• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mah Beef With Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I feel like posting an opinion. Flame me if you will. -_-;

I hate religion. Allow me to explain why: I'm a believer of the saying "Life is what you make it". I want my life to be fun, so I make it fun. If I want to "sin" in order to achieve this goal, I will. So it pisses me off whenever I hear self-rightous Christians going on and on about following God and being a good little boy so that they'll live a happier life in Heaven. There is no absolute proof for a Heaven except for a several thousand year old book.

So let's now assume there is no God. Christianity is a lie. If you've lead your life "the way God wants you too", in my honest opinion, you've wasted your life.
Why is that people have to pass up the life they have now and focus on a life after death that may not even be there? I've been born into a world that offers alot of things to do and I make it a life goal to make the most with what I've been given. Life is short. There's no telling when you'll go and if manage to live until you die in your sleep, you've got about 15 - 20 years to have the most fun. Don't waste them going to church and don't waste them being forced to ask for forgiveness every single night. If you've done something you found fun, you shouldn't be forced to regret it. And that's how I see life should be lived - no regrets.

[/rant]

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
Johnny Stooge said:
I feel like posting an opinion. Flame me if you will. -_-;

I hate religion. Allow me to explain why: I'm a believer of the saying "Life is what you make it". I want my life to be fun, so I make it fun. If I want to "sin" in order to achieve this goal, I will. So it pisses me off whenever I hear self-rightous Christians going on and on about following God and being a good little boy so that they'll live a happier life in Heaven. There is no absolute proof for a Heaven except for a several thousand year old book.

So let's now assume there is no God. Christianity is a lie. If you've lead your life "the way God wants you too", in my honest opinion, you've wasted your life.
Why is that people have to pass up the life they have now and focus on a life after death that may not even be there? I've been born into a world that offers alot of things to do and I make it a life goal to make the most with what I've been given. Life is short. There's no telling when you'll go and if manage to live until you die in your sleep, you've got about 15 - 20 years to have the most fun. Don't waste them going to church and don't waste them being forced to ask for forgiveness every single night. If you've done something you found fun, you shouldn't be forced to regret it. And that's how I see life should be lived - no regrets.

[/rant]

Here, Here!

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
ye but what if ur wrong.then what will u do when u die?why take the chance when u can have fun in life and be good at the same time.ahhhh ur choice

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Lord InuYasha said:
ye but what if ur wrong.then what will u do when u die?why take the chance when u can have fun in life and be good at the same time.ahhhh ur choice
If God exists, he shouldn't hate me for making the most with what he's given me.

(You can't have fun and be good at the same time.)

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
My view on fun is exactly like Jackass.

You can't have that kind of fun and be good at the same time, can you?

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Square Ninja said:
You definitely live up to your user name.
Oh yeah. I've got the marks and scars to prove it.

icon6.gif

Ryu

an obscene gesture
There is no absolute proof for a Heaven except for a several thousand year old book.
And not even that. I'm a Christian and I don't believe in every good little boy going to Heaven.

This time, let's assume there is a God, just like you assumed there isn't one. Basically you're saying that the person who gave you the ability to enjoy all the good things in life to begin with, shouldn't be allowed to give you a healthy set of guidelines that will not only help you in this life, but in the next as well (whether you believe that's in Heaven or on earth, like I do). Biblical rules aren't there to take away your fun, they're there to help you.

If you've done something you found fun, you shouldn't be forced to regret it. And that's how I see life should be lived - no regrets.

No regrets? Even non-Christians have regrets. So you're saying you should try to justify everything you do for yourself with the excuse that it was 'fun'? It's funny how most people think they know for themselves what they should regret at the end of their life and what they shouldn't. A serial killer could say 'I have no regrets' at the end of his life, and if he was a complete psycho, he even thought his acts were fun. Should he still tell himself "I thought it was fun, I shouldn't be forced to regret it."? Does the fact that he thought it was fun mean his acts were always beneficial to himself or others? No. And thát is the purpose of the rules in the Bible, they're supposed to benefit you. You can have fun ánd live according to the Bible at the same time.

Don't waste them going to church and don't waste them being forced to ask for forgiveness every single night.

True Christians don't feel forced to ask for forgiveness every night, they do it because they want to. They know that not everything they've done or thought during the day was right, and they ask for forgiveness for that. I think that's even appropriate for non-Christians; being able to realize that you've made a couple of mistakes here and there. Whether you ask for forgiveness for them is up to you, but I believe it's only natural to do so if you believe in a God.

And just to let you know, I do see where you're coming from. I too have a hard time sometimes trying to live up to - or understand some of the biblical rules or guidelines. But I don't think it's up to each individual person to decide what they should consider fun or what they should regret or not. A set of guidelines is necessary in life, and just like most people accept traffic rules, I think people should be able to accept Biblical rules as well. The world would look a whole lot more peaceful if everyone did that. No wars, no drunks, no STD's, etc.

But of course, those things could have all originated from one person's definition of 'fun', so God shouldn't be allowed to forbid those, right?

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Ryu said:
This time, let's assume there is a God, just like you assumed there isn't one. Basically you're saying that the person who gave you the ability to enjoy all the good things in life to begin with, shouldn't be allowed to give you a healthy set of guidelines that will not only help you in this life, but in the next as well (whether you believe that's in Heaven or on earth, like I do). Biblical rules aren't there to take away your fun, they're there to help you.
(I don't want to get into a religous debate prooving whats right and whats not, just clearing that up.) ... Damn it, I can't think of something good to come back with. ._. Other than I know the bible states nothing against hedge-jumping. But I get the feeling He's not going to like my "lunatic" behaviour.

Ryu said:
No regrets? Even non-Christians have regrets. So you're saying you should try to justify everything you do for yourself with the excuse that it was 'fun'? It's funny how most people think they know for themselves what they should regret at the end of their life and what they shouldn't. A serial killer could say 'I have no regrets' at the end of his life, and if he was a complete psycho, he even thought his acts were fun. Should he still tell himself "I thought it was fun, I shouldn't be forced to regret it."? Does the fact that he thought it was fun mean his acts were always beneficial to himself or others? No. And thát is the purpose of the rules in the Bible, they're supposed to benefit you. You can have fun ánd live according to the Bible at the same time.
I thought this would happen... Killing someone is on a whole level to what I was talking about. A sane person doesn't murder someone for fun.

Ryu said:
True Christians don't feel forced to ask for forgiveness every night, they do it because they want to. They know that not everything they've done or thought during the day was right, and they ask for forgiveness for that. I think that's even appropriate for non-Christians; being able to realize that you've made a couple of mistakes here and there. Whether you ask for forgiveness for them is up to you, but I believe it's only natural to do so if you believe in a God.
I can realize when I've made a mistake. Just recently I've made a whole lot of them. However, each mistake I make leads me on the way to becoming a better person, if I can learn from them. I ask those I've hurt to forgive me. God should accept that, instead of me having to directly apologise to Him, when it's not his feelings I've hurt.

But in the end, there's not much a differance from the rules in the Bible to the ones that make up the law. I'm not saying "Screw rules!", but if I want to have fun, I should be aloud to. Just because there's a chance that there might be a place for me to go when I die, doesn't mean I should sacrifice what I've been given now.

Ryu said:
But of course, those things could have all originated from one person's definition of 'fun', so God shouldn't be allowed to forbid those, right?
Well I can't really see Him stopping me... unless He threatens to impregnate me with the next Jesus (o_O), but yes. He shouldn't be able to force me to give up on my fun because he doesn't agree with it.

Ryu

an obscene gesture
(I don't want to get into a religous debate prooving whats right and whats not, just clearing that up.) ... Damn it, I can't think of something good to come back with. ._. Other than I know the bible states nothing against hedge-jumping. But I get the feeling He's not going to like my "lunatic" behaviour.
Eh, probably not, but I don't get the feeling he's going to smite a kid for jumping over hedges either.

I thought this would happen... Killing someone is on a whole level to what I was talking about. A sane person doesn't murder someone for fun.
Neither does he ice skate in the nude with hockey players. ~_~

I can't say I don't think Jackass is fun though.

I can realize when I've made a mistake. Just recently I've made a whole lot of them. However, each mistake I make leads me on the way to becoming a better person, if I can learn from them. I ask those I've hurt to forgive me. God should accept that, instead of me having to directly apologise to Him, when it's not his feelings I've hurt.
Think of him as a father. Every sane father's feelings hurt more or less when he sees his kid make a mistake.

And yes, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes. That doesn't mean that actually making the mistake was a good thing though, so it's healthy regretting the mistake itself.

But in the end, there's not much a differance from the rules in the Bible to the ones that make up the law. I'm not saying "Screw rules!", but if I want to have fun, I should be aloud to. Just because there's a chance that there might be a place for me to go when I die, doesn't mean I should sacrifice what I've been given now.

What sacrifices are we talking about anyway? If you were a nun living in solitude I could somewhat see your point, but so far I can't see why a normal Christian wouldn't be able to have fun in his current life.

Well I can't really see Him stopping me... unless He threatens to impregnate me with the next Jesus (o_O), but yes. He shouldn't be able to force me to give up on my fun because he doesn't agree with it.

He only disagrees with it if it endangers the physical or spiritual health of you or others. I'd say the mental and physical safety of human beings is enough reason for God (and for anyone else) to disagree with some things you might consider fun. But true, he shouldn't be able to force you. And that's not what he's doing, if you don't want to live by his standards, then that's your right.

Anyway, this is turning into an Intel debate if I continue like this, so I should probably say 'o rly' or something to make this thread appropriate for FI again. ):

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Neither does he ice skate in the nude with hockey players. ~_~
They may not be sane by societies standards, but that doesn't mean they're sociopaths.

Think of him as a father. Every sane father's feelings hurt more or less when he sees his kid make a mistake.

And yes, you're supposed to learn from your mistakes. That doesn't mean that actually making the mistake was a good thing though, so it's healthy regretting the mistake itself.
My dad doesn't care if I make a mistake. Just as long as I don't make it again. I know I'm not supposed to make the mistake to begin with, and it would be nice if it never happened, but I don't regret it because if I'm ever in the same situation again, I'll know what not to do.

What sacrifices are we talking about anyway? If you were a nun living in solitude I could somewhat see your point, but so far I can't see why a normal Christian wouldn't be able to have fun in his current life.
True. But... oh I got nothing again. ._. But I keep thinking it all depends on how you have fun.

He only disagrees with it if it endangers the physical or spiritual health of you or others. I'd say the mental and physical safety of human beings is enough reason for God (and for anyone else) to disagree with some things you might consider fun.
So yeah, he's not going to like what I do.

Anyway, this is turning into an Intel debate if I continue like this, so I should probably say 'o rly' or something to make this thread appropriate for FI again. ):
o rly?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
What if you think being Wiccan is fun? Is God gonna smite you for it?

Ryu

an obscene gesture
Phoenix said:
What if you think being Wiccan is fun? Is God gonna smite you for it?
I doubt anyone can even be Wiccan if they're just doing it for fun. If you're talking about kids watching Charmed on TV and wearing pentagrams or whatever, then no, I assume he won't smite them for it.

They may not be sane by societies standards, but that doesn't mean they're sociopaths.
Well I don't think God would punish the people from Jackass severely for jumping over hedges or skating in the nude, but I don't think he'll enjoy watching it either.

My dad doesn't care if I make a mistake. Just as long as I don't make it again. I know I'm not supposed to make the mistake to begin with, and it would be nice if it never happened, but I don't regret it because if I'm ever in the same situation again, I'll know what not to do.
I agree you'll have more experience with it, but I think you'll know what not to do without having made the mistake as well. Besides, I'm not saying you should get all emo about every mistake, but it's healthy regretting something if you've done something wrong with big negative consequences.

no not rly

Yuki-kun

I think you bring up a good point I want to live my life to the fullest by all means necessary I dont care what I have to do except murder. I dont hate religion I just hate how my relatives try and force it on me. My parents dont go to church and I dont care what anyone says they invented cuss words. There is so much sin in my house I guess it just doesn't bother me. I like the way I live and if I was to die today all I have to say is see you in hell. HAHAHAHAHA does anyone know what it means message is to short add five more chracters.

Tsuriai

I could go either way on this issue. While I believe people are blinded by their religion too often, I also feel that many people need religion to lead a normal life and forget about their personal problems. Many religions act as guidelines that apply to every aspect of believer's lives, and affect their actions, in some cases positively, in others, not. But what I notice is that you're merely debating Christianity, which is only one religion out of thousands. I myself am non-religious (agnostic), but I try to learn what each religion's point is so I don't offend followers of that religion.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Ryu said:
Well I don't think God would punish the people from Jackass severely for jumping over hedges or skating in the nude, but I don't think he'll enjoy watching it either.
So he would prefer if I didn't do it right?

Ryu said:
I agree you'll have more experience with it, but I think you'll know what not to do without having made the mistake as well. Besides, I'm not saying you should get all emo about every mistake, but it's healthy regretting something if you've done something wrong with big negative consequences.
Well I've done nothing that has had huge negative consequences, so I guess that's my problem.

Tsuriai said:
But what I notice is that you're merely debating Christianity, which is only one religion out of thousands.
I know. I'm mainly targeting Christianity in the thread because it is the most popular religion in the world. But what I say, goes for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back