• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Love the old, Hate the new?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMS

I was reading comments on Youtube while listening to fragments of the OST for XIII-2, and, even though Final Fantasy constantly changes, reinvents itself, one thing seems to stay constant. And that is the fan base's hate for anything new. Before XIII-2 was announced, people hated on XIII, for any and everything, but reading through these comments, people seem to now be nostalgic about XIII, saying that they wish that XIII-2 was more like XIII, instead of the brilliance that is inside of XIII-2.

And then, I saw it. That's right, everyone always says that VII, VIII, or IX was the last good Final Fantasy, but there was someone who had posted "X was the last good Final Fantasy."

So, in short, it seems that Final Fantasy is almost, if not, entirely dependent on nostalgia, people seem to hate anything new, but as soon as something is newer, that earlier one looks brilliant.

So, what do y'all think about the majority of the fan base who are like this?

IMO, I just take'em as we get'em, I don't look to criticize, I just look to have a good time, and Square Enix has not let me down yet.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
This is not exclusive to Final Fantasy. Just about every long-running franchise has this kind of fanbase. Look at the way people hated on Zelda Windwaker when it came out and how everyone loves it now. The only franchise I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't get this reaction with every new game is Metal Gear Solid.

As for me, I like to see all the new changes with each new Final Fantasy. It shows progress.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I love every single one of the main games I've played, and the "side" ones too.I've only played II, IV, VII, X, XII, XIII, Crisis Core, Duodecim/Dissidia and I love every single one of them, even though I've finished only one of those main games.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I've loved every entry I've played, and I have beat the first 7.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don't know. I loved playing VIII and VII for an example from the start. I hated XII and XIII from the beginning because they were boring from the start.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
People did love those Final Fantasy games when they came out I can tell you, but there was a specific vocal reaction against IX, X, and any that followed.

Given how close IX was to VII in terms of release, I'd have to say it is less to do with nostalgia and more to do with some people just not liking change.

Of course the changes Final Fantasy has endured is what makes the series unique and well loved, however there has always been a very vocal minority. I think XIII is the first FF game in my memory where more people genuinely disliked it to liked it, and that includes X-2.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
IMO the ps1 FF games were the best generation. But I love X and unlike a lot of people I love XII and I adore XIII, but the PS1 FF games are still my favorite because they combine deep stories with that classic FF feeling. I would love to see them pull that off with FFXV.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
I love the new ones more, because they bring different things to the table, I know some people hate the new ones because the stories suck. But It all comes down to opinion, and personally I love FF13 and I liked FF12.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
The first rule of Final Fantasy: The newest Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy until the new one comes out.

It's been in effect as long as I've been following the series.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
Makes sense, I like your thinking Sham :D I'm just hoping that we get atleast 13 Versus this year and not wait another year.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
I don't hate XII, then again I have not played it.

I originally disliked XII, but replaying it again recently, I'm starting to enjoy it. And I haven't even got near to the Gambits yet. From what I remembered playing years ago, I might've disliked it a little, but I still preferred XII over X.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
I originally disliked XII, but replaying it again recently, I'm starting to enjoy it. And I haven't even got near to the Gambits yet. From what I remembered playing years ago, I might've disliked it a little, but I still preferred XII over X.
And that good sir is your way of thinking. I have mine, let's leave it at that.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
In most fanbases, the people with complaints and grievances tend to be the most vocal. While the people who are satisfied usually don't say much about it.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

What I would suggest with Gambits is to use them to creatively play with the UI rather than automate everything menial like attacking and healing.

One thing I thought was fun was to give each character a sort of job or affinity with their gambits. Such as Penelo being a healer or Basch being only physical-oriented. I even gave each character an elemental affinity at one point.

It's wonderfully fun to play around with, and I would recommend it.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
Also don't use a guide as it takes away all the fun. It's a wonderfully organic system if you learn it naturally. I suspect that many who disliked gambit used guides, as the ff series is so closely linked to pretty official guides.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
What I would suggest with Gambits is to use them to creatively play with the UI rather than automate everything menial like attacking and healing.

One thing I thought was fun was to give each character a sort of job or affinity with their gambits. Such as Penelo being a healer or Basch being only physical-oriented. I even gave each character an elemental affinity at one point.

It's wonderfully fun to play around with, and I would recommend it.

Oh I can now see why the Gambit is a very beloved system. I can't wait to get to the Gambits (still soloing as Vaan, Grindin) and I really love the locations. Sure, the story isn't up to scratch, but the whole world is well-crafted and you can definitely get a sense of culture (much more than other FFs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back