• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lux Æterna - "Like KH mixed with Avatar but actually good"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
But with less retardation and an actually decent story. And some very welcome assistance from Sexual White Chocolate. Even fukken better.

It's several centuries into humanity's future; they've terraformed and colonised multiple worlds in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way and and have by this stage unlocked the secrets of superluminal travel. Midway through the 21st century, a star surrounded by a nebula was noticed, and over the course of human expansion into space, the properties of the star never seemed to waver. It maintained mass, brightness and temperature over centuries, as though being perfectly fed with matter despite still ejecting so much. Eventually, investigation was decided upon. And thus the star turned out to be the first-discovered 'white hole' and was dubbed Æterna.

Fed by the steadily-infalling matter of a black hole elsewhere in the Milky Way, the central 'star' is a seething mass of bright-blue fusion, while similar material is ejected out from the poles, similar to the axial ejecta from a black hole. The path of this ejecta is curved the strong gravitational and magnetic field of the sun to eventually curve around completely, where matter from either pole collides roughly in line with Æterna's equator. Stretched out in an energised disc billions of kilometres long, the tilted orbit of each planet results in them passing through this disc at regular intervals. The sky, seen from a world orbiting Æterna, glows a brilliant, ethereal blue.
The star carries around it a rather large assortment of planets, which begin their lives as hot-Jupiter worlds near to Æterna, but have the vast majority of their gaseous matter blown away until only the core and a thin atmosphere is left which, given its decreased mass, migrates outwards. Thus, the oldest worlds are the furthest out, the youngest closest. There are around two dozen worlds currently around the planet, one of which is a yet-to-be-stripped gas giant near the star; the rest are rock-and-metal worlds. Similar to Earth.

For some worlds, their passing through the energised ring is every couple years; for others it might be centuries. These events result in brilliant auroras that blanket the world weeks in advanced and after the passing. This process drenches the world in massive doses of radiation that would kill unshielded non-native life. The local flora and fauna, however, are hardened against harmful genetic and cellular mutations manifesting themselves in macroscopic forms. Because of this, mutations that occur either give rise to a wider variety of species, or change and benefit an existing species. So, life on each world remains fairly stable (or hectic in the event of a ridiculous amount of variation) until a passing comes around, after which life blossoms in all its voluminous variety.

Another unusual effect in the Æternasystem caused by the white hole is an inverse to the time dilation experienced by observers at a black hole's event horizon. In the Æterna system, time flows faster, though it returns closer to 'normal' the further out you move from the star. As such, when the first expedition of humanity crash-landed on a planet due overestimated shielding that failed to protect much of their electronics from the chaotic effects of passing through the disc with all its ionised matter. For those survivors, it was centuries before humanity's backup expedition came better prepared, though on the outside it was only a matter of years. The humanity that now lived in the Æterna system found themselves upon a world bathed in green flora and with very few natural predators. Free to roam around naked and safe if they wanted, they named the world Elysium - after the paradise that awaits beneath the ancient Greek underworld after one has passed their afterlife trials.

Aside from physiological changes in the people, something much more bizarre began to occur. Something akin to magic - telekinetic control over certain aspects of the world - were gained by a few individuals at first, though that number steadily grew with successive generations - even those with non-gifted parents. With dead electronics, the small fleet that they arrived on was repurposed as scrap metal that would later become armour, swords, and so on. Soon, the human race present on Elysium could hardly be called human anymore, and was so populous and various that several of the largest races set out to reach other worlds in the Æternasystem. By the time the second fleet arrived, 'humanity' held seven worlds, and was traversing to an eighth when the intruders arrived.

And the roleplays themselves occur a few decades later, when Neo-Humanity and Classical Humanity have entire worlds to themselves, and fight a war for dominance with magic and technology both so fantastical as to be in many ways indifferentiable.

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Re: Multi-world science-fantasy RP; needs developing

INHABITED WORLDS

Planets bearing life in the Æterna system. These are by no means the only large bodies, but they are the only ones of note for their resources, flora, fauna and/or phenomena. Two 'Hot Jupiter' gas giants persist very close to the central star, with a third at the stage where its atmosphere is being stripped away, leaving an outward spiral of aurora green in the otherwise blue energised disc extending from the star's equator. Planets devoid of life exist further out than Anubis, but their unstable orbits means they are on a slow, outward journey from Æterna, and will eventually be flung into interstellar space. Small planetoids orbit Æterna at very inclined angles, occasionally wrecking havoc with some planets as their orbits come close to intersecting.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Awards

Was that planet that was recently discovered inspire you to make Bermuda?

Anyway, what sort of idea's are floating around your head for development?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Was that planet that was recently discovered inspire you to make Bermuda?
Not really, nope.
Anyway, what sort of idea's are floating around your head for development?
Mostly ideas for more worlds and types of creatures and Neohumans. Also some events that people would like to see unfold or things that would be interesting given certain worlds.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.

Do you have a basic structure for a storyline? Or is that more for a later date?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Lol Mass Effect? :D
Nope. Called Illium for the ancient city at the centre of The Illiad and the Trojan War with its nigh-impregnable walls.
Do you have a basic structure for a storyline? Or is that more for a later date?
There can and will be some major events that happen outside the planets themselves, but since I'm hoping this is a bunch of roleplays occurring simultaneously, it's hard to say what the storyline will be in much detail. Overall, imagine it like James Cameron's Avatar but across multiple planets and a greater variety of creatures, better story, and with magic.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

It sounds really big...and exactly how many RPs would be going on at the same time? Would you be in charge of them all?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I don't mean the roleplays themselves are all happening at the same time. But I mean the stories that occur within all happen around the same in-universe time. There may be a dozen roleplays, there may only be one, it depends on how each one is received, though that there are so many worlds does mean that if one roleplay dies, it'd be worthwhile to pick up another and hope it survives with different characters and setting.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

I feel as if most largely scaled RP's such as this are EXTREMELY open-ended and could go haywire at any moment unless there's a clear course of action revealed from the start. And there'd have to be a good turnout for this as well. Although I do love where this is going.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member

I feel as if most largely scaled RP's such as this are EXTREMELY open-ended and could go haywire at any moment unless there's a clear course of action revealed from the start.

I disagree. The best roleplays are open-ended and involve the collaboration of roleplayers daring and capable enough to shape the story. Nobody wants to read off a script. Have a general sense of direction to fall back on, but leave the story undecided.

Also, I want to extend my support for this RP. I love the concept, and I'll be mulling over ideas for it.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I feel as if most largely scaled RP's such as this are EXTREMELY open-ended and could go haywire at any moment unless there's a clear course of action revealed from the start. And there'd have to be a good turnout for this as well. Although I do love where this is going.
If it's one roleplay at a time and it malfunctions we've got the space to simply dump a 'rogue' roleplay since many of them are only slightly directly connected.
Also of course there'll be a good turn out it's one of my RPs :D
Mind you, people knew me better in the roleplaying section as the infinity sign but the new name will become well known enough again anyway.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

If it's one roleplay at a time and it malfunctions we've got the space to simply dump a 'rogue' roleplay since many of them are only slightly directly connected.
Mind you, people knew me better in the roleplaying section as the infinity sign but the new name will become well known enough again anyway.

That's the spirit. :D

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

I disagree. The best roleplays are open-ended and involve the collaboration of roleplayers daring and capable enough to shape the story. Nobody wants to read off a script. Have a general sense of direction to fall back on, but leave the story undecided.

Good point =/

Lol well excuse me, I've been away from the RP section for some time now and I'm getting used to new names and such.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!

I fucking love this idea, Jezza. Fits into your space theme.

The biggest problem will be actually organising it, probably, so... good luck, I guess.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

The Roleplaying section needs more science fiction anyway. Not enough of it nowadays.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!

I agree, I also believe that if a Science-Fiction does exist; it should stray away from the usual generic science fiction themes [pre-uber awesome celestial advanced aliens/a race of aliens bent to kill humans (both reside in Halo/Mass Effect)].

Plus, no 'Sci-Fy' Which includes anything you would find on the Sci-Fy channel.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
In my bedroom sitting on my bed. I may pick up a b

What. SyFy has good things going for it. Like Stargate, Warehouse 13, Ani-Monday, Sanctuary, Eureka, Doctor Who, Torchwood, and the Sara Jane Adventures (the last three not anymore, but they were there).

---

Seems like it will turn out to be a massive battle/combat rp with all the worlds and species fighting for survival in the harsh solar conditions. Reminds me of that wolf mega-combat rp that happened here long ago. I wonder about the foundation for a story or stories. You could have towns and civilizations within each world, with each one's species and landscapes, like Star Wars variety empires, towns, and villages (dingy bars, bounty hunters). You could theoretically have an epic narrative across deserts, high mountains, deep forests, towns with their own histories and mythologies, and technology/magic societies. But I think again it could be limited to zerg ooziness what with the radioactivity and hyper solar activity and Stargate: Universe likeness with humans from outside trying to get in with their advanced ships and save everyone... or so they think. And superiors from the human government/military would influence the rescue mission postponing the rescue, cutting off resources, or coming in with full battalion to battle the hordes of mutants that inadvertently attacked one of their science division's scouts.. Could go so many open-ended ways with this.

Grammar Natzi time:

I only had this idea this morning, but I still feel (like many of my ideas, to sound arrogant but truthful) it has much potential. And being so new, of course it's got much development to go, but I've laid the foundations. If it turns out best, it'll be a series of roleplays occurring simultaneously across multiple planets, that entire solar system being at war. The working titles for the entire series, thus far, is Lux Æterna.
Cool.

It's several centuries into humanity's future, they've terraformed and colonised multiple worlds in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way, and they of course have superluminal travel available to them. Midway through the 21st century, a star surrounded by a nebula was noticed. But this star wasn't dying, in fact it seemed in a continual process of fairly efficient renewal: Blasting off matter at its poles, which was then bent by its intense magnetic field until the ejecta was brought crashing back into the system in line with the star's 'equator'. The sky, seen from a world orbiting Æterna, glows a brilliant, ethereal blue.

Over the course of human expansion into space, the luminosity and properties of the star never seemed to waver. It maintained mass and brightness and temperature over centuries, as though being perfectly fed with matter despite still ejecting so much. Eventually, investigation was decided upon. And thus the star turned out to be the first-discovered 'white hole' and was dubbed Æterna. Fed by the steadily-infalling matter of a black hole elsewhere in the Milky Way, the star carries around it a rather large assortment of planets, which begin their lives as hot-Jupiter worlds near to the planet, but have their 'atmospheres' blown away until only the core is left, which migrates outwards. Thus, the oldest worlds are the furthest out, the youngest closest. There are around two dozen worlds currently around the planet, one of which is a yet-to-be-stripped gas giant near the star, the rest are rock-and-metal worlds. Like Earth.
I had to reread to see where Æterna was mentioned. Mentioning Æterna before the star was named Æterna is anachronistic.

Fed by the steadily-infalling matter of a black hole elsewhere in the Milky Way,
I'm not quite sure that's how black holes work... Matter unhindered across the span of a galaxy to fall scrumptiously into a white hole? Unless there's a wormhole à la Stargate it's scientifically improbable.

but have their 'atmospheres' blown away until only the core is left,
This typically drains gases and kills all life, does it not? Especially as the atmosphere is not only altered as here on Earth but blown away to elsewhere not on the core, rescinding likelihood of recuperation since there's nothing to restore of a habitable ecosystem...

There are around two dozen worlds currently around the planet, one of which is a yet-to-be-stripped gas giant near the star, the rest are rock-and-metal worlds.
There ought to be a semicolon between star and rest. The two are members of clauses describing related but dissimilar ideas. One of the worlds are yet to be stripped of its atmosphere, the rest are dense worlds. One of the fruit is a mango, the rest are lychee. The comma is not strong enough to discern the differing ideas/images in their own divisions.

The high-energy collisions that occur between billions of tonnes of plasma and other energised matter at the 'equator' of Æterna leave a perpetually-energised disc around the planet, that every orbiting world passes through. For some, this is every couple of years. For others, there are centuries between each passing. These events result in auroras that light up entire worlds for weeks before and after a passing, drenching the planet and all its life in highly-mutagenic radioactivity that would kill or result in debilitating mutations, had the local inhabitants not adapted to these regular events. Instead, life remains unchanged and steady for years, but when a passing occurs, creatures feel energised by their world's current condition, at which time rampant mating and fighting for mates occurs. After that, you get hundreds of new species that may look nothing like their ancestors. Life on any world, even if it were a desert planet that had a passing every thousand years, is ridiculously varied.

Adjective clauses ought be without separating commas as normal adjectives are without. The image of worlds orbiting accompanies the energised disc.

The conditional clause "had the local inhabitants not adapted..." is analogous in semantics to "if the local inhabitants not adapted..." which does not require a preceding comma.

Making a note or speculative remark within a statement disrupts the flow and must use dashes to accentuate the disruption and perhaps the author's consideration of the disruption. "The cookie, even if it were a dingy one that had been chipped at by a diseased rat, is incredibly luscious." I put question marks around this as the switch in usage from comma to dash and vice versa depends on the gravity of the deviation from the point of the original statement.

Another unusual effect in the Æterna system caused by the white hole is an inverse to the slowing of time experienced by observers at a black hole's event horizon. In the Æterna system, time flows faster, though it returns closer to 'normal' the further out you move from the star. As such, when the first expedition of humanity crash-landed on a planet due to dead electronics killed by passing through the star's disc, [for those survivors, it was centuries before humanity's backup expedition came better prepared, though on the outside it was only a matter of years.] The humanity that now lived in the Æterna system found themselves upon a world bathed in green flora and with very few natural predators. Free to roam around naked and safe if they wanted, they named the world Elysium - after the paradise that awaits beneath the ancient Greek underworld after one has passed their afterlife trials.
"dead electronics killed by..." Redundant there. Like the meme. "Dead humans killed by chainsaws." I understand dead electronics cause crashes but that's awfully close to the edge of stark ungrammar.

I'm not sure why I bracketed the segment I bracketed. There's just something finicky about it... Maybe I'm just being nitpicky. Something about commas and relative perspective.

"after one has passed their afterlife trials." It is recommended that number be consistent. T'would be better to use his/her but then you'd have to choose one. His or her UURGH. SEXUALITY/ISM.

Aside from physiological changes in the people, something much more bizarre began to occur. Something akin to magic, where a few individuals with greatly-restructured brains were able to control parts of the world around them purely with the powers of their mind. With dead electronics, the small fleet that they arrived on was repurposed as scrap metal that would later become armour, swords, and so on. Soon, the human race present on Elysium could hardly be called human anymore, and was so populous and various that several of the largest races set out to reach other worlds in the Æterna system. By the time the second fleet arrived, 'humanity' held seven worlds, and was traversing to and eighth when the intruders arrived.
"Something much more bizarre began to occur: something akin to magic..."

What began to occur? Something akin to magic. You're introducing something Howarts train, at least go all the way and use a colon. Me being persnickety again.

I forgot why I noted "the people," "a few individuals," and "that they arrived on" on the paper I printed this thread on but it may have something to do with the ambiguity of 'which people changed?' After all the mention of mutations previously, now there is a collection of humans who developed their minds in such a way as to be somewhat wielders of semi-magic and arrived on a small fleet... Are these the original humans or "people" that evolved from the original humans and flew to this new planet with their own ships on their own volition?

How could you miss the last one? "to and eight" uffff-

And the roleplays themselves occur a few decades later, when Neo-Humanity and Classical Humanity have entire worlds to themselves, and fight a war for dominance with magic and technology both so fantastical as to be in many ways in indifferentiable.

in indifferentiable may have been intentional.

Planet time:

Now for some of the world's I've come up with. I'd like this list added to, of course.

Elysium - The world the first human settlers arrived upon. Much green pasture and Earth-like flora, with most fauna being birds, small mammals such as rodents, and the large mammals that on Earth would be like elephants, rhinoceri and hippopotami. Earth-like atmosphere, an ideal world to get hoplessly stranded on, really. Humanity steadily developed into Neohumanity on this world over about a single in-system century.

Poseidon - A planet on the outside of the goldilocks zone for Æterna, ninety percent of the surface is liquid water, the rest is land, though covered in ice. A thick blanket of fog and clouds always cover the world, which is home to the Leviathans. Home to the Neohuman Merpeople.

Inferno - A world much like Io, scaled up. Hot, dry, noxiously-atmosphered. Continually-extreme volcanic activity means the landscape changes almost as often as the local fauna does. Home to the dragons and Neohuman Dragonkin.

Gigas - The largest planet, though low density. A world covered in dense jungle all over, where mostly insects roam, though allowed to grow massive in the low-gravity world. Imagine mosquitoes as big as a man. Home +to Neohumanity's semi-insectoid branch of races.

Illium - A world with soaring mountain ranges that keep entire ecologies walled in without contact with hugely different species just kilometres away. The arrival of humanity changes all this, ->; centuries later this Neohumanity is dubbed the Mountainfolk, stoud -> stout? and with tall bodies for enlarged lungs to breath atop Illium's huge peaks.

Aegis - The pure-carbon core of an old gas giant. Devoid of life, but with a surface of graphite and mantle of diamond and core of fullerene. The ultimate resource for an empire like humanity's to exploit for their ships. The stronghold world for humanity in the Æterna system.

Bermuda - Named after the mythical storm that plagued humanity in their -> its early days of intercontinental travel. Stuck with one side always facing Æterna, temperature differentials between both sides whip up hurricanes to cover entire worlds. Along the terminal line between continual day and constant night reside the Neohuman Wingbearers.

'kay so. First off: Who named these worlds? A kind of moot question but it serves as a crucible point for the perspective in the rp. Humans are often the ones naming worlds with their languages and claiming discovery by the use of their minds. Among a variety of worlds and [possibly] civilizations, you may have one civilization taking the helm and naming, recording for posterity, and "monopolizing" worlds in its own image (by crazy/demented golden-hatted priests). Or is it by characteristics of each world that despite very different worlds, each species, race, civilization has a name translating very crudely to these words and names above? The rp maker might have just thought up these names for ease of roleplayers; naming convention. But I feel there must be a logic behind names/naming, for naming is a powerful power to have bestowed..

Also, what's a goldilocks zone? What's Io - a world in one of your previous RPs?

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I'm not quite sure that's how black holes work... Matter unhindered across the span of a galaxy to fall scrumptiously into a white hole? Unless there's a wormhole à la Stargate it's scientifically improbable.
Einstein-Rosen bridges may exist between black holes, which are basically worm holes. If you want to look into quirky science, I think if one of two quantum-entangled pieces of matter turned into a black hole, then the other would be jettisoning the matter the first one sucked in. QE'd particle A exhibits opposite properties to QE'd particle B. Conversely, a change in particle A will result in the opposite occurring in particle B.
This typically drains gases and kills all life, does it not? Especially as the atmosphere is not only altered as here on Earth but blown away to elsewhere not on the core, rescinding likelihood of recuperation since there's nothing to restore of a habitable ecosystem...
Iunno, panspermia. Maybe there's starseeds going about the Æterna system planting the building blocks of life on worlds, and the radiation and energy the worlds are bathed in causes life to emerge from that.
'kay so. First off: Who named these worlds?
These are the names given to the worlds by the second fleet to arrive. The natives of course use different phrases, but at least for now, these are the names we can go with.
A kind of moot question but it serves as a crucible point for the perspective in the rp. Humans are often the ones naming worlds with their languages and claiming discovery by the use of their minds. Among a variety of worlds and [possibly] civilizations, you may have one civilization taking the helm and naming, recording for posterity, and "monopolizing" worlds in its own image (by crazy/demented golden-hatted priests). Or is it by characteristics of each world that despite very different worlds, each species, race, civilization has a name translating very crudely to these words and names above? The rp maker might have just thought up these names for ease of roleplayers; naming convention. But I feel there must be a logic behind names/naming, for naming is a powerful power to have bestowed.
It could prove a culturally-interesting development to see if the Neohuman natives begin referring to their own worlds by the names of Humanity. Perhaps we can make outcasts who wield both 'magic' and technology, and use the human names for their homes?
Also, what's a goldilocks zone?
The goldilocks zone is an area between two distances from a star within which liquid water can exist and within which it is considered Earth-like life could survive fairly comfortably, if they also had an Earth-like world to live on.
What's Io - a world in one of your previous RPs?
A moon of Jupiter. It's the most volcanically-active body in the known universe.

Also I added two worlds, Fracture and Janus.

Last edited:

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

This is starting to get a little complicated for my simple mind...

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly would be the main plot of all this? What would tie / start / connect everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back