• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Lya's Story (prequel to Shades of Gray and The Death/Return of a Hero)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartOfTheHero

hey everyone! just finished this chapter, and it gave me a bit of a heart attack cuz when i went to save it my computer froze and i thought i lost everything, but it's all good now.
i meant to have this finished on sunday but i was really distracted cuz i had a bunch of really interesting stuff happen on saturday, so i was kind of floating on cloud 9 a bit and couldn't focus on writing like i wanted to. (Keeper don't you DARE comment on that, lol) anyways, i'm going to try to work on this more tomorrow if i don't have much homework. we'll see how it goes.

Chapter 28

I must’ve dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
They’re moving into the street

The thunder pounded over and over again, with a cadence that made me feel almost like I was listening to a band playing. The rain hitting the ground was like drums, and the lightning crackling down was like the guitars, accenting the beat set by the thunder and rain. It was just eerie, that’s all I have to say about that. But at the time it matched my mood perfectly, so I didn’t think about it too much.

I had run through the crowds of panicked people in Castle Town, and I was crossing the field where so many of Hyrule’s finest warriors had fallen earlier. My rage kept building as I followed the trail that Ganondorf and his monsters had left. What right did he have to do this? To ruin all of these people’s lives, to kill their loved ones, to destroy their homes … and to think, if things had played out a little differently … if I had been more willing to help him … I might have been right beside Hannah in this battle. I shivered as the freezing rain soaked through my clothes. I wanted to stop and think for a little while, but time was slipping by, and every second Ganondorf was getting farther away. Just don’t think about any of that stuff now, I told myself, fix this, then you can slow down and think about the way your life has spun out of control. I gritted my teeth and kept running.

The trail was leading up into the mountains, towards that first village that had been burnt. I felt uneasy about being there, but I pushed my feelings aside and kept going. When I was about halfway up the mountain I caught up with the last stragglers in Ganondorf’s army. I didn’t feel like fighting my way through what remained of the monsters, so I hung back for a few minutes while they trudged up the path. When they were well out of sight I stepped out into the middle of the path and considered my options. I could either

1. turn around and go home (so not going to happen)
2. continue up the trail and battle my way through the hundreds of surviving monsters (definitely not the best idea, and quite exhausting as well) or
3. go rock climbing and see if I can get to the top without fighting anything (difficult, but not impossible)

I sighed as I looked up at the mountain side stretching up before me. It was covered in cracks and holes, ideal for climbing, but I wasn’t exactly thrilled about it. I reached up for the first handholds that I saw and started up. About half an hour later I was close to the top, with maybe thirty feet left to climb. I found a place to rest for a few seconds and glanced down at the trail that I had climbed up from. It was so far down that it was hard to tell for certain, but I thought I saw a spot of green moving up the trail. It’s just your imagination, I thought, shaking my head and looking back up at the ledge that I was trying to reach.

“Well, look who it is,” Hannah smirked down at me from the top of the cliff. “I was wondering how long it would take you to get here.” She reached down and offered me her hand, “Come on, I’ll help you up.”

“Yeah right!” I snarled as I tried to find another way to climb up where she couldn’t reach me. “You’re just going to shove me off so that I fall to my death.”

“Not necessarily,” she responded coolly. “I want you up here alive so that I can watch your face as you die.” I looked up and saw an expression so full of utter and unkempt hate in her flashing orange eyes, it made me feel like I would almost rather fall than face her. No, don’t think like that, you have to face her; you have to fix everything that you ruined here.

As I thought this, I remembered the looks on everyone’s faces as I had run out into the thunderstorm earlier. They had been petrified. Of me. That was something that had never happened before. I felt anger building up inside of me again. Why were they so scared of me when there were people like Ganondorf and Hannah roaming around? All of these thoughts gave me a bit of an adrenaline rush, and I scrambled up the last bits of the cliffs in a flash, jumping up and over Hannah at the last second.

I did a quick flip in mid air then landed behind her with my sword drawn. “I don’t think so!” She spun and glared at me as she whipped her own sword out.

“Come on, Lya,” she said as her voice took on the friendly tone that I recognized from before, “can’t we all just get along?” she lunged at me after she said this, but I was waiting for it and I rolled out of the way.

“Like I’m really going to fall for that,” I kept my voice even as we circled each other, searching for openings.

She slashed out again, and we crossed swords, but we sprang about quickly and kept circling. There wasn’t any seriousness in this battle, at least, not yet.

“You look like you have something that you want to say,” Hannah said in a light tone as she struck at me again. I was a little slow blocking her this time, and she managed to give me a shallow cut on my side.

I let my hair fall over my eyes for an instant while I thought about how I wanted to respond. “Why are you helping Ganondorf?” I asked as I took a few steps back and stared at her.

“I already told you, you abandoned me to die. He offered me a position in his armies and a way to get back at you after he saw how much potential that I had,” she was trying to keep her tone even, but I could hear the slight quiver of anger in it.

“Hannah, I never abandoned you! I worked for Ganondorf all that time so that he wouldn’t hurt you. When I stopped, I was going to save you before he killed you so that we could keep him from hurting anyone else!”

We crossed swords again and the rage that had been building up in me all day exploded in a flurry of quick and powerful moves that knocked Hannah back several yards where she fell hard on her side. My rage started to fade to desperation as I watched her slowly pull herself back up, in obvious pain. Please believe me, I thought, please let there be something left of my old friend, enough to bring her back to her senses. Maybe I can still get her to turn against Ganondorf…

I watched her face as I thought this, and she looked up at me with an expression that told me that she might not be completely lost, not yet.

“Lya …” she looked up at me with such a remorseful expression that I started towards her, keeping my sword down and holding my hand out to her.

“Hannah, he doesn’t have control over you, you can fight back. You can keep him from winning. You know that he’s wrong; I can see it in your eyes. I know you don’t want-”

“SILENCE!!” Ganondorf shouted as he appeared between us, holding his own sword up just inches from my face. “You are done here!” He lunged at me, and I would have ended up with a sword through my eye if a flash of orange fire hadn’t smashed into his side, setting him slightly off balance. With his aim thrown off, he ended up giving me a nasty gash along my cheekbone, but that was it.

When he regained his balance a split second later I had dashed far enough away that he couldn’t reach me with a simple move. He spun and looked at Hannah with a murderous rage. She just stood in shock, whether at what she had just done or what Ganondorf was about to do, I’ll never know, because after that all hell broke loose.

I leapt in front of Hannah just as Ganondorf’s sword came crashing down at her and Link appeared where the trail met the ledge that we were standing on and he was screaming my name and Hannah was screaming my name and I felt all of my strength disappearing and Ganondorf was laughing as I fell. But with the last scrap of energy I had, I held up my sword just in time to see the blue stone in the hilt turn blindingly white. And then everything was gone in a flash of that brilliant, pure white.

When I came to I was lying in the middle of the forest.

Now did you read the news today?
They say the dangers gone away,
But I can see the fires still alight,
There burning into the night.

Last edited:

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t
Hooray!!! An update!!! Man, thought you were dead there for a second, Hero, but it's good to see you back. So, has Hannah finally broken free of Ganondorf's control? It definitely sounded like it at the end there, and I will be very happy if that is the case. Okay, so now, Lya has just fallen off the cliff and has been teleported (I think that's what happened) to the forest. Question, is it the forest in Hyrule or somewhere else? I mean, if she had been teleported, she could have ended up anywhere. Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more. Oh, one more question, what was the name of the song in this chapter? It didn't seem familiar to me.

HeartOfTheHero

Hooray!!! An update!!! Man, thought you were dead there for a second, Hero, but it's good to see you back.
hahaha, yeah it was quite a while. i don't know what was wrong with me, it was like i couldn't focus on this story no matter how hard i tried, and i didn't want to just write it to get it done, i really wanted to give it my full attention, and that just wasn't happening for a while, so that's why it took longer. but yeah, lol, i'm gonna work on this as much as i can to get it finished, because i think there's only going to be about 2 more chapters and then it's the end.

So, has Hannah finally broken free of Ganondorf's control? It definitely sounded like it at the end there, and I will be very happy if that is the case.
yeah it's sort of like that. she finally came to her senses and realized that Ganondorf was using her.

Okay, so now, Lya has just fallen off the cliff and has been teleported (I think that's what happened) to the forest. Question, is it the forest in Hyrule or somewhere else? I mean, if she had been teleported, she could have ended up anywhere.
right, well maybe i didn't explain this as much as i could have, but there is a connector at the end of this chapter to Shades of Gray. the stone in the sword turning that white color is really significant. if you remember, the stone that Link gives Lya in Shades of Gray was also white, and she was supposed to focus her energy through it to fix the timeline mess that she had caused. this is the same stone. that's all i'm gonna say about that.

Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more. Oh, one more question, what was the name of the song in this chapter? It didn't seem familiar to me.
hopefully it will come a lot sooner than the last few updates :)
the song was "Land of Confusion" by Genesis

Keeper of Memory

it is not too long! and don't you even think about cutting it. if i'm not allowed to cut my hair then you're not allowed to cut yours either.

hmmmm can I make you a deal?...you update your story in the next week and half and I won't cut it until marching band starts OR you don't update it and I cut it after prom. you can choose :D AND you don't have to take AP tests so it should be no problem

HeartOfTheHero

HA! I got it done! and just 2 1/2 hours short of the deadline you gave me Keeper!! no haircuts for you! :)

ok, so anyways, there is only one more chapter after this, so i hope you all enjoy this!
EDIT: the sooner you all respond the sooner i will post the last chapter, because i just finished it.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 29

I dreamed I was missing,
You were so scared,
But no one would listen,
‘Cause no one else cared

I stood slowly and looked around me. There was no sign of anything unusual anywhere around, just trees and bushes and the usual forest sights. Nothing to give me a sign of where I was.

After a few seconds, everything that had just happened hit me like a ton of bricks, and I staggered backwards a bit. I looked around again, but this time for signs of Link, Hannah, and even Ganondorf (although I wasn’t exactly thrilled at the possibility of finding him nearby). There was still nothing around that I could see, so I started walking slowly. I reached for my sword as an assurance that I still had something to protect myself with, but it was gone.

With a growing sense of dread I searched all around the clearing that I had woken up in, but my sword wasn’t there. No no no! What’s going on?! Where is it! I had it in my hand when I fell … when I fell… I looked up at the sky, but there were no cliffs anywhere in sight, not that I could see much, since the trees were so tall. How did I end up here? Where the hell am I anyway?!!

I started running blindly through the forest, crashing into bushes and trees and not caring that I was getting scratched and cut up from it. Why does stuff like this always have to happen? I ran past the last of the trees and found myself standing at the edge of cliff overlooking Hyrule castle, and the field where the battle took place earlier. Except it didn’t look like a battle had been fought there. It looked like it always had, green and open and clear, not a body or a bloodstain in sight. I just stood in shock looking down as people continued on with life like nothing was wrong.

“You’ve done well, young hero,” a voice behind said. I turned slowly, still dazed by the peaceful scene below me. Behind me stood the three goddesses of Hyrule. They circled me, and Farore and Nayru had small, approving smiles, while Din looked a bit less angry than she had the last time I had seen her.

“What’s happened here?” I asked, my voice shaking.

“You repaired the damage, young one,” Farore said gently as she reached out to touch my shoulder but I backed away.

“Okay, that’s good, but what does that mean, exactly?” I tried to keep the edge of panic out of my voice, but I didn’t do a very good job of it.

“The battle that was fought here earlier has been erased, in a sense,” Nayru started to explain. “All who perished during the battle have been returned to their families. This battle was a direct result of your interference, so when you used your power to repair Hyrule, time altered slightly, and the battle that you remember has never occurred for most of Hyrule’s citizens. Very few remember seeing you at all.”

“You mean…” my voice caught and I couldn’t breathe.

“Brave soul, you have done a good service here,” Farore smiled gently at me, “but you must realize that in order to erase the wrongs that occurred because of your deeds, your other actions had to be erased as well.”

I choked back a sob and sank to the ground. “Then that means…”

“It might not be as bad as you think,” Farore said.

“Indeed,” Nayru added in quickly, “there are a few who still remember you, at least a bit.”

I looked up at them with wide hopeful eyes, but their expressions weren’t exactly reassuring, although they did try. “So you’re saying that he’ll remember me a little, but he won’t remember everything?”

“It’s unlikely, dear,” Nayru responded.

Din stood watching me coolly, and when I looked over at her she held out my sword. “Take this, and try not to lose it again.” I stood and bowed as I took it from her.

“Wait, the stone’s gone from the hilt,” I looked up at them in confusion, “Where is it?”

“Somewhere safe,” they all said at the same time.

“You have a decision to make,” Din said impatiently, “You can stay in Hyrule or you can leave, travel to other worlds,” she started to say more but Nayru interrupted her.

“Not yet, she needs more time,” she turned back to me and said “Lya, we can give you a day to make up your mind. At this time tomorrow, you will understand your choice. Please choose carefully. We will return to hear your answer.”

“But-” before I could say anymore they disappeared. I sighed and looked at the castle, then my gaze drifted to the edge of the field, where I knew the village was just a little bit farther than I could see. I started walking.

The house looked the same as always, Link’s grandmother sitting on the porch and Epona grazing peacefully in the yard. I took a deep breath and walked up to the door, smiling at Link’s grandmother as I passed her. She just nodded and smiled back, so I assumed that she remembered me, at least a little bit.

When I got inside, Link was sitting at the table, looking over some old charts and maps. He looked up when I stood across from him and smiled a little.

“Hey, Lya. Is something wrong?” he asked as he saw my expression.

“No, nothing’s wrong,” I said quietly. “I’m just … tired, that’s all.” I turned towards the stairs and fought back tears. He doesn’t remember, he doesn’t remember everything that happened between us, I can tell, that look on his face, it’s just the one that one friend would give to another.

“Are you sure? You look upset…” he stood up and started to come closer.

“No, I’m fine,” I ran up the stairs before he could say more.

I grabbed the few belongings that were in my room and then looked around one last time. I sighed and climbed out the window. I didn’t want to have to explain to Link why I was leaving, or where I was going, because to be honest I wasn’t really sure. When my feet touched the ground, I turned around and found Link’s grandmother watching me.

“Leaving us?” she asked gently. I started shaking, trying to hold myself together, but I wasn’t doing a very good job. She came over to me and gave me a quick hug. “Do what you think is best, dear. Everything will come out right. Now go on. I won’t tell Link.” I tried to thank her but I knew if I said anything I would started sobbing my eyes out, and I guess she knew that because she just patted my shoulder and went back up to the porch.

I ran into the woods and found myself somewhere that I could hide until the next day. I already knew my decision, and I wished that the goddesses would show up and give me my choice so that I didn’t have to sit there and think about everything. As I sat thinking about everything, I dozed off.

Link stood in the doorway of my room, looking around like he didn’t know what to do. He walked in slowly, waiting for me to pop up somewhere, but then he realized that that wasn’t going to happen. He said down on my bed and closed his eyes sadly. A faint light glowed from under my bed, and he reached under to see what it was. When he held his hand up, the stone from my sword, the one that had been blue but was now the purest white, started glowing even brighter.

“Lya…” he closed his eyes again briefly, and when he opened them his expression had changed completely. He had the look on his face that I had hoped to see before, but it had been missing earlier. “Lya…” he said again. He looked at the stone, then set it down lightly on my nightstand and practically ran from my room.

I jerked up into a sitting position and gasped. Link… No, no second thoughts. You’ve made up your mind, and you’re going to go through with it.

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I’ve done,
Help me leave behind some
Reasons to be missed

Last edited:

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Hooray!!! Lya saved the day!!! No!!! Lya is now leaving Link and Hyrule!!! Why is she leaving? I mean, I get that Link and everyone else doesn't remember what happened (well, some people remember some things), but she should really just take this opportunity to start over, considering what she has just been through. Well, at least that is what I would have done. So, now seeing as Lya isn't me and is going to leave, what will happen now? I hope you explain yourself in the next chapter. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more. Oh, and what was the name of the song in this chapter? Doesn't sound familiar to me.

Keeper of Memory

soooooo I guess I don't get a haircut but I will tell you what I think tomorrow because I'm to tired to think and my fingers hurt to much to type from playing violin all day sorry

HeartOfTheHero

Hooray!!! Lya saved the day!!! No!!! Lya is now leaving Link and Hyrule!!! Why is she leaving? I mean, I get that Link and everyone else doesn't remember what happened (well, some people remember some things), but she should really just take this opportunity to start over, considering what she has just been through. Well, at least that is what I would have done. So, now seeing as Lya isn't me and is going to leave, what will happen now? I hope you explain yourself in the next chapter. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more. Oh, and what was the name of the song in this chapter? Doesn't sound familiar to me.
i don't think i explained it well enough, so i'd better explain it a bit better now.
she's leaving because she thinks that she has no hope of getting her relationship with Link back to where it had been. needless to say she's an emotionally wreck and is not thinking things through, just going on impulse, and her current impulse is to run far, far away and try to start over in a whole new place. Unfortunately for her, that doesn't work out very well, as we saw in Shades of Gray, where she made another big mess of things. the good thing there is that by the end of that little fiasco she's come to terms with the fact that she is a magnet for disaster, but eventually then manage to fix everything.
did that clear anything up?
the song was "Leave Out All the Rest" by Linkin Park

soooooo I guess I don't get a haircut but I will tell you what I think tomorrow because I'm to tired to think and my fingers hurt to much to type from playing violin all day sorry
oh, poor you. thanks for the feedback on it though, that was helpful, a little bit. sort of. lol.

and so, without further ado, i present to you: The Final Chapter.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 30​

My eyes are open wide
By the way, I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I’m leaving out today​

Hiding out in the woods for a whole day was not pleasant. It gave me the time to reflect on every single event that had happened in my life to lead me to this moment. I must say, it was a pretty weird list of stuff. But then again, nothing could really top the fact that I found the love of my life in a video game character who, let’s face it, shouldn’t even exist.

I sighed and started wandering slowly through the woods, letting my mind wander, trying to avoid any memories that were too painful to think about in my current mood. Before I could stop myself I was remembering the dream that I had had when I dozed off earlier. It had been sharp and clear, like my dreams about Hannah. I wonder if it will ever happen, I thought wistfully.

After walking for a few hours I ended up on the cliff where I had talked to the goddesses. The sun was just rising, and I realized that more time had passed than I had thought. I sat with my feet hanging off the edge and watched the castle and surrounding areas be highlighted by the sun as it came above the horizon.

“Lya.” I turned and found King Daltus looking down at me.

“Sir,” I started to jump to my feet but he gestured for me to stay where I was.

“It seems you were able to stop them,” he said, and a fleeting smile crossed his face as I stared up at him in shock.

“You … you remember?”

“It would seem so. Although I’m sure there are a few things that I’ve forgotten.” He looked fondly down at the fields and town, and finally out at the castle. “Not many know what this looked like a few days ago.”

“Yeah, I noticed,” I turned back to the sunrise and stared indifferently for a few moments. “So are you here to punish me for working for Ganondorf, like you all wanted to before?”

He threw his head back and let out a loud, booming laugh that made me jump. “Lya, as far as everyone else in Hyrule is concerned, it never happened, so I can’t very well punish you for it, now can I?” I considered this for a few seconds, then nodded. “And besides, you did everything in your power to right your wrongs, and you succeeded. There’s no reason to punish you, especially since I think you’ve been torturing yourself over some of the things that are out of your control.”

I gave him a wry smile and stood, turning my back on the glittering, beautiful scene of Hyrule at sunrise. “King Daltus, will you do me a favor?” I asked, my voice tight.

He put a hand on my shoulder and nodded encouragingly. “Leaving us are you? You’ll be missed.”

“I think it’s for the best. And besides, I doubt many people would miss me. It’ll be easier if I’m not around to cause any more trouble.”

“Lya, I can guarantee you that that’s not true, but you must do what you think is right. If it makes you feel any better, there isn’t a single person here that won’t miss you-” I turned to stare at him skeptically “-even Zelda. To an extent.” He laughed again as he turned to leave. “Just remember, you are always welcome here.

“Thank you, sir.”

After he had been gone for a while, three figures appeared around me, and fixed me with their penetrating gazes.

“Your decision?” they asked in unison.

I raised my gaze to theirs and gave my answer.

I’ve done the best I can
To make them realize
This is my life
I hope they understand
I’m not angry, I’m just saying
Sometimes goodbye is a second chance​

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
Aw, that was a really bittersweet ending. I mean, I really hate the fact that she is leaving, but I can totally understand her reasons. Well, I'm just glad that ultimately worked out in the end for Lya, as seen in Shades of Gray and Death/Return of a Hero. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to any other stories you write. Oh, and the song was "Second Chance" by Shinedown.

Keeper of Memory

well TwilightRiku_13 pretty much said it all but I have one thing to say...WHATS NEXT :D
anyway I loved the way you wrote Hannah can't wait for her to come back and cause more chaos XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back