• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mah Beef With Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Johnny Stooge said:
I

So let's now assume there is no God. Christianity is a lie. If you've lead your life "the way God wants you too", in my honest opinion, you've wasted your life.
Why is that people have to pass up the life they have now and focus on a life after death that may not even be there? I've been born into a world that offers alot of things to do and I make it a life goal to make the most with what I've been given. Life is short. There's no telling when you'll go and if manage to live until you die in your sleep, you've got about 15 - 20 years to have the most fun. Don't waste them going to church and don't waste them being forced to ask for forgiveness every single night. If you've done something you found fun, you shouldn't be forced to regret it. And that's how I see life should be lived - no regrets.

[/rant]

WHAT? I completely disagree with you as I feel that even if Christianity is a lie, then I wouldn't feel my life was wasted at all. Church is just one hour a week and you're completly ignoring all the good that comes out of it like charity and helping others. Church is also a time for reflection as is prayer and it really helps me sort out my feelings. Have you considered that people follow Christian principles because they actually want to, in order to be good people, not just because the Bible says to.

Awards
I mostly Agree here.

If there is no God, and you have been abiding by the rules in the Bible, then you pretty much have spent your life chasing after a pipe dream. Even if you have fun in the process, your still just wasting your time. I say, do what you want to do with your own life. If you want to follow the Bible, then you do that. If you want to be a Jackass, go ahead. Imo, It's your choice.

Now, im going to go and eat some Condensed Milk.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Enchanted Rose said:
WHAT? I completely disagree with you as I feel that even if Christianity is a lie, then I wouldn't feel my life was wasted at all.
So you're fine with the fact that you've devoted yourself to God for your whole life, and then nothing?

Church is just one hour a week and you're completly ignoring all the good that comes out of it like charity and helping others.
Christianity is not the only religion that hands out charity. But even then, charity is selfish.

Church is also a time for reflection as is prayer and it really helps me sort out my feelings.
That's great for you.
But people can do that without church.

Have you considered that people follow Christian principles because they actually want to, in order to be good people, not just because the Bible says to.
Don't christian principles come from the Bible?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Bah, I understand the fact that christians feel they haven't wasted their life following christianity, and have done good, even in the name of a non-existant deity. But not all christians are like this. Some consider christianity an obligation, and those that do and remained christian to the end, if there is no god, they have truly wasted their life.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Johnny Stooge said:
So you're fine with the fact that you've devoted yourself to God for your whole life, and then nothing?

Yes.

Johnny Stooge said:
Christianity is not the only religion that hands out charity. But even then, charity is selfish.

I didn't claim it was.

I do see what you mean about people feeling bound by restrictions and obligations but most Christians aren't that devoted to God and tend not to follow the 'rules'. Therefore, for the majority of us, we aren't wasting our lives.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I do see what you mean about people feeling bound by restrictions and obligations but most Christians aren't that devoted to God and tend not to follow the 'rules'. Therefore, for the majority of us, we aren't wasting our lives.

Why is this so? If you truly believe in God, and you love him, why not try to please him by following all of his rules? Selfishness? Sloth? Greed? Doubt?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
You know what's funny? Some of you people seem to believe that being a good person (or at least trying) is wasting your life if some deity turns out to be false. Sure, you won't get some ultimate reward, but does that mean you should stop being a good person? Those commandments weren't just made up at the whim of some people, they were guidelines on how to be a good person. I know some of the rules added on later by the Church are retarded, but not everything about the religion is bad if some people added on some frivolous bullshit.

Rich

Come out, Tigerlily
Awards
Website
rairich.blogspot.com
Here's one thing I think Ryu touched on but didn't quite elaborate on it: Some people are a lot happier as Christians.

We aren't all stoics. We don't lock ourselves away from fun and pleasure. You seem to think the Bible is against fun, well it's not. Yes, it sets rules, but they are healthy rules. And most of the rules that the Bible sets protects others and yourself. I know plenty of people who aren't Christian, but still follow the Bible as a standard for their lives. It's a really good one.

But as I was going to say, Christians can have fun being Christians. Before I became Christian, yes, I had fun. But since then, it's been better. Not only do I have fun, but also peace, and love. And I tell you, I may not have an easy life since salvation, but God can give peace through difficult times for me. Not to mention that following the Bible almost becomes habit to you when you're a Christian. If you've truly accepted the Holy Spirit into your life, you'll automatically do the things that are right. I don't obey the Bible because I'm forced to; I do it because I want to. I do it because it gives me peace and happiness. It helps me make the right choices that help me live a better and happier life.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Square Ninja said:
You know what's funny? Some of you people seem to believe that being a good person (or at least trying) is wasting your life if some deity turns out to be false.
No. You're wasting your life if you're giving up having fun for the sake of being good to get into Heaven.

Ratio said:
Here's one thing I think Ryu touched on but didn't quite elaborate on it: Some people are a lot happier as Christians.
And I don't have anything against that.

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
Raito said:
Yes, it sets rules, but they are healthy rules.
Like stoning people.
And most of the rules that the Bible sets protects others and yourself.
Protection through genocide and persecution.
But as I was going to say, Christians can have fun being Christians. Before I became Christian, yes, I had fun. But since then, it's been better.
Guilt is like emo wrist-cutting for the soul!
Not only do I have fun, but also peace, and love.
If you didn't have these things before you became I believer, I both pity you and have a bit more understanding for your choice of belief.

And continuing on the side-track;
Johnny Stooge said:
You're wasting your life if you're giving up having fun for the sake of being good
I'm not christian, but I do not see how "fun" equates moral ambiguity or hurting other people. But then again, I follow a personalized moral code, based on personal beliefs of right and wrong- and since western moral standards are based on the christian faith, I do agree on many things the Bible has to say. However, being atheist allows me all the pros of trying to be a decent human being, without the drawbacks of having to deal with a religion responsible for a truly gargantuan amount of evils and general ignorance.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
You guys should check out the Rule of Benedict. Sure, it's a doctrine from the Catholic Church, but all religions (even atheists) can use it, and it's a great set of moral guidelines for life.

Sora_thekeybearer

Hahah, Johnny just hit the "something!"
Religion is something complex, you know... Specially the Christian religion, as it has changed so many times that it's not shaped now like it used to...
So what about the fun? The Lord says: do this, do this; don't do that.
XDD
Well, actually, it's not the Lord who says that. How to explain this...?There's so damn much that's changed in christian religion since it's creation...
Well, I'll just say this: Believe in God, not in the Church! (nor the Bible, unless you have original books separately & uneditted... But they're so hard to find ¬¬)

By the way, originally things such as eternal damnation didn't exist... They're pagan "traditions" created by the human heads of the Church to scare people & get them to follow them out of fear. XDD
Merry Christmas! (which, by the way, doesn't mean what you think it does!)

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Why is this only about Christianity <.< Why cant I bump into this and say, "Hey! I'm Muslim! I'm sexah! And I love life!"?

o.o Zomg! I just did!

Raphin

In the very essense of the air around you...
Given the condition of religion, science, and the world, I say this...

Religion, as my friend said, was our first theory in existence. We devoted our lives to it. It was once the answer to all mysteries, the trump card in times of peril, and so on. Our lives revovled around it.

Most religions in the world today have at least one or more gods. Usually, they have some kind of creation tale in them. Like how the world was created in 7 days, and how the kin of a giant made the world from the giant's carcass. That's one thing..now here's another. Ever since the dawn of our kind, evolution, creation, or otherwise, we relied on religion as our walking stick and our PDA in this path of life. We needed it. Eventually, it gave rise to civilizations. Take for example, the Israelites. They, after a bit of migration, settled upon the land known as Caanan. Through reliance on the belief of a one, true, holy God, they conquered the region and established a kingdom. They developed their own unique, diverse culture and kept it, even after the Diaspora, where they were scattered thruought Europe. I would say, at this point, that although there is a belief in God, I believe religion is a god in itself.
It was one of the things that kept cultures unique while still not having to shoot a bullet. It gave people a sense of a goal, to reach for transcendance.
In short, it was a creator, a guidance, and a light for the world. These days,
we forsake it, thinking it as nonsense, pish-posh, hogwash, and a load of crap. But think for a moment...without religion, would you like to live in a world where we know all that there is, but have no real uniqueness behind us?

Although we may forsake religion, try to give credit to it for helping us in the road of life for so long and so far.

(If we don't believe in hell, why do we say "Go to hell!"?)

Oh, and on a side note...

Why, oh WHY did Pope John Paul II had to die?!

Last edited:

Raphin

In the very essense of the air around you...
LordMune said:
Because there is no god.

Nope, 'cause he had serious ailments in the head area. He also got shot one time, which he survived from (miraculously). I think that shot further damaged him at old age.

Either way,we're all worm food in the end...and my delusional self thinks our souls go to flies.

Last edited:

Chaos-Shadow

Shadow
Website
www.myspace.com
Sora_thekeybearer said:
Hahah, Johnny just hit the "something!"
Religion is something complex, you know... Specially the Christian religion, as it has changed so many times that it's not shaped now like it used to...
So what about the fun? The Lord says: do this, do this; don't do that.
XDD
Well, actually, it's not the Lord who says that. How to explain this...?There's so damn much that's changed in christian religion since it's creation...
Well, I'll just say this: Believe in God, not in the Church! (nor the Bible, unless you have original books separately & uneditted... But they're so hard to find ¬¬)

By the way, originally things such as eternal damnation didn't exist... They're pagan "traditions" created by the human heads of the Church to scare people & get them to follow them out of fear. XDD
Merry Christmas! (which, by the way, doesn't mean what you think it does!)

I have to agree with you,im cathlic <-(not even shure if i spelled it right xD ) But i am not very religuos,my belief is,as long as u believe in god and do the right thing he will forgive you,and if their is an after life,will accept u in heaven. That simple for me,last time i went to church was...like 10 months ago mayb? But i stil believe,not going to church hasnt changed dat.

Johnny Stooge said:
So he would prefer if I didn't do it right?

Well I've done nothing that has had huge negative consequences, so I guess that's my problem.

I know. I'm mainly targeting Christianity in the thread because it is the most popular religion in the world. But what I say, goes for all.

Actualy wat i think hes trying to say is,that god didnt give u dat body so u can f*ck it up,and act proud of it. I really think that people who do jackass stunts r really desperate for attention cuz of the leinghts they go to to do it -.- ofcourse dats just my opinion,ofcourse u say its fun,so well then dats wat u think,and i got what i think.

Last edited:

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Phoenix said:
Why is this so? If you truly believe in God, and you love him, why not try to please him by following all of his rules? Selfishness? Sloth? Greed? Doubt?

Mainly selfishness rather than doubt, greed or sloth I would have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back