seems I have lost entirely - I think it's better for me to contribute to your system, Omni. While I'd LIKE to see my system used, it seems the people would prefer we work out the kinks with yours.

So the first priority, in my opinion, is thus: How do we eliminate powerbuilds? As is, balance is a problem. A player putting points into only one or only a few areas is far better off than one seeking the middle way. Here's how I would propose to fix this:

Numerical stats ARE used, but instead of freely assigning your numbers, players allocate certain preset values across their stats, with how high they are being dependent on rank (Perhaps as judged by Chaos' system).

Suppose a 'Level 1' player gets the following points to assign to your 6-trait system:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

They could assign these fixed values to any they like. An example set would be:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This would be the cranky old war-wizard.

These stats would increase at an even rate, and go up as the player solves challenges -- either combat or non-combat. Thus this improvement to your system would prevent exploitation. Story events or RP-Manager discretion could cause an increase of all stats or a specific stat, but specific stats should be done sparingly.

What do you think of this modification of Omni's system? It's still the same basic numerical system, but with added restrictions to prevent powergaming.

You just pulled numbers from nowhere.

1) A simpler basis would be to have a set limit of points allowed per stat during creation. You are given x amount of points to fill in all six stats, allowing you to place them in accordance to how you want to portray your character. As in real life, your character will be good at some things, bad at others, etc - because there will only be that certain amount of skill points - which will not balance out to a flat amount entirely across the board. As the RP progresses they would "level up" and gain x amount of skill points to put in the fashion that they want to portray their character.

2) It's either that or starting every character with all stats at 10 starting out, and giving like 4 points to start off with, giving them 4 at every "level up" to allocate as they desire to portray their character. I chose 4 because it provides a good restriction and forces people to think and allocate in a smart manner when there are 6 stats. 5 points would be far too nice, or if even considered - would be given out after a major villain is beaten or destroyed (though that in itself leads to whether those who take part in killing him are granted the "experience/skill points" or if all RPers are granted them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back